The simFlight Network Forums

PSS Dash 8 Problem

Dear Peter,

I seem to be having problems with my PSS Dash 8, I am not sure whether the problem is FSUIPC or PSS Dash 8 itself. I've posted on the PSS Support forum but the PSS staff doesn't seem to know what the solution is and I was just thinking maybe you might know how to fix this problem.

Firstly the problem is as follows, everytime I load PSS Dash 8 up at my location, it freezes for 20 seconds, then comes back alive for a few seconds. After, it keeps repeating at about the same times. This problem makes the Dash 8 unsuable.

I removed FSUIPC 3.30 from the Modules folder and the PSS Dash 8 did NOT freeze although it didn't function properly with Autopilot, the autopilot kept swaying from side to side, this of course means FSUIPC is compulsory in order to run PSS Dash 8 properly, however when I do have FSUIPC 3.30 in the Modules folder, the freezing problem comes back.

I have updated ALL software I can think of, I have DirectX 9.0c, Windows XP Pro SP2, My graphics card driver is updated to the newest and everything else I can think of that might be causing this problem I have updated.

I am hoping that you'd have a solution to this problem Peter or anyone else who managed to solve this problem, it'd be greatly appreciated if you can share with me how you or how to overcome this problem. I need the PSS Dash 8 very desperately! :cry:

BEST Regards,

Captain J

Firstly the problem is as follows, everytime I load PSS Dash 8 up at my location, it freezes for 20 seconds, then comes back alive for a few seconds. After, it keeps repeating at about the same times. This problem makes the Dash 8 unsuable.

I removed FSUIPC 3.30 from the Modules folder and the PSS Dash 8 did NOT freeze

Is your FSUIPC user registered? If not it may be that the aircraft is failing to register itself correctly and doing lots of retries. An FSUIPC Log file would be useful in that case.

Otherwise, please first retry it with version FSUIPC 3.40 which is being released today. If there is still a problem we'll have to work out how to get additional information.

Odd that there have been no other such reports. Is this a very new add-on aircraft?

Regards,

Pete

Thanks for your reply Peter. No, I do not have the registered version of FSUIPC.

If I don't have FSUIPC the PSS Dash 8 still doesn't function properly. The autopilot sways from side to side so I need FSUIPC, but when I have FSUIPC, it starts to freeze.

I am looking forward to your new version, what time will it be released today?

Also, just to let you know there are users who CAN use it and also users who have the same problem as me so I hope to get this problem fixed if anyone knows the solution. I will give your new version a try first, I really need the PSS Dash 8 so anyone who knows the solution, please help :(

EDIT: No this is not a new aircraft, Phoenix Simulation Software Dash 8-300 series.

Thanks for your reply Peter. No, I do not have the registered version of FSUIPC.

In that case it almost certainly is a registration problem. where's the Log?

If I don't have FSUIPC the PSS Dash 8 still doesn't function properly. The autopilot sways from side to side so I need FSUIPC, but when I have FSUIPC, it starts to freeze.

Yes, you said that.

I am looking forward to your new version, what time will it be released today?

It's on the Schiratti site now, I just checked. Enrico is fast today! :wink: However, if it is a registration problem it still won't work -- but the Log should be more useful.

Also, just to let you know there are users who CAN use it and also users who have the same problem as me

Is it related to whether FSUIPC is user registered or not? That would be a big clue!

EDIT: No this is not a new aircraft, Phoenix Simulation Software Dash 8-300 series.

So, has the problem suddenly just appeared, recently? If so what changed? If not, why hasn't it been reported before?

Is the aircraft actually made for FS2004 or are using an FS2002 aircraft in FS2004. Or, even, are you using FS2002?

Finally, I notice you wrote "everytime I load PSS Dash 8 up at my location ..." Does the "at my location" part imply that it is okay when loaded up someplace else -- i.e. related to scenery?

Regards,

Pete

Hello Peter,

So, has the problem suddenly just appeared, recently? If so what changed? If not, why hasn't it been reported before?

The problem has occured from the day I bought PSS Dash 8.

Is the aircraft actually made for FS2004 or are using an FS2002 aircraft in FS2004. Or, even, are you using FS2002?

The aircraft can be used on FS2004 as far as the website says. Other users can use it with no problem, it seems to be some who don't have the problem and some that do. It's random I think.

********* FSUIPC, Version 3.30 by Pete Dowson *********

User Name=""

User Addr=""

FSUIPC not user registered

WIDEFS not user registered, or expired

Module base=61000000

ClassOptions: UIPCMAIN=FF7F, FS98MAIN=FF7F, FS2KMAIN=FF5E

WeatherOptions(Orig)=0000B027[0000B027]

InitDelay: 0 seconds

WeatherReadInterval=4

LogOptions=00000001

DebugStatus=0

5828 System time = 19:34:20

5828 \\WANG\WANG C\Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004\

5828 System time = 19:34:20, FS2004 time = 12:00:00 (00:00Z)

22750 FLIGHTS\OTHER\FLTSIM.flt

22859 AIRCRAFT\c172\Cessna172SP.air

22859 Aircraft="Cessna Skyhawk 172SP"

32516 Module identified = "PMDGOptions.DLL"

32516 ModuleOK="PMDGOptions.DLL"

87641 AIRCRAFT\PSS Dash8\Dash8-300.air

87641 Aircraft="PSS Dash 8 300 "Q" Rollout"

89000 Module identified = "PSS-Dash8Q.GAU"

89000 ModuleOK="PSS-DASH8Q.GAU"

139406 C:\Documents and Settings\747\My Documents\Flight Simulator Files\UI generated flight.flt

149766 Clear All Weather requested: external weather discarded

167187 Advanced Weather Interface Enabled

269906 Traffic File #14 = "scenery\world\scenery\traffic030528"

280344 Traffic File #15 = "scenery\world\scenery\traffic_pai"

627344 System time = 19:44:41, FS2004 time = 12:36:29 (02:36Z)

627344 *** FSUIPC log file being closed

Memory managed: 2 Allocs, 722 Freed

********* FSUIPC Log file closed ****

I am now going to install FSUIPC 3.40 and see how it goes, I will reply back how it goes. Thank you very much with your assistance so far, it has been very helpful and I'm very grateful.

The problem has occured from the day I bought PSS Dash 8.

Which was when? Last year, or recently? I'm trying to get a feel for whether this problem is something that has developed, maybe through FSUIPC changes, or in fact is some sort of bug in the PSS code.

The aircraft can be used on FS2004 as far as the website says.

Ah. Implying that it was designed for FS2002? Have any updates been provided for FS2004, or since FS2004 was released?

Incidentally, the log shows nothing wrong, but I see that you also have PMDGoptions.DLL installed. Could you just try it with that temporarily removed from the Modules folder?

I am now going to install FSUIPC 3.40 and see how it goes, I will reply back how it goes.

Okay, please let me see the log from that, and also try without PMDGoptions.DLL installed.

Regards,

Pete

Hello Peter,

I will remove PMDG Module to test whether it will work. I've only just purchased this product recently but from what I'm ready, this problem has been occuring ever since the FS2004 version of it came out. Thanos, another user who has talked to you before is having exactly the same problem and I seriously hope to have it fixed soon as I really need this aircraft.

I think it'd be mostly a bug in the PSS code, if this so what can you, PSS or I do to fix this bug?

I will post the log in a few minutes after I've tried it. Thanks

Here is the FSUIPC 3.40 Log without PMDGoptions.DLL, the PSS Dash 8 still doesn't function properly.

********* FSUIPC, Version 3.400 by Pete Dowson *********

User Name=""

User Addr=""

FSUIPC not user registered

WIDEFS not user registered, or expired

Module base=61000000

ClassOptions: UIPCMAIN=FF7F, FS98MAIN=FF7F, FS2KMAIN=FF5E

WeatherOptions(Orig)=0000B027[0000B027]

InitDelay: 0 seconds

WeatherReadInterval=4

LogOptions=00000001

DebugStatus=0

5125 System time = 20:19:05

5141 \\WANG\WANG C\Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004\

5141 System time = 20:19:05, FS2004 time = 12:00:00 (00:00Z)

19344 FLIGHTS\OTHER\FLTSIM.flt

19484 AIRCRAFT\c172\Cessna172SP.air

19828 Aircraft="Cessna Skyhawk 172SP"

64406 AIRCRAFT\PSS Dash8\Dash8-300.air

64750 Aircraft="PSS Dash 8 300 "Q" Rollout"

66312 Module identified = "PSS-Dash8Q.GAU"

66344 Module "PSS-DASH8Q.GAU" access registration is okay

104703 C:\Documents and Settings\747\My Documents\Flight Simulator Files\UI generated flight.flt

115547 Clear All Weather requested: external weather discarded

132828 Advanced Weather Interface Enabled

220094 Traffic File #14 = "scenery\world\scenery\traffic030528"

225469 Traffic File #15 = "scenery\world\scenery\traffic_pai"

326828 System time = 20:24:27, FS2004 time = 13:19:48 (03:19Z)

326828 *** FSUIPC log file being closed

Memory managed: 2 Allocs, 158 Freed

********* FSUIPC Log file closed ****

Here is the FSUIPC 3.40 Log without PMDGoptions.DLL, the PSS Dash 8 still doesn't function properly.

Okay. It certainly isn't registration being any problem.

I've only got one other straw to clutch at. Add

[buttons]

PollInterval=50

to the FSUIPC.INI file, before running FS. Let me know. Up till now this has only been needed with Win98/Me/2K installations, and is defaulted that way now in FSUIPC 3.40. I've had no problems reported with WinXP, but try it just in case.

If that doesn't work, switch on IPC read and write logging in FSUIPC's Logging options page (ALT M F). Do this BEFORE loading the Dash8. The file may get huge. ZIP it and send it to petedowson@btconnect.com.Don't keep those options enabled afterwards.

Regards,

Pete

Peter,

I've added

[buttons]

PollInterval=50

and it still doesn't seem to be fixing the problem.

If that doesn't work, switch on IPC read and write logging in FSUIPC's Logging options page (ALT M F). Do this BEFORE loading the Dash8. The file may get huge. ZIP it and send it to petedowson@btconnect.com. Don't keep those options enabled afterwards.

What is IPC read and how do I switch it on? I'm not very sure on what to do, sorry.

Hello Pete,

It is getting late over here in Australia so I have to get some sleep. Thanos68 might take over me on trying out the solutions and if the solution is successful he will contact me.

If not, we can continue this tomorrow. Thank you very much for your help today, talk to you tomorrow. Again I say, if anyone knows a solution to this problem PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell us :cry:

I've added

[buttons]

PollInterval=50

and it still doesn't seem to be fixing the problem.

I'm not surprised. It would be really puzzling if it did. It was only a straw, nearly the last.

What is IPC read and how do I switch it on?

Er, as I said "switch on IPC read and write logging in FSUIPC's Logging options page (ALT M F)."

The Logging page has a tab entitled "Logging" and there you will see checkboxes for IPC read and IPC write logging. I thought I was completely explicit? How wasn't I?

Regards,

Pete

Ok, so I'm not asleep yet. Pete, it's not your fault I just didn't know what IPC reading and the logging in thing was.

Where can I find the Logging page?

Er, as I said before twice "switch on IPC read and write logging in FSUIPC's Logging options page (ALT M F)."

When you press ALT M F in FS the FSUIPC options comes up, as it always has when FSUIPC is installed. It's part of the Modules menu. Can you not see the tab marked Logging? How is it you cannot use FS menus? I'm getting very confused here as to why you are not understanding even how to do keypresses. :cry:

Please, please, please take a little time one day to at least peruse the FSUIPC User guide. It would save a lot of time and anguish.

Regards,

Pete

I am starting to think that the problem is the PSSDHC8.mdl and dash8-300.AIR files that come with PSS.

However, I will give your instructions a try and send it to your email. I hope you can find a solution to this problem with the file I am going to send you, good luck! Sorry for getting your confused, I get it now. :oops:

I am starting to think that the problem is the PSSDHC8.mdl and dash8-300.AIR files that come with PSS.

You could just test with different (FS2004 default) MDL and AIR files, for the closest aircraft to the Dash 8. It would at least show whether it's gauge code or not. Really I think it must be the latter because, as you say, there's no delay when FSUIPC isn't there. The delay is therefore something the code is doing after it successfully connects to FSUIPC.

All I'm trying to do with the Logging is see whether the gauge code is looping furiously doing silly things across the FSUIPC interface. If it looks normal, then it is something it is doing elsewhere but only after successful connection.

Regards,

Pete

You should recieve the 'FSUIPC Log IPC Read.zip' pretty soon. I've just sent it to petedowson@btconnect.com

Yes, thank you. I've got it. Of course, since you only enabled IPC read logging and not both read and write logging, as I asked, it does only contain part of the story.

However, if we assume that it doesn't do many writes, and also that at least they are not occurring in the gaps that appear, then the Log is a bit useful. Not for me, but for you in your bug report to PSS I think.

The access the aircraft makes to FSUIPC is fast and furious and appears to be all good stuff, but there are long gaps (hopefully not full of writes which you didn't log):

After the Gauge registered itself, here:

179516 Module "PSS-DASH8Q.GAU" access registration is okay

there was immeidately a 46 second delay till it started doing anything else with FSUIPC:

225172 READ0 32FC, 2 bytes: 02 00

That seems an awfully long time, but it may well be that you are using the initial Flight menu in FS, and I see the aircraft is loaded as your default aircraft, so the gauge will load early, long before all the scenery and stuff is loaded.

It might be a good idea if you changed your default Flight to load some default aircraft, then changed to the PSS Dash 8. There are many problems reported with most versions of FS when complex aircraft are loaded by FS initially, before it is fully initialised. I think some of the more sophisticated gauges do things which are really not proper that early.

There are then good sequences of FSUIPC interface activity, interspersed with delays. The first such is about 35 seconds, till:

259985 READ0 32FC, 2 bytes: 02 00

then a 6 second delay:

266485 READ0 32FC, 2 bytes: 02 00

and another 48 seconds:

315500 READ0 F000, 2 bytes: 28 00

and finally one of 31 seconds:

346235 READ0 32FC, 2 bytes: 02 00

I hope the FSUIPC log file I just sent you will be able to help you solve the problem.

Sorry, it is not a problem I can solve -- evidently the whole freezing sequence is inside the gauge (or as you say, the MDL perhaps). But try with a default FS aircraft loading first, as default (this means going to the flights menu and selecting a default flight and marking it as default, then closing FS and starting again). Load up your PSS Dash 8 after FS is up and running and "ready to fly". If you get the same problem report all you've learned and collected today to PSS. If you don't get the problem, then I'm afraid that is the way you will need to run in future. It means the aircraft is doing something too sophisticated for FS before it is fully enabled.

Regards,

Pete

Thank you for your help Peter, you have done all you could and I'm very grateful. Also, thank you very much for your time.

I have emailed PSS Support and they will send me their working .MDL, .GAU and .AIR files. I will let you know how it goes, once again thank you.

Thank you for your help Peter, you have done all you could and I'm very grateful. Also, thank you very much for your time.

I have emailed PSS Support and they will send me their working .MDL, .GAU and .AIR files. I will let you know how it goes, once again thank you.

Okay. Thanos got in touch too and sent me another log with writes shown too. I think this locates the places the gauge us freezing rather more accurately so I asked him to send the details to PSS.

Meanwhile, I found a copy of the PSS Dash 8 on my PC (I think they sent it to me to check something a while back), and I've just flown a short flight with it in FS2004, manually, using the normal 2D cockpit, and it ran as smoothly as I would expect. Certainly no freezing at all. So, am I one of the "lucky ones" or is there something different about my installation?

The main PSS Dash 8 gauges I have are pretty old, though -- PSS-Dash8.gau is version 1.0.0.1 and dated 15/12/2002, and the PSS-Dash8Q.gau is the same. This is way before FS2004 of course, and they don't register themselves for access into FSUIPC, so they won't run on a non-registered FSUIPC.

Yes, do please let me know how you get on, too.

Regards,

Pete

A user has sent me their .GAU, .MDL, .AIR files and I overwrited my original ones but it didn't seem to change anything.

Either me or Thanos will keep you updated on how this goes and I hope PSS will look into this problem more deeply than they currently are. If you don't mind, can you please send them an email of what you think the problem is, so they know this is a problem they have to look into and it's pretty serious for the users who are experiencing it.

I certainly hope to get this problem fixed soon :cry:

Regards,

Captain J

If you don't mind, can you please send them an email of what you think the problem is

Well, I would if I had any idea. I'll see if I can get the latest version first and see if it happens here -- it certainly doesn't happen on my PC with the old FS2002 version of the Dash 8, that flies fine in FS2004.

Otherwise I'm afraid all I can do is show you how to get the evidence together to send to PSS. I already did that with the log you sent, but Thanos' has a better log and more precise data he can report.

Regards,

Pete