The simFlight Network Forums

FSoffsets

Pete,

I know this may be repeating question "where do I find offset for..." and you could tell us to look at manual on offset tables.

Well this time, I have already looked through offsets table and got real confused. What I am doing now is trying to get rotary switches(button) from EPIC to work with FS MCP turning knobs such as Alt,Hdg,IAS and V/S and unfortunately the offset that I found such as 07CC for Heading, 07D4 for Altitude, 07E2 for IAS and 07EC for V/S doesn't work through and I found this was used for displaying such as seven segment digit display. So what would be the correct offset that can increase or decrease the knobs in FS?

Let me know

Thanks

I found the offset-- mayne! assume:

1016--> Alt var decrease fast -1000

1017--> Alt var increase fast +1000

1020--> Ias var decrease fast -10

1021--> Ias var increase fast +10

1022--> V/S var decrease fast -1000

1023--? V/S var increase fast +1000

1024--> Heading bug var decrease fast -10

1025--> Heading bug var increase fast +10

But what are the bits? must it be defined in C++ format? Let me know

Arthur

I found the offset-- mayne! assume:

1016--> Alt var decrease fast -1000

1017--> Alt var increase fast +1000

1020--> Ias var decrease fast -10

1021--> Ias var increase fast +10

1022--> V/S var decrease fast -1000

1023--? V/S var increase fast +1000

1024--> Heading bug var decrease fast -10

1025--> Heading bug var increase fast +10

But what are the bits? must it be defined in C++ format? Let me know

Arthur

They are not offsets! How did you arrive at such a misconception, please? Surely my documentation is not that bad? :cry:

They are FS control numbers -- you are looking in the FSUIPC added control numbers list. Controls are programmed to Keys or Button presses. Please review the text at the start of the list in the Advanced User's documentation.

You can send then to FSUIPC across the IPC interface if you wish -- use offset 3110, as documented. But from an EPIC you seem to be going about it in a very odd and complex manner.

Going back to your first message:

What I am doing now is trying to get rotary switches(button) from EPIC

If the rotaries are producing button presses, simply go to FSUIPC's Buttons page and program the controls there. That's what it is all about. I used EPIC up till a few years ago, and most all of the facilities for buttons I ever added were intended to be used this way. Why are you trying to find offsets?

More puzzling is that you go on to say:

unfortunately the offset that I found such as 07CC for Heading, 07D4 for Altitude, 07E2 for IAS and 07EC for V/S doesn't work through and I found this was used for displaying such as seven segment digit display. So what would be the correct offset that can increase or decrease the knobs in FS?

In fact all of those offsets most certainly DO work -- when written to with the correct values, those values will change on the FS A/P MCP displays. But you need to get the units correct, of course. As documented:

07CC is a 16bit word arranged so that the full range 0-FFFF gives 0-359.999... (this is a standard way of representing headings in FS).

07D4 is a 32 bit value with metres in the high 16 bits and 1/65536ths of metres in the low 16 bits (i.e. the whole value is 65536 x metres).

and so on.

If you are simply trying to increment or decrement values like this by 1, obviously they won't change very fast -- the heading will change to 360/65536ths of a degree, and the altitude by 1/65536th of a metre, for each such increment/decrement.

I don't understand why you want offsets when you so clearly can use either the standard FS controls or the extensions added by FSUIPC which you have found and listed. Simply program the buttons.

Regards,

Pete

They are not offsets! How did you arrive at such a misconception, please? Surely my documentation is not that bad?

First of all, your documentation isn't bad. Secondly, I didn't come with any misconception... It's just that I was going way around doing some experiment. this is why I said "Maybe!, I assume!"

You can send then to FSUIPC across the IPC interface if you wish -- use offset 3110, as documented. But from an EPIC you seem to be going about it in a very odd and complex manner.

So offset 3110 is it? And can they use same offset for all of four rotary switches (HDG,ALT,IAS, and V/S)?

If the rotaries are producing button presses, simply go to FSUIPC's Buttons page and program the controls there. That's what it is all about. I used EPIC up till a few years ago, and most all of the facilities for buttons I ever added were intended to be used this way. Why are you trying to find offsets?

I know I could simply program button in FSUIPC button page But, what I am here trying to do is learning how to implement codes or write anything in EPL and see how it can work with FS.Just for my benefit. The offset is the only issue that got me confused.

I don't understand why you want offsets when you so clearly can use either the standard FS controls or the extensions added by FSUIPC which you have found and listed. Simply program the buttons.

Well to give you specific answer, I am setting up timing interval for rotary switches in EPL... I dont know if I can do anything with Timing in FSUIPC button page as of yet.

So offset 3110 is it? And can they use same offset for all of four rotary switches (HDG,ALT,IAS, and V/S)?

Offset 3110 (control number) and 3114 (parameter, if any) is where you write ANY control -- be it a standard FS control, or an added FSUIPC control. It has nothing specifically to do with any aspect of FS. Please check it in the table.

I know I could simply program button in FSUIPC button page But, what I am here trying to do is learning how to implement codes or write anything in EPL and see how it can work with FS.Just for my benefit. The offset is the only issue that got me confused.

Writing to FSUIPC offsets from EPL is not an easy thing in any case. Are you using EpicInfo for this? You can only write 16 bits at a time via "soft axes", so it gets very complex (you need up to 64 bits for controls, for instance). I would have thought there would be better ways of spending time programming EPL, really. :wink:

Well to give you specific answer, I am setting up timing interval for rotary switches in EPL... I dont know if I can do anything with Timing in FSUIPC button page as of yet.

You don't need to if you control the timing of the button state changes in EPL. For that matter it isn't any different doing offsets of button programming except the latter much much easier.

Regards,

Pete