The simFlight Network Forums

Aircraft Title readout problem

Hello Peter,

I'm helping Marty Bochane out with adding aircraft to the FSEconomy system. FSeconomy is basically a virtual GA world where you rent planes and find jobs on the website, and then through a small program that interfaces via FSUIPC interacts directly with flightsim. FSEconomy uses the aircraft's title field through FSUPIC to identify the aircraft.

I'm trying to add the Flight Factory Simulations Van's RV-7 to FSeconomy, but for some reason the test aircraft function (in the FSEconomy application which uses the aircraft title through FSUIPC to identify an aircraft) did not work. So I looked at the aircraft.cfg file for something odd about the title. I figured it out, here is an example of how it's aircraft.cfg title field looks like.

[fltsim.0]

title=Van's RV-7

I tried removing that ' from the title making it Vans RV-7 and sure enough it worked. So my question is; Is the FSeconomy program having a problem with ' in the title, or is it FSUIPC that is. I'm sending this to both Marty of FSEconomy and Pete of FSUIPC to get this figured out ASAP.

The problem is even if we got all the users to get rid of the ' in the titles - there is a dynamic aspect of this aircraft that I believe will edit the Aircraft.cfg file, so doing so may damage the full features (maintenance, aircraft gets dirty with time etc.). In that case I would have to talk to the FFS team which I will.

Anyways I'd love to get this plane added to FSEconomy but it looks like we have this obstacle to overcome first.

So if either of you guys could give me some input on this that would be great!

Pete is away until April 2nd. As far as I know FSUIPC reads the aircraft name thru a specific offset (my program does it) since this is just a set of up to 255 bytes there is no obvious reason why FSUIPC should not pass what it sees - a sequence of bytes. Provided that the ASCII code for ' is less than 255 then it should pass through. If memory serves me it is decimal 39 so it should be fine.

Which programming language are you using and are you using the standard SDK code for FS interfacing? I must admit that I cannot remember reading a plane name in which had a ' in it - but I will try it next time I have my development environment open. With VB.Net I read the data as an array of bytes and then convert them in a loop to a string using the Chr() function to change the byte into a character

Hello Jon, thanks for the answer. I'm not the one making the program, so I do not know what program he is using. But if FSUIPC just outputs the clear text then it should be fine. I have never seen a ' in an aircraft title before either, the aircraft is made by Flight Factory Simulations, fun little thing too.

I'll forward this info to Marty - the guy making the program, thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

[fltsim.0]

title=Van's RV-7

I tried removing that ' from the title making it Vans RV-7 and sure enough it worked. So my question is; Is the FSeconomy program having a problem with ' in the title, or is it FSUIPC that is. I'm sending this to both Marty of FSEconomy and Pete of FSUIPC to get this figured out ASAP.

It must be the program. FSUIPC doesn't care what characters are included. It just allows so many and stops when it sees the terminating zero. You can check this with FSInterrogate, or simply looking at the Flaps section of the FSUIPC Joystick options.

Regards,

Pete