The simFlight Network Forums

Joystick decoupling

Hi,

Many thanks for providing FSUIPC! I'm using the SDK and have following question:

Using some offsets the controls can be decoupled from the joystick (310A,

3328-3337).

1) When doing this, is the autopilot also decoupled? (Can I have an activated

autopilot that is prevented from making interactions by this decoupling?)

2) If yes: Is it possible to allow this decoupling also for the trim (pitch)

axes because this would allow to decouple also the autopilot's vertical modes.

2) If no: Is it possible to provide such a decoupling? I would like to apply

own autopilot control functionality thus requiring that the default autopilot

stops interaction (while still being able to activate its modes).

Thank you very much for your answers!

Martin

Using some offsets the controls can be decoupled from the joystick (310A,

3328-3337).

1) When doing this, is the autopilot also decoupled? (Can I have an activated autopilot that is prevented from making interactions by this decoupling?)

No, the de-coupling of the joystick inputs is precisely there to allow you to provide your own control. It is nothing to do with the autopilot -- joystick inputs are normally ignored in any case when the appropriate autopilot modes are engaged (though this is not necessarily particularly realistic -- significant movements of the yoke should auto-decouple the A/P in many aircraft).

It you want the A/P to be deactivated, just switch it off. It is that easy.

2) If no: Is it possible to provide such a decoupling? I would like to apply own autopilot control functionality thus requiring that the default autopilot stops interaction (while still being able to activate its modes).

No, it is not possible to use the FS A/P without the FS A/P doing anything. What do you think switching it and its modes on and off would do -- if they did nothing, why switch them? It makes no sense. If you want to implement your own A/P (as many have done) then you ignore the FS switches (leave them off) and implement your own, for your own A/P. You can decouple the joystick inputs and feed in your own values according to your own A/P switches. For safety you probably would specify that the aircraft has no autopilot (in the Aircraft.CFG file).

Regards,

Pete

Thank you very much for your fast answer!

Following idea was behind my intention:

If I could split the original A/P user interface from the underlying flight mode processing then I could make a generic (highly improved) autoflight processing that could be controlled from all available A/P's (that rely on the MS autoflight processing)! Existing autopilots and announciators would interwork fine with my autoflight processing.

Is there a way at all to prevent the MS A/P from affecting the controls while stwitched on (incl. when fiddling various flightmodes)? Maybe as a future FSUIPC-feature?

Thank you!

Best regard

Martin

Is there a way at all to prevent the MS A/P from affecting the controls while stwitched on (incl. when fiddling various flightmodes)? Maybe as a future FSUIPC-feature?

No, I'm sorry, I don't think that is possible at all -- it is all wrapped into the simulation engine. The only thing that could possibly be done would be to prevent the A/P switches from reaching FS so that it never gets switched on. This could be done for external programs (simply discarding the AP ENG control), but not from keyboard and possibly not from some gauges. I really don't think that would be worthwhile.

Regards,

Pete