The simFlight Network Forums

PFC, FSUIPC and FS9 and Flight1

Hello,

I presently use the Precision Flight Controls Cirrus II console with FS9 and the .DLL file, Version Release Date March 2005 version 3.47 FSUIPC.DLL This is the version recommended by PFC. On my laptop with FS9 and a Joystick I make use of the payware/Reg version of Pete's fine work.

Here is what has happened.

All was well with the set up mentioned above, PFC, FS9 and 3.47 .DLL. The Cirrus II console worked fine and running smooth. Last week I installed a product called Ultimate Traffic from Flight1. Now there are a couple of small issues that can get out of hand real fast. The issues that can get out of hand first. This is that when I click on the PFC tab across the top of the screen to view menu options the RT 1/4 and bottom 1/4 of the menu are as if the are covered by the what should be the back ground when in the menu mode. Best example is that I cannot make a choice in the menu for COM I or II. The reason is the place where you click to place the dot for your choice is covered as mentioned above.

As long as I stay with the present throttle quad choice and do not need to access this and all other menu choices though out the menu pages (note that on all menu pages the RT 1/4 and bottom 1/4 of the screen is covered as what appears to be the background when normally in the menu mode).

This was not the way things were prior to the install of Flight1 Ultimate Traffic. I have found on the web site for Flight1 that there is a warning of issues with Pete’s FSUIPC registered version. (Please note the system being discussed is set up with the hardware mentioned above and the PFC’s recommended FSUIPC version 3.47). Now the warning on Flight1’s web site is for the registered version of FSUIPC, as mentioned on the computer mentioned I use 3.47.

Though out the Flight1 web site they discuss having a back up copy of the FSUIPC .DLL files to reinstall in case one is affected by the download of Ultimate Traffic and or Ultimate Traffic updates. Well I have gone back several times to re-install the 3.47 .DLL files with and without the corresponding PFC drivers in an effort to restore things as they were before the introduction of Flight1’s Ultimate Traffic. The end result is the same with the RT side and bottom ¼ of the menu appearing to be covered by what should be the back ground or appears to be the back ground for the PFC menu that is accessed from the PFC tab across the top of the screen when in the simulator mode.

So flight1 resolves the issue by having the .DLL files placed back in the “modules folder” of FS9. Well as mentioned I have replaced the FSUIPC. The PFC driver file and a combination of the two. The result is the same. So I have tried the Flight1 remedy and no luck. Well one would think to uninstall flkight1 Ultimate Traffic to resolve the issue and hope that Flight1 refunds my cash. Well if I have already replaced the FSUIPC file and the PFC file and a combination of the two together (PFC has a D/L that installs both into the FS9 “modules folder”) then I am unsure if uninstalling Flight1’s Ultimate Traffic will matter. As they stated for the fix I have replaced the .DLL files.

Real world, with the exception of PFC and there support team I am out here in no mans land. Except for PFC you cannot speak to anyone. You right a few letters only to receive a response with questions requiring more typing which if resulted in a solution would be great. But the bottom line is that getting a solution or my cash back from flight1 is a testing process. I have spelled the problem out as to exactly what happened. Sometimes I fill the click and paste questions are a way of dragging things out. I do not mean to sound negative, but I am really worn down with this. If nothing else I owe the readers of this problem a fee for at least letting off some steam. Computers are great, but a phone conversation at this point with the powers that be would be pretty nice right now.

If any one has any ideas to resolve this I am open to, and thankful for any help. Flight1 has a web site at flight1.com, look for the Ultimate Traffic area and the UT updates, PFC has a web site at flypfc.com there you will see the area for drivers and find the D/L for PFC and Pete’s latest .DLL and drivers.

I really appreciate the effort to help.

Thank you,

Mark.

I presently use the Precision Flight Controls Cirrus II console with FS9 and the .DLL file, Version Release Date March 2005 version 3.47 FSUIPC.DLL This is the version recommended by PFC.

There's only one current and supported version, and that is 3.48 at the moment. PFC will just recommend the latest one whenever they get around to updating their website. More important for PFC equipment with FS is the version number of the PFC.DLL.

Last week I installed a product called Ultimate Traffic from Flight1.

Excellent product. I've been using it ever since it first appeared.

... when I click on the PFC tab across the top of the screen to view menu options the RT 1/4 and bottom 1/4 of the menu are as if the are covered by the what should be the back ground when in the menu mode.

Er, sorry, I cannot picture that. what "should be the back ground" in what menu? What's a "menu mode"?

Best example is that I cannot make a choice in the menu for COM I or II. The reason is the place where you click to place the dot for your choice is covered as mentioned above.

Dot? Do you mean mouse pointer? I don't understand, sorry. Why do you have dots?

I have found on the web site for Flight1 that there is a warning of issues with Pete’s FSUIPC registered version.

Er, really? That needs challenging then. There are issues with folks using illegal pirated keys to register FSUIPC, but certainly there are absolutely no issues with any products with correct registration.

Furthermore, you were just referring to PFC menus, which are from PFC.DLL and are absolutely nothing to do with FSUIPC.

Real world, with the exception of PFC and there support team I am out here in no mans land. Except for PFC you cannot speak to anyone. You right a few letters only to receive a response with questions requiring more typing which if resulted in a solution would be great.

You haven't asked me before. Why do you say such wild things? Please calm down.

First of all there is no possible reason the Flight1 stuff should do this that I can think of. They are also wrong in asserting the there are problems using a registered version of FSUIPC. PFC are wrong in recommending an out-of-date unsupported version of FSUIPC -- you should be using version 3.48 which has been current now for over two months.

I cannot picture what your problem looks like, but it may be a result of something changing the common controls DLL for Windows (COMCTL32.DLL). There have been cases where installation of a program also replaces this essential Windows module, and occasionally the one installed does not match the rest of Windows. I didn't think just installing an FS add-on would do it -- it is usually a result of something like a video driver update.

One of the resulting symptoms is that the dialogues pages (produced by one part of Windows) becomes too big for the containing dialogue Window (produced by another part).

Check the FSUIPC options (ALT M F, select FSUIPC). Does that look the same? If so, then this is almost definitely the cause. If not, then in order that I can understand, perhaps you could take a picture (ALT Prt Scr) so I can see what you see.

But first, you also need to tell me the version number of the PFC.DLL you are using -- after all that is what you are complaining about -- and also, please, update to the current supported FSUIPC 3.48.

I do not mean to sound negative, but I am really worn down with this.

Perhaps you should have checked the documentation of PFC.DLL and seen that the Support is here, in the first place? You have not asked here before. Why do you wear yourself out in the wrong places?

PFC has a web site at flypfc.com there you will see the area for drivers and find the D/L for PFC and Pete’s latest .DLL and drivers.

No no no! They are almost always quite a long way out of date. They are usually far too busy to keep up with the changes. Please ALWAYS go to http://www.schiratti.com/dowson for all my software -- it is always the latest there. Also, always refer to the Announcements and Stickies at the top of this Forum from time to time. This site is here to help, and it where you should have come.

If it is the COMCTL32.DLL responsible, and so far that is the most likely from what you say, then you will need to find it and identify its version number and date for me. For that (and this applies to any module), find it using Windows Explorer (Search), then right-click on it and choose Properties-Version.

Note that it will probably be classified as a "hidden system file", so first you may need to go to Explorer's Folder Options and elect to see those.

Another way to check Windows files is to use System File Checker. But first please tell me what version of Windows you are using.

Regards,

Pete

Graet thanks for the feedback let me see if I can do these one at a time.

The menu, I am speaking of when you are in FS9 and if you go to the windows mode you will have menu across the top of your screen. One of the items across the top (in windows mode) is PFC. This is Precision Flight Controls. If I click on this then It will bring up there screen. There screen is the screen where you make choices for the hardware to interact with the software (or so it seems). For example in your documentation that I downloaded from PFC you discussed the "com I" or other com choices that needed to be made when setting up things. Things is a term I am using to reference the set up that includes the PFC Cirrus II, FS9, your download of FSUIPC (what ever version you recommend, I could not tell which one you recommended, if you could clarify that would be great. Please remember that I have re-installed the version I mentioned as per the UT instructions with the same bad results). The best way I can explain is that the area where I chose to select a com choice is no longer visible. Part of that area is, but the area where the box drops down is not.

So, please specify the version of the non- registered FSUIPC (I use your registered in my lap top and unless needed will only need to buy one copy) needed. Then please keep in mind that all through the menu (menu the area where you configure the PFC hardware, for example choosing the default settings for your avionics ECT...) is covered on the bottom 1/4 and the RT 1/4 through out the selection process. Process is my way of explaining the tabs across the top of the menu that allows you to set up your toke buttons, console selections, ect...) in other words you see the different menu pages but cannot see the area where you make your selections.

The bottom line I think is that even when I reinstalled your FSUIPC to put things back the way they where before installed the UT. (UT is my way of stating Ultimate Traffic) This is what the instuctions for this was from the UT people. The sate this warning about your payware version of FSUIPC. The solution as I read was to install the FSUIPC back into the system. So I went to may folder where I D/L your FSUIPC per PFC and I re-installed and stilll have the same issues. I dont see at this point how uninstalling UT would help if I have already re-installed your FSUIPC with no improvemnts, but who knows. I would like to keep UT, Please spell out more questions as I will gladly help as much as I can to give you all the information you need to assist. I appricate your help.

Please note: the documentation I referenced from you was per the link at PFC where the had your guide for setting up the hardware ect...

Also, this is where I am at now in trying to resolve the issues. Later after this is hopfully repaired then I will be glade to get different or new versions of your or others software. Aldo if I must do this now then thats ok too. I just dont see why when it worked prior to UT that it cant work the same if the FSUIPC's are replaced unless I must dump the UT for now.

Thanks agian.

Mark.

The menu, I am speaking of ....

i know the PFC menu entry. I wrote the program, remember?

your download of FSUIPC (what ever version you recommend, I could not tell which one you recommended, if you could clarify that would be great.

There is only ever one version of FSUIPC that is current and supported. It is the only one you can find on http://www.schiratti.com/dowson and the one listed above in the "list of Supported Versions". Currently that is version 3.48.

I did tell you this in my last reply. Please read my replies to you more carefully. You are writting a lot of unnecessary words simply because you don't read everything!

Please remember that I have re-installed the version I mentioned

And I asked you to use 3.48, please reread the reply!

The best way I can explain is that the area where I chose to select a com choice is no longer visible. Part of that area is, but the area where the box drops down is not.

You already explained all that at great length. Please READ MY REPLY! Please see if the FSUIPC menu looks the same, as I asked!

So, please specify the version of the non- registered FSUIPC (I use your registered in my lap top and unless needed will only need to buy one copy) needed.

There is only one version, not a "registered version" and an "unregistered version"!. In any case, you do NOT have to buy more than one copy. You can register the one on your PC with the same data as you registered the one on your laptop!

Please spell out more questions as I will gladly help as much as I can to give you all the information you need to assist. I appricate your help.

All you have done in this message is repeat at great length exactly what you said in your first message. It is not helping. I went through all your points in my last reply, and you seem to have ignored every single thing I said!

Please go back and read the replies. It is absolutely no use this continuing like this, as you are ignoring what I am telling you!

Please note: the documentation I referenced from you was per the link at PFC where the had your guide for setting up the hardware ect...

Go to http://www.schiratti.com/dowson and get the latest versions there. Please do so. Don't come back until you have

(a) downloaded and installed the current versions and

(b) read my first reply again and answered the questions there.

Otherwise there is no point in continuing.

Regards,

Pete

Peter,

I thought you did not understand the problem I have with not being able to see the full menu page (any page be it throttles, yoke ECT...) and most worrisome not being able to click on the area that makes choices. The example I made of choosing the com selection on the first page or so is a good example.

Please let me know if we are on the same page with this.

Also, please tell me if you want me to place the dll into the modules as I want to know if it will overwrite the other. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that it was important to assure there where only one dll file in the modules folder.

I appreciate your help and do not mean to frustrate. I really did not understand where we where in terms of being on the same page. It is obvious I am light years behind you with this stuff. My PC has been stuck now for a week and I am worried to do anything until perfectly clear. I cannot make a choice in the first page when I should be selecting which com to select. I cannot see or click on the section as it is covered as I mentioned. For what ever reason last week when I started FS9 the PFC hardware was on (the lights on the radio stack ECT...) put any input I made on the hardware from PFC would not show on the SIM. I clicked on the PFC tab across the top and there was the fist page wanting me to make a COM selection, and I was unable to do this as it was partially covered up. Thus my PC now sits, as I feel the need to be sure of any more steps I make. I have tried replacing the PFC and your dll (the version I mentioned in the initial e-mail) but it will not go back to the way it was prior to the install of UT. I realize I have frustrated you with these basic needs I have. But here I sit.

I thank you for your time and will sit tight till I am sure of the next step to take. I am really worried about digging a deeper hole for myself at this point.

Thank you

Also please understand that the reason for mentioning a registered version was to express my support of your work, and if a fee is needed I am open to that. It was my way of trying to let you know I realize that this is work for you and I dont take your help for granted.

Thank you.

Mark.

Also Pete,

Sorry but I forgot. You told me you understood the menu issue but stated

"Er, sorry, I cannot picture that. what "should be the back ground" in what menu? What's a "menu mode"? "

Thata why I re-explianed the menu. I realize you wrote it nut the comment had me confussed. Please except my appologiy for re-stating the menu issues.

I was just trying to help.

Mark.

I thought you did not understand the problem I have with not being able to see the full menu page

I don't know if I do or not since you never answer my questions, but simply repeat yourself over and over -- three times now you say exactly the same! No progress at all!

Some of the things you mention (like about the "menu background" and the "dots" selecting things) make no sense at all to me.

If you read my first reply rather more carefully you will see that I did suggest that others have had Windows problems which produce difficulties with tabbed menus before -- the symptom, as I described, being that the tabbed parts (the bits selected by the tabs at the top) are too big for the containing window. I even pointed out which Windows component might be responsible and asked you to check it, as well as check the FSUIPC menu to see if it had the same problem.

You have done none of the things I suggested and supplied no other information at all, only repeated what you said to start with, twice now.

Also, please tell me if you want me to place the dll into the modules as I want to know if it will overwrite the other. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that it was important to assure there where only one dll file in the modules folder.

There are MANY .DLL files in the Modules folder!! That is where most of Flight sim's DLLs go, and it is the ONLY place where PFC.DLL and FSUIPC.DLL should go. You cannot possibly have more than one of any single DLL there as Windows only allows one of each filename! Just never rename any of them!

Please just follow the installation instructions. Place the supplied DLLs in the modules folder. That is all there is to it!!

I thank you for your time and will sit tight till I am sure of the next step to take. I am really worried about digging a deeper hole for myself at this point.

You already have the steps. For the last time, the steps to take are (1) install the latest versions, (2) look at the FSUIPC menu and see if it has the same problem (3) see if my description of the insides of the Menu being too big for the containing window agrees with what you see (4) if so then your Windows installation NOT your FS installation, is corrupt. You have a bad "COMCTL32.DLL" file!

I have said all this before and I am not going to say it again after this! You are not doing any of the things I am telling you, and you amazingly still refuse to do them! I cannot understand you. I really cannot help if you refuse to be helped. Sorry.

Regards,

Pete

Sorry but I forgot. You told me you understood the menu issue but stated

"Er, sorry, I cannot picture that. what "should be the back ground" in what menu? What's a "menu mode"? "

Thata why I re-explianed the menu. I realize you wrote it nut the comment had me confussed.

But you still never answered. You say something "should be the background", and I don't understand what you mean at all -- what "background" -- your screen wallpaper, your desktop, some part of Flight sim? Why should something be some background? You seem to be stating an opinion there in any case, not describing anything at all.

And I still do not know what you mean be "menu mode". this is not a well-defined techincal term. If you meant something by it you should be able to explain what you mean.

However, these things could have been made all totally irrelevant if you'd only read the rest of my reply and answered the questions I asked instead of just repeasteating evberything you said again.

I was just trying to help.

Well, in that case, rather than say the same thing over and over, just take a look at my questions and suggestions and try to answer them please. Otherwise this will go on forever. I am 50% sure I have already identified your problem and suggested it to you, but you don't take any notice!

Regards,

Pete

Just to try to be extra helpful, I've searched for the other reports here of what may be a similar problem to yours (though it is still difficult to tell as you don't answer my questions).

There have been only three in two years, and they all relate to the FSUIPC options, not the PFC ones. However, both programs use the same Windows facilities for these, which is why I asked you repeatedly to look at FSUIPC too, so we can be sure!

Here are links to the other three cases. Please check them. You might find them useful too:

http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?t=36214

http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?t=31998

http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?t=29708

I really don't think I can do much more for you now. It is certainly time for you to do something for yourself. Okay?

Regards,

Pete

Pete;

All is ready in reference to updating the FSUIPC to the 3.48. Please note that I will hold till I am clear on how you want it updated. Also do I do the steps you mentioned in the instructions for 3.48 ie the FSUIPC.INI file stepss. Agian I am real worried I (me) that I will make some stupid errors on my end. I guess its the fact I relaced the PFC and FSUIPC dll's back to the ones from the current PFC (I know these are not current but they where what was there before the UT install) page in an effort to follow the warning from UT in an effort to replace things to there previous state in an effort to restore the sim.

Also where to a gain acess to a copy (the windows file that you mentioned) that works correctly. At least for the time being I can optian these files from my lap top place onto a disc a ne ready to go if and when needed.

I havebbt D/L any thing on the Desk top since the install mess I made in an effort to keep things simple.

Thank you.

Mark

I cant get the comctl32.dll files to copy and paste for you to see.

So I will have to type them here for you,

comctl32.dll C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUni 544KB Appli Ext 8/29/2002

comctl32.dll C:\WINDOWS\system 32 is 597 KB Applic Exte 8/4/2004 comctl32.dll C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 597KB App Ex 8/4/2004

comctl32.dll C:\WINDOWS\Winsxs\x86_Micro 900KB Appli Ext 8/18/2001

comctl32.dll C:\WINDOWS\Winsxs\x86_Micro 900KB Appli Ext 8/29/2002

comctl32.dll C:\WINDOWS\Winsxs\x86_Micro 900KB Appli Ext 4/16/3004

comctl32.dll C:\WINDOWS\Winsxs\x86_Micro 1026KB Appli Ext 8/4/2004

OK there are all of them. Agian I had to type each one so I am worried about errors. The search results would not copy and paste nor can I get alt prt screen to work. I will keep working on the print screen alt to see if I can get a snap shot of the menu.

I hope this helps you in you efforts to remedy my mess. Oh well no simming this weekend but the future can be briter.

Thank you.

Mark.

All is ready in reference to updating the FSUIPC to the 3.48. Please note that I will hold till I am clear on how you want it updated.

Just copy it into the FS modules folder, exactly as I said and exactly how it says in the documentation! There is no other way to "update" it nor install it, and that is all there is to it. I shouldn't have to keep saying the same thing. Please just do it.

I am real worried I (me) that I will make some stupid errors on my end.

As far as FSUIPC and PFC are concerned there is absolutely nothing stupid you can do! Your problems are almost certainly WINDOWS problems, nothing to do with FS or FSUIPC or PFC or Flight1.

However, we will never determine this unless you do something!

... an effort to follow the warning from UT in an effort to replace things to there previous state in an effort to restore the sim.

If you prefer their support then take their advice and ignore me altogether. I can't help you at all if that's how you feel. Otherwise, please just read what I write, answer the questions, follow the steps!

Pete

comctl32.dll C:\WINDOWS\system 32 is 597 KB Applic Exte 8/4/2004

This is the one that matters, and it looks as if it is the same as mine (for Windows XP SP2, correct?).

So, that's one theory blasted.

Did you ever do as I asked, and look at the FSUIPC options (ALT M F) to see if it had the same problem? Please go and do that now.

And then I think the time has come for me to see a picture, as the problem is evidently not the one I thought it was. To do this, please get the problem to happen then hold the ALT key down and press the "Prt Scr" button. This will place a picture in the Clipboard. Close FS and load up the Paint program (one of the installed Microsoft accessories in your Windows) and "paste" the picture to it (there will be a "paste" command in a menu). Save the picture as a Bitmap (BMP) file. ZIP it up and attach it to an email and send it to petedowson@btconnect.com.

By the way, if you had your PFC equipment all working once, why are you needing to set basic things up again, like the COM port? All those details are stored in your PFC.INI file. Did you delete it for some reason?

You can edit these things in the INI file instead of using the options screen if you are really desparate. But it hasn't been that long. You first posted a message on my Forum on Thursday, remember? I replied within 2 hours of thatwith questions that you've only just started to answer (and haven't finished yet!). Your next message wasn't until Sunday (what happened to Friday and Saturday if it was so important?), and that message was merely a repeat of the first one. It is only early Monday morning here (00:45 am) as I write this, so really all of this stuff has been done in one day -- yet you keep moaning about not flying?

Please tell me what happened to your PFC.INI file, from the time when you say "it all worked".

Regards,

Pete

Pete.

I installed the new FSUIPC dll and there was no difference.

I Did the exersice with the (alt m f) and yes this menu is also cut off on the rt 1/4 and bottom 1/4. In fact in the second box down on the rt side of the menu I could barley make out the letter P which appeared to be the start of the second word.

You asked "By the way, if you had your PFC equipment all working once, why are you needing to set basic things up again, like the COM port? All those details are stored in your PFC.INI file. Did you delete it for some reason? "

The reason is that when I switch from say a B200 to a Beaver, I switch thottle quads to match up to the plane. Right or wrong perodically the com will reset asking me to choose from the drop down menu. Agian right or wrong it has reset periodically. I could just never change thottle quads (my attempt at a laugh).

I am on the lap top now but willl go back to desk top and attemy to get you a photo.

I know squat about all this but wanted to know if I sent you my modules folder, and also if I was to replace the

comctl32.dll C:\WINDOWS\system 32 is 597 KB Applic Exte 8/4/2004

in case it was damaged in the cutting and pasting from trying to restore the system to the time before the install of UT. Just a thought as it would be logical that areas I have been are vernable to mistakes and I was in these areas. You know best.

You asked

"You can edit these things in the INI file instead of using the options screen if you are really desparate. But it hasn't been that long. You first posted a message on my Forum on Thursday, remember? I replied within 2 hours of thatwith questions that you've only just started to answer (and haven't finished yet!). Your next message wasn't until Sunday (what happened to Friday and Saturday if it was so important?), and that message was merely a repeat of the first one. It is only early Monday morning here (00:45 am) as I write this, so really all of this stuff has been done in one day -- yet you keep moaning about not flying?

I have other thingd that require time from my weekends. I wished I could sim all day. I am not moaning just wished I could have seen thew a crystal ball. You time is valuable and I appreciate it very much. My comment of things will be brighter is a common saying where I live. Folk talk I guess, ha ha.

you asked

Please tell me what happened to your PFC.INI file, from the time when you say "it all worked".

Ok, Just some ideas. Trying to be of some help. The PFC INI is in there. I tried to stear clear as it looked if it remembers settings and since I cannot get to them to select settings well I stayed away.

I will try your picture now so I hope to e-mail you soon.

Also if remote access, Team speak or anything would help in saving your time please let me know and I will do what ever we need to do to move forward.

Thanks man.

Mark.

Hey Pete I am just wantinga confirmation you recived the pic and the last verbage I sent was making sence.

When ever you get time. Agian I appreciate the help. Now that I think I can send pics would you like one of my last secretary, blonde and.....kidding of ccurse.

Talk with you soon. Agian thanks.

I Did the exersice with the (alt m f) and yes this menu is also cut off on the rt 1/4 and bottom 1/4. In fact in the second box down on the rt side of the menu I could barley make out the letter P which appeared to be the start of the second word.

Yes, so it does indeed sound like a Windows problem. More in a moment.

The reason is that when I switch from say a B200 to a Beaver, I switch thottle quads to match up to the plane.

Fine. The PFC.DLL is designed to deal with this smoothly and automatically, either be automatic detection of the aircraft type, or by you "registering" each of your aircraft with a specific quadrant. The latter method is more sure, but either should work provided you've enabled each quadrant you own.

Right or wrong perodically the com will reset asking me to choose from the drop down menu. Agian right or wrong it has reset periodically. I could just never change thottle quads (my attempt at a laugh).

That's crazy! Once the correct COM port is set in the PFC.INI file it is NEVER changed again unless you explicitly set it. Even if you unplug the device, the driver will still sit there trying to activate it, forever if need be.

The only time it will EVER have to reset the COM deive is when Windows itself says that the device no longer exists!

Are you using a real COM port, or a USB port with a driver in Windows making it look like a COM port? If the latter, then it sounds like something is wrong with it. You need to get that fixed. Report this problem to PFC and see if they will send you a better USB serial driver.

Honestly, there is absolutely no way PFC.DLL will "lose" you serial port setting unless there's a serious Windows/driver problem like that!

Ok, Just some ideas. Trying to be of some help. The PFC INI is in there.

Send me that in the Zip when you send a picture.

One think, can you please check your Windows fonts size setting. This shouldn't affect the problem at all (larger fonts make all the windows larger, not just some of them), but just in case it may be a good idea to make surte Windows is using the standard font size. To do this:

1. Right-click on the desktop (not on any program)

2. Select "Properties".

3. Select "Appearance"

4. Make sure the "Font size" setting is "Normal". Otherwise change it to "Normal".

One other thing you can try. Since it looks as if you have the correct COMCTL32.DLL, possibly something has changed another part of the libraries used. I attach the DLL which I use. Re-boot Windows and before any program is started, place this into your Windows\System32 folder.

Regards,

Pete

MSVCRTDLL.zip

Hello Pete:

You mentioned

“Fine. The PFC.DLL is designed to deal with this smoothly and automatically, either be automatic detection of the aircraft type, or by you "registering" each of your aircraft with a specific quadrant. The latter method is surer, but either should work provided you've enabled each quadrant you own.”

Yes most of the time it dose, however every so often it will act as if it is unsure which quad is being attached. I know we tell it but with the menu blocked that is a problem. This is mainly between the old style Baron and the New style Baron quads. Oh well.

I am looking forward to the feature you described here.

That's crazy! Once the correct COM port is set in the PFC.INI file it is NEVER changed again unless you explicitly set it. Even if you unplug the device, the driver will still sit there trying to activate it, forever if need be.

I use a Cirrus II system and it all connects with serial or pins what ever the proper terminology is. I don’t have your manual handy but I thought I read there or maybe from Eric at PFC that the serial connections are the most stable. Oh yea I forgot above to mention that most of the aircraft I sim in I set up per your manual and indeed almost always they adapt as set up, adapt relating to the proper assignments in the menu being in place. I think the resets are when its say another piston twin that’s not assigned and I would click Baron quad in the drop down to speed along. You are right if assigned I should never need to see the menu, but to assign the planes I need the menu.

I open a lot of zips but don’t create them. My secretary dose that, and she would cause me harm if I asked her to send FS9 files. I could however send another e-mail to you an attach the PFC INI, please let me know.

Are the instructions for the windows 32 file you kindly attached as follows: Re-boot and once on desk top before I run and program from there place the file you attached into the windows system 32 folders? Will I need to overwrite or choose no if the message appears when doing this?

Also please keep in mind if you want to connect over the web, Teamspeak, remote assistance or what everwould benifit your time the most just let me know.

Do you think this can be put back the way it was?

I almost feel that I had spent some time in the modules folder that a file next to one I was working with could have been deleted or somthing like that. I dont remember this happening put it is like in Plane accidents 90% of Plane accidents are Pilot error, or so says the workshop leader I heard recently.

OK I just e-mailed you (same address as last PM) the PFC INI.

Agian I appreciate your time and effort.

Mark.

however every so often it will act as if it is unsure which quad is being attached.

with some aircraft it cannot tell automatically. that's why you can tell it to "always use this quadrant with this aircraft" in the quadrant pages. Load the aircraft, select the quadrant page and check that option.

This is mainly between the old style Baron and the New style Baron quads.

It prompts with a pair of pictures for that. it cannot decide for you unless you pre-select as above.

I use a Cirrus II system and it all connects with serial or pins what ever the proper terminology is. I don’t have your manual handy but I thought I read there or maybe from Eric at PFC that the serial connections are the most stable.

Yes, and once the COM port is written in the PFC.INI file it will never be changed unless you ask it to be changed. This is the point -- how are you managing to loase your PFC.INI settings? Maybe you have set the INI file as 2read only". that is a real no-no. Please check. Right-click the file and select Properties. Look at the bottom.

Are the instructions for the windows 32 file you kindly attached as follows: Re-boot and once on desk top before I run and program from there place the file you attached into the windows system 32 folders? Will I need to overwrite or choose no if the message appears when doing this?

Yes, and yes overwrite.

Also please keep in mind if you want to connect over the web, Teamspeak, remote assistance or what everwould benifit your time the most just let me know.

No idea how to do any of that, sorry. And I am not so good thinking and talking at the same time. I need to think then write.

Do you think this can be put back the way it was?

It sounds like it was NEVER right the way it was in any case -- the COM port problem especially.

Regards,

Pete

I just re-sent the pic and the INI. I hope these find you. Please advise.

Okay. Got them.

The INI file contains the COM port already, as expected. See:

[Connection]

Debug=512

Port=COM1

Are you saying it ISN'T COM1? If it isn't, change it in the file.

The picture is EXACTLY what I expected if the COMCTL32.DLL is incorrect. Now that is very strange considering that the version you are using is the same as mine. I assume you are using Windows XP SP2? If not, what, please?

Did you check the font size as I suggested?

I am puzzled that the problem appears to be as if it is using the wrong COMCTL32.DLL. I am wondering if it is picking up one from elsewhere. Did your list account for all possible copies throughout your system? Could there possibly be one in the FS folder?

On my most recently installed system, using WinXP SP2, FS2004 9.1 update, and Flight 1 Ultimate traffic installed, I can only find 4 copies of COMCTL32.DLL. The one which I think is being used, in the System32 folder, is the same as the one you have there. But I also notice two others with the same date but different sizes in the "WinSxS" folders -- I suspect the dates are misleading, therefore.

Can you check the VERSION number of the one in the System32 folder, please. Right click on it, select Properties, Version. Mine says:

"5.82.2900.2180".

I also have one with a much later date (11 Mar 2005) which is bigger (904 KB) and has version number:

"6.0.2800.1643".

The ones in my WinSxS folders (deep down in subfolders) are:

"6.9.2600.0" (size 900 KB), and

"6.0.2900.2180" (size 1026 KB).

These version numbers are rather confusing. i would have thought version 6.xxxx would be later than version 5.xxxx but the fact that the lastand biggest file has the same last 8 digits is disconcerting.

I am going to try each of these in turn to see if I can reproduce the symptoms. Meanwhile, could you check your version numbers please?

Later ...

Regards,

Pete

I said:

Can you check the VERSION number of the one in the System32 folder, please. Right click on it, select Properties, Version. Mine says:

"5.82.2900.2180".

I also have one with a much later date (11 Mar 2005) which is bigger (904 KB) and has version number:

"6.0.2800.1643".

The ones in my WinSxS folders (deep down in subfolders) are:

"6.9.2600.0" (size 900 KB), and

"6.0.2900.2180" (size 1026 KB).

These version numbers are rather confusing. i would have thought version 6.xxxx would be later than version 5.xxxx but the fact that the lastand biggest file has the same last 8 digits is disconcerting.

I am going to try each of these in turn to see if I can reproduce the symptoms. Meanwhile, could you check your version numbers please?

Well, it was difficult to try them all. In Windows 98 very few system programs used COMCTL32, and so after an initial boot, before running anything clever, it was easy enough to change such a DLL in the System folder.

In WinXP it seems almost everything uses it, so it is not possible to change it in Windows. It becomes a complex re-booting exercise which I've not figured out yet.

So, in order to test the versions of COMCTL32.DLL I have here I have altered PFC.DLL so that it first looks for this library in the FS folder itself. If it finds one there it uses that -- otherwise it allows Windows to decide which to use (normally this will be the one in the System32 folder).

I attach this later version of PFC.DLL (1.94) -- you will see there are quite a few changes in it which haven't been formally released yet. Just copy it into your FS Modules folder.

Then you can try each of the COMCTL32.DLLs you can find, simply by copying them into your FS folder (the main one, NOT the Modules folder) one at a time, loading FS each time and looking at the PFC menu.

But first, let me see the version numbers of each COMCTL32 you have, please.

Regards,

Pete

PFCDLL1940.zip

Heelo,

1st I will be glad to check the folder your asking about. Please tell me whee the System 32 folder is located and the path to the folder you want the version number of please. I am unclear here.

YOu mentioned It sounds like it was NEVER right the way it was in any case -- the COM port problem especially.

Well the menu worked where I could select the quads that did not stay in the settings. I do however look forward to getting all the planes to slave to a quad once this is reconfigured.

I will go ahead with the file you sent and place it in modules after a Back up of the one there now.

Also in reguard to the COMCTL32 folders I will need to know where to access them from. The info I suplied yesterday on them was from the search resullts and I was not able to follow them from the search results to there folder.

OK Please tell me where the sys 32 is and the path to the folder you want the version of and I will get it to you please.