The simFlight Network Forums

PFC, FSUIPC and FS9 and Flight1

1st I will be glad to check the folder your asking about. Please tell me whee the System 32 folder is located and the path to the folder you want the version number of please. I am unclear here.

surely you cannot be unclear! You already did a search and found several instances of COMCTL32.DLL. All you need to do is run the search again, and this time right-click in the filenames and read the Version data.

Also in reguard to the COMCTL32 folders I will need to know where to access them from. The info I suplied yesterday on them was from the search resullts and I was not able to follow them from the search results to there folder.

The search results include the folder details, but it doesn't matter in any case. The search results are in an Explorer window. You don't need to go anywhere else. Just right-click on each one and read the version details, please!

Pete

Pete the one I just sent to you was the 3rd one down from the top. Agian from the list I typed out last PM. The 3rd one down is the only one that clearly says system32 or at least says it far enough up the file path where it is visable.

Read the version numbers of all of them please.

Pete

Pete here is the file name , location, date created and date modified along with the version# of all results from todays search of COMCTL32.DLL

What comctl32.dll

Location :\Documents and Settings\Mark\Desktop\FSUIPC\pt scr\search results

Created Yesterday, July 03, 2005, 5:36:17 PM

Modified Thursday, August 29, 2002, 6:40:50 AM Please look at the create and

Version 5.82.2800.1106 Modify dates here?

comctl32.dll

C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$

Wednesday, September 29, 2004, 11:34:54 PM

Thursday, August 29, 2002, 6:40:50 AM

comctl32.dll

C:\WINDOWS\system32

Saturday, August 18, 2001, 8:00:00 AM

Wednesday, August 04, 2004, 3:56:41 AM

comctl32.dll

C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386

Saturday, January 31, 2004, 10:20:50 PM

Wednesday, August 04, 2004, 3:56:41 AM

comctl32.dll

C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Windows.Common-

Thursday, December 25, 2003, 3:34:42 AM

Saturday, August 18, 2001, 8:00:00 AM

comctl32.dll

Saturday, January 31, 2004, 10:34:29 PM

Thursday, August 29, 2002, 5:41:32 AM

comctl32.dll

Friday, April 16, 2004, 6:56:04 PM

Friday, April 16, 2004, 6:56:04 PM

comctl32.dll

C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Windows.C

Wednesday, August 04, 2004, 3:57:00 AM

Wednesday, August 04, 2004, 3:57:00 AM

They are in the order the search engine reported them.

I hope this helps you out.

Mark.

I have the new PFC DLL you made and the Back up both in folders off to the side. I am unsure since you have the info on the sys32 versions I sent you what to do . I will leave the old version PFC DLL in the modules folder of fs9 till you tell for sure what the next step is.

It sounds like we are past the step off testing each as I sent you the data on each of the files. Anyhow, better to be carfull here and not mess up agian,

Thanks.

Mark.

I hope this helps you out.

It's you that we are trying to help. I cannot make the problem happen and have never seen it except in the three reports I referred you to (over the last two years), and now your own.

Unfortunately, if you refer to the other three reports, all I did was suggest COMCTL32.DLL and the sufferers never came back. So I assumed they'd all fixed it. But none actually told us how!

In your case, all those versions of COMCTL32.DLL I also have here, and I've tried them all and have not produced the problem. So unless one of them has actually been changed or corrupted without the version number being affected, we've got no further.

However, there are still some questions:

First, you never told me if you checked your desktop font size and made sure it was set to "normal". Did you do that and forget to tell me?

Second, I've been told that Windows "themes" can affect this sort of thing. Can you check, and revert to default Windows settings, no themes, if possible?

Third, there are some third party programs, like "Window Blinds", that can mess around with Windows settings, though I've never heard of this being a symptom. See what add-ons you have which may mess with things.

Fourth, I am emailing you a COMCTL32.DLL, zipped,. This should be IDENTICAL to one you already have, but it is worth trying as nearly the last resort. If you have already installed the PFC 1.94 I attached earlier, just copy the emailed COMCTL32.DLL into the main FS folder (not the Modules folder) -- that PFC.DLL will pick it up there.

Fifth, see if you can roll back to a Windows restore point before this thing started happening. This is by Start-Programs-Accessories-System Tools-System Restore.

If you have no suitable restore point saved (unlikely I hope), or even that doesn't do the job, and you've checked all the other things I've just mentioned to no avail, then I can only suggest two steps: re-install Windows, then FS.

If I can find any other suggestions in the mean time I will get back to you. Something is corrupt somewhere -- if it isn't in these modules, then it is in Windows settings somehow and re-installation is the only way out that I know of if all else has failed. I know it seems drastic, but you'd be surprised at how many folks religiously re-install every few months as a good way of keeping their system clean and efficient.

Regards,

Pete

I have the new PFC DLL you made and the Back up both in folders off to the side. I am unsure since you have the info on the sys32 versions I sent you what to do . I will leave the old version PFC DLL in the modules folder of fs9 till you tell for sure what the next step is.

Groan! :-(

Each time I send you something it is for you to try! I shouldn't have to send you something and then have you wait until I tell you six times to use it! What's the point of that? We will get nowhere.

Please install it. See my other messages. This is going to take months longer unless you actually do something now and then.

Pete

Thanks Pete.

I am cuatious if I am unsure if I am following your directions correctly. SO I owe you an appology and at the same time want to followyour instruction from a to z.

OK then,

I am current with all that I can see and unzipped your last file into FS9 Main folder and of course your PFC DLL into the modules.

The new program looks intresting. It told me on start up that the last two items where not conected or somthing about the last two items. All else checked ok.

However the bottom 1/4 and rt 1/4 of the menu is like it was last pm. Of course the items in the menu relect your work but still the menu on the bottom and rt is the same as last pm.

I will syand by and appreciate you help. I will try to ck here every 30 mins or so for a while this PM. Some guest over but yhis is rally important so they will have to be flexable as I appreciate your time.

Thanks agian

Marl.

It told me on start up that the last two items where not conected or somthing about the last two items. All else checked ok.

The last two only apply to Project Magenta users (which form quite a big part of PFC users) -- one is for the Project Magenta MCP and the other for the CDU/FMS.

You can suppress that check screen by a checkbox on the first Option screen. It will only then appear again if the COM port isn't set or isn't available (e.g. it is used by something else, or its driver has failed).

I will syand by and appreciate you help.

You have everything I can possibly offer now, in the previous messages. You still haven't even bothered to check the font size as I asked a long time ago, and there are other suggestions listed in order in my previous messages. Please go and follow those. The final thing, if nothing else works, is Windows and FS re-installation. But try the lesser things first!

There's really nothing else I can suggest after those, but why you aren't even bothering to do the simple checks I suggest I cannot understand. It seems as if you completely ignore most of what I write. I am not going to keep repeating it all. Please go back and read them and do them.

Regards,

Pete

Hello,

I hope you are well. I am in Medical implant sales and travel a couple nights par week and as such am away from the PC that has all the goodies on it. It is Thursday early PM and I may be home tonight in time to work further.

I can assure you every step you have asked has been taken on my end. I appreciate your offering all of the steps ECT... The reason I do not comment on every single step is because if they are relatively simple I do them and if improvements where to happen I would report the news. I don’t need to go back and grab quotes, as I am sure you recall you telling me to do the steps and stop being so hesitant. So I tried to move it along for you. I have felt you are rather put off with me as to the time it takes me to get steps accomplished. Through out the discussion I have tried to communicate my fear of getting in over my head with changes and never being able to resolve this issue or even to get the system back to the way it was prior to the install when the menu started appearing covered on the lower bottom and rt sides. I feel no matter what I do here its causing you to be put off with me.

With that said I have made every attempt to let you know I respect your bust schedule and most appreciate your extreme effort to help with this matter. I do really appreciate your effort to help me with the errors I have experienced from post install of the program mentioned at the beginning. I do not know what has happened here. All I know is prior to the install of the said program the PFC menu worked and wad visible all the way across and up and down. After the install of said program it is not. It may have not been fully programmed from my end, but it worked.

I like you wished it was resolved. You mentioned if it came down to it I could change settings in a particular file, well that’s something that will be a problem for me as I as stated I am not the most savvy PC person in the world/

You asked the other day where I had been because you thought from my comments I wanted it fixed ASAP, well of course I do. However I have a family and other obligations in the case this week while being on the road with work. I have other obligations that take priority, and with that provide the means and time to spend on this hobby.

You mentioned Project Magenta and I appreciate you bring it up. Someday I do appreciate you bringing it up. I hope someday to explore that.

For now I am feeling like one man in the ocean with a small life raft with the problem from post install (the reason for saying post install is to reference for time line purposes).

As you know I cannot re-install the dll from before the install and return the system to its prior state. I have no idea I mention the DLL's because that’s what I thought I remembered the warning saying from Flight 1. I am referencing the DLL warning they posted in reference to your registered version of your software. I hope that you were able to get with them. After you mentioned you were a little surprised that was on there site, the warning that is. The word surprised may not be what you said but for some reason I just remember that part of it seemed to be news.

Anyhow, I am sitting in the Hospital food court area and need to run.

As I mentioned it is not my intent to frustrate you in any way, All the steps have been followed all be it not as fast as you would like. That is my fault. I will do my best to learn things I don’t understand as fast as possible. I offered to purchased another copy of your registered program for my home PC as a jester of thanks for your help/ As I mentioned I have a registered copy on my lap top that’s with me now. I realize I don’t need the registered version on the home PC but out of respect and appreciation will still more than happily do. Out of your kindness you indicated not to worry about, but I am happy to do so. Maybe we can clear the way after the issues here are hopefully fixed as I would not want any override to hurt your efforts up to this point.

I am worried here that you may be out of ways to attempt to get the PFC menu back in tact. I hope something good happens for it to be restored.

I appreciate you effort and drive to assist me. I will try to be as much help as possible in accomplishing your instructions as quick as I can.

I hope to hear back from you. I guess if all fails us we can put things back the way they were before the Traffic install. I was unable to do so but maybe there’s a way. But again perhaps this will fixed. Again thanks.

Sincerely

Mark.

As you know I cannot re-install the dll from before the install and return the system to its prior state.

I think we have proved beyond all doubt that it is nothing to do with any DLLs being incorrect versions.

I have no idea I mention the DLL's because that’s what I thought I remembered the warning saying from Flight 1.

I have no idea what inaccurate advice Flight1 might be providing. I really don't have time to go looking at all these sites. Enough to say that whatever they said is wrong according to your interpretation. I said this right at the start and I don't like it that you keep repeating it as if they are right and I am wrong. Take it from me, there is absolutely no reason that a registered version of FSUIPC would be worse than an unregistered UNLESS you are using illegal pirated access Keys!

As I mentioned it is not my intent to frustrate you in any way, All the steps have been followed all be it not as fast as you would like.

I don't care at all how long you take. But if you keep coming back with more questions WITHOUT answering my own previous ones, I cannot handle that. If you are doing things and getting results and not telling me, then you are on your own and should not expect me to keep helping. You have to be fair. I am trying very hard, and you are not answering. You ignore more than half of what I say, or if you are not ignoring it you answer exactly as if you are.

You say you have done ALL the steps. So, you have re-installed Windows and a fresh copy of FS and you still get the same problem? Is that what you are saying? If not, what exactly ARE you saying?

I offered to purchased another copy of your registered program for my home PC as a jester of thanks for your help

You do not need to do that. I do not need you to do that. Both of your copies should be registered in any case if you paid. Just use the same details for both!

I am worried here that you may be out of ways to attempt to get the PFC menu back in tact. I hope something good happens for it to be restored.

There are no other ways, for if you have not identified the culprit program then it is a Windows corruption problem. A reinstallation of everything looks to be the only answer as you say you have followed all the other steps and advice I gave you. You cannot expect any more.

It is NOT specifically anything to do with PFC. You already saw that the exact same effect applied to FSUIPC's menu. both of those programs use standard Windows functions for their menus. There is nothing clever or special about them.

I really do not want to hear from you again unless it is to report on the results of things I advised you to try. There is no point unless you do try these things and report on them. You say you do them and don't tell me, but can't you see that is frustrating for me and a total waste of time? Please go back and review all the advice I've given.

I am completely exhausted.

Pete

Agian thanks.

I know I mentioned teamspeak and or remote access, and you indicated you where nor familure with them, pehaps that could help.

I mentioned the steps were all adressed, and the only difference is of course your new DLL files. l nice. I will go back through every stepand apply them agian. If no changes well we are back to here.

I am still courious as to why the warning as it has appeared at Flight1 in respect to there traffic program and your registred version of your program. I am almost tempted to purchase anothr traffic program and install on my laptop as to see if it affects FS9 on my Laptop where your program is registared. There are no PFC files loaded, so it might be intresting to see.

Oh well, I tell you what, I appreciate your time and help. I realize I am light years behind you in computer skills. I wished we could have gotten every thing to work. I guess I will be ok till I want to adjust and settings or say load up a four prop plane and creat a specific assinment for it. I will not look forwrd to that.

As I mentioned I have appplied all the steps as you instructed and am

glade to go back and re-work them agian this weekend. If no changes as in the first time around I want bother you agian.

I appreciate your help.

Kind regards.

Mark.

I mentioned the steps were all adressed

So, you are using normal fonts in Windows? And you have no other programs installed which may affect Windows? And you even tried to Restore Windows to a time earlier when things were okay? And then you completely re-installed Windows and FS -- and after all of these things it is still the same?

Please confirm. After all, these are amongst the steps I suggested and which you have never answered, yet you say you have done them all!

I am still courious as to why the warning as it has appeared at Flight1 in respect to there traffic program and your registred version of your program.

I have absolutely no idea, you must take it up with them -- they are wrong, and in any case it is completely unrelated to your problem. I won't say that again, you ignore me in any case.

I will not be able to reply again now until Monday as I am away all weekend at the Blackpool conference (see http://www.ifcblackpool.com).

Regards,

Pete