The simFlight Network Forums

FS WideScreen and Squawkbox

Guest qnh

Hi,

I have successfully setup FS Widescreen and am using FSMeteo and FS Flight Tracker on another computer. Next I wanted to try Squawkbox. I can start FSScrollChat, SBHost and Squawkbox. When I try to connect to a VATSIM server I get and illegal operation message.

My main computer is an AMD XP1900 with 512 MB RAM running Windows XP Professional, the client is a PIII 1GHz with 768 MB of RAM running Windows 98 SE. I am running TCP/IP.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

--qnh

I have successfully setup FS Widescreen and am using FSMeteo and FS Flight Tracker on another computer. Next I wanted to try Squawkbox. I can start FSScrollChat, SBHost and Squawkbox. When I try to connect to a VATSIM server I get and illegal operation message.

Sorry, I really know nothing about Squawkbox or VATSIM. Possibly SB is assuming it is talking to FS2000 or even FS98? The Multiplayer protocol changed between some FS versions.

If no one else here can help I would suggest you might get better help with the Squawkbox folks. Do they have a forum or support site?

Regards.

Pete

Sorry, I really know nothing about Squawkbox or VATSIM. Possibly SB is assuming it is talking to FS2000 or even FS98? The Multiplayer protocol changed between some FS versions.

If no one else here can help I would suggest you might get better help with the Squawkbox folks. Do they have a forum or support site?

Regards.

Pete

Guest Bob Scott

Squawkbox is incompatible with one of the versions of DirectX (8.1 I think). There are numerous postings on the Procontroller/Squawkbox forum (in the avsim forums section).

Bob Scott

ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

Guest Bob Scott

Squawkbox is incompatible with one of the versions of DirectX (8.1 I think). There are numerous postings on the Procontroller/Squawkbox forum (in the avsim forums section).

Bob Scott

ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

Hi,

--qnh

WideFs host itself SB, you don't need SbHost, maybe that is your problem

Regards

Hi,

--qnh

WideFs host itself SB, you don't need SbHost, maybe that is your problem

Regards

Hi,

My main computer is an AMD XP1900 with 512 MB RAM running Windows XP Professional, the client is a PIII 1GHz with 768 MB of RAM running Windows 98 SE. I am running TCP/IP.

--qnh

As mentioned, you don't need SBHost.

A quick search of the SB support forum

http://forums.avsim.com/dcboard.php?az=&forum=140

http://forums.avsim.com/dcboard.php?az==655&page=

States "Delete b5 re-install SB - if I remember correctly point it to FS2K2 but when prompted say it is FS2K. It should then install 2.3b4 "

I use 2 PCs to fly Vatsim without a problem but use the earlier version of SB (build 4) and Win98SE not XP.

In the hope that this will help I will do my best to explain how I have my set-up.

Install SB on the client PC (the one with Internet connection, where you have FSMeteo), not on the server PC.

Make sure it installs build 4 and not build 5, although I have heard that build 5 *does* work.

You then need to enter a line into the Windows\squawkbox.ini immediately after the {SB} heading; 'WIDESERVER=3'

You also need to rename the 'Aircraft.csl' file in FS\aircraft\ to 'Aircraft.cfg'

When you start SB and it asks for an IP address to search it seems there are 3 possible entries.

1) Leave it blank, and it should find your MP session (works on my set-up)

2) Enter the IP address of the PC running FS (probably 192.168.x.x)

3) A 'loop back' IP address 127.0.0.1

When SB runs you should see 'WideFS FS2K override active' in red text in the SB window.

I assume you have WideFS set up for TCP/IP, as shown in Pete's documents, otherwise I suspect Meteo and Flight Tracker would not work.

Hope this helps.

If not try a post on the SB support forum and give as much detail as you can on the actual error msg.

Rgds

Hi,

--qnh

As mentioned, you don't need SBHost.

A quick search of the SB support forum

http://forums.avsim.com/dcboard.php?az=&forum=140

http://forums.avsim.com/dcboard.php?az==655&page=

States "Delete b5 re-install SB - if I remember correctly point it to FS2K2 but when prompted say it is FS2K. It should then install 2.3b4 "

I use 2 PCs to fly Vatsim without a problem but use the earlier version of SB (build 4) and Win98SE not XP.

In the hope that this will help I will do my best to explain how I have my set-up.

Install SB on the client PC (the one with Internet connection, where you have FSMeteo), not on the server PC.

Make sure it installs build 4 and not build 5, although I have heard that build 5 *does* work.

You then need to enter a line into the Windows\squawkbox.ini immediately after the {SB} heading; 'WIDESERVER=3'

You also need to rename the 'Aircraft.csl' file in FS\aircraft\ to 'Aircraft.cfg'

When you start SB and it asks for an IP address to search it seems there are 3 possible entries.

1) Leave it blank, and it should find your MP session (works on my set-up)

2) Enter the IP address of the PC running FS (probably 192.168.x.x)

3) A 'loop back' IP address 127.0.0.1

When SB runs you should see 'WideFS FS2K override active' in red text in the SB window.

I assume you have WideFS set up for TCP/IP, as shown in Pete's documents, otherwise I suspect Meteo and Flight Tracker would not work.

Hope this helps.

If not try a post on the SB support forum and give as much detail as you can on the actual error msg.

Rgds