The simFlight Network Forums

Need help setting up Flaps for real throttle quad

I have the pot hooked up but here in lies the problem, FSUIPC is looking for a change in value of 2047 between settings. Well the real flap control lever detents between flaps 1 and 2 and 15 and 25 are very close together giving me only 1300 change of value. this causes everything to get out of sync. Is there a better/ different way to do this other than epic? Can I change valuse somewhere to help this issue? It has been calibrated in the "Flaps" tab of FSUIPC

Thanks,

Rob

I have the pot hooked up but here in lies the problem, FSUIPC is looking for a change in value of 2047 between settings. Well the real flap control lever detents between flaps 1 and 2 and 15 and 25 are very close together giving me only 1300 change of value. this causes everything to get out of sync. Is there a better/ different way to do this other than epic? Can I change valuse somewhere to help this issue? It has been calibrated in the "Flaps" tab of FSUIPC

Thanks,

Rob

Thanks,

Rob

FSUIPC isn't looking for anything. It doesn't care at all. It is Flight Simulator you are sending the values to. FSUIPC is really just a passive interface.

The current FSUIPC flaps facility is, of course, intented to be used the other way round. You calibrate the lever to suit FS, not FS to suit the lever!

Odd to use a pot for fixed number of detentes. Surely fixed resistors and a multiposition switch would be better? You choose the resistor values to get the desired result -- probably equal values despite the differing values of the flap angles.

Otherwise if it is working evenly but with too low a change, either the pot value is wrong (have you tried different values?) or you need to calibrate it differently -- include only the active section, for instance, leaving bigger null zones, so spreading the range and increasing the difference.

I still think more precision is possible with separate fixed resistors or maybe trimpots.

Otherwise, you can do something similar to EPIC, write a little program to read the axes, convert inputs according to a table, then write them directly through FSUIPC.

If you still need something done next year, when I may have "conquered" FS9 , ask me again and I'll look at adding a look up conversion table facility (only via the INI file).

Pete

Thanks,

Rob

FSUIPC isn't looking for anything. It doesn't care at all. It is Flight Simulator you are sending the values to. FSUIPC is really just a passive interface.

The current FSUIPC flaps facility is, of course, intented to be used the other way round. You calibrate the lever to suit FS, not FS to suit the lever!

Odd to use a pot for fixed number of detentes. Surely fixed resistors and a multiposition switch would be better? You choose the resistor values to get the desired result -- probably equal values despite the differing values of the flap angles.

Otherwise if it is working evenly but with too low a change, either the pot value is wrong (have you tried different values?) or you need to calibrate it differently -- include only the active section, for instance, leaving bigger null zones, so spreading the range and increasing the difference.

I still think more precision is possible with separate fixed resistors or maybe trimpots.

Otherwise, you can do something similar to EPIC, write a little program to read the axes, convert inputs according to a table, then write them directly through FSUIPC.

If you still need something done next year, when I may have "conquered" FS9 , ask me again and I'll look at adding a look up conversion table facility (only via the INI file).

Pete

Thanks for the ideas, i'll try it again. I have tried 2 different pots with a totally different amount of range but I guess the only true fix is a 9 position rotary switch and assign a value that way. The pot set-up is very close to working, i think a set of gears instead of a direct connection via a cable would work better? We'll see. thanks again,

Rob

Thanks for the ideas, i'll try it again. I have tried 2 different pots with a totally different amount of range but I guess the only true fix is a 9 position rotary switch and assign a value that way. The pot set-up is very close to working, i think a set of gears instead of a direct connection via a cable would work better? We'll see. thanks again,

Rob

Well i tried a few more adj. I can get every position but Flaps 15? I see at least a number change of 3K when going from flaps 10 to 15 but FSUIPC doesn't chande the output. Every other position it adds or subtracts 2047 as it should. I'm prpbably missing something here? :) Maybe some rest would help?

Thanks,

Rob

Well i tried a few more adj. I can get every position but Flaps 15? I see at least a number change of 3K when going from flaps 10 to 15 but FSUIPC doesn't chande the output. Every other position it adds or subtracts 2047 as it should. I'm prpbably missing something here? :) Maybe some rest would help?

Thanks,

Rob

Guest 737SimGuy

Have you calibrated this axis in Windows Gaming Options first? That should give you full range no matter what your physical pot puts out.

James

Guest 737SimGuy

Have you calibrated this axis in Windows Gaming Options first? That should give you full range no matter what your physical pot puts out.

James

Thanks James, I never did that so i'll try it. I also found I can assign values thru FSBUS. How did you hook the reverse thrust up? What struts did you use on Matt Ford's controls to simulate a load? Thanks,

Rob

Thanks James, I never did that so i'll try it. I also found I can assign values thru FSBUS. How did you hook the reverse thrust up? What struts did you use on Matt Ford's controls to simulate a load? Thanks,

Rob

I can get every position but Flaps 15? I see at least a number change of 3K when going from flaps 10 to 15 but FSUIPC doesn't chande the output. Every other position it adds or subtracts 2047 as it should. I'm prpbably missing something here?

Hmm. I don't know. That does sound wrong. Which aircraft is it? I'd like to reproduce it here if I can. Can you list the flap positions for me so I can set it up the same here, please? And also, if you can, the range of inputs for each output that you are getting. I'll certainly check to make sure there's not a bug in FSUIPC. It seems unlikely as the code is the same for each movement, it is only a simply calculation.

Pete

I can get every position but Flaps 15? I see at least a number change of 3K when going from flaps 10 to 15 but FSUIPC doesn't chande the output. Every other position it adds or subtracts 2047 as it should. I'm prpbably missing something here?

Hmm. I don't know. That does sound wrong. Which aircraft is it? I'd like to reproduce it here if I can. Can you list the flap positions for me so I can set it up the same here, please? And also, if you can, the range of inputs for each output that you are getting. I'll certainly check to make sure there's not a bug in FSUIPC. It seems unlikely as the code is the same for each movement, it is only a simply calculation.

Pete

Pete

Pete,

Here are the figures I show, note, after recalibrating in WINXP, now flaps 25 is inop. Default 737, FSUIPC "FLAPS" tab, min= -16193 max=16192

IN out

Flaps 0 -16193 0

Flaps 1 -13135 2047

Flaps 2 -11329 4094

Flaps 5 -3800 6141

Flaps 10 -321 8188

Flaps 15 2029 10235

Flaps 25 4764 10235

Flaps 30 8956 12282

Flaps 40 16031 16376

Hope this info helps. It's so close to working correctly. Thanks for your help.

Rob

Pete

Pete,

Here are the figures I show, note, after recalibrating in WINXP, now flaps 25 is inop. Default 737, FSUIPC "FLAPS" tab, min= -16193 max=16192

IN out

Flaps 0 -16193 0

Flaps 1 -13135 2047

Flaps 2 -11329 4094

Flaps 5 -3800 6141

Flaps 10 -321 8188

Flaps 15 2029 10235

Flaps 25 4764 10235

Flaps 30 8956 12282

Flaps 40 16031 16376

Hope this info helps. It's so close to working correctly. Thanks for your help.

Rob

You only show part of the story. There will be a different point at which the change of flaps is made in each direction -- there's no "specific" value for each, but a range. For example, I've just calibrated an ordinary throttle axis as a flaps control. With the default 737 I get:

Min = -16193, Max = 16192 (same as you!)

Increasing IN OUT = Flap Decreasing IN

-16193 0 0 -14567

-14026 2047 1 -10232 centre -12129

-9691 4094 2 -6439 centre -8065

-5898 6141 5 -2104 centre -4001

-1563 8188 10 1968 centre 202

2476 10235 15 6032 centre 4252

6540 12282 25 10096 centre 8318

10604 14329 30 13652 centre 12128

14160 16376 40

You see that because there are 8 intervals between the 9 flap positions, the average "space" per position for a range of 32385 (-16193 to 16192) is 32385/8 = 4048, which is approximately shown by the ranges used and the centres thereof. The two ends will half the range one way (complementary ways), as clearly seen.

I don't know why you are expecting things to change on a 2048 increment, it could be up to 4096 at the extreme, for a clibrated range of -16384 to +16383.

Really, I think, as I stated before, that you are expecting this to work in a way which was never intended. The idea behind it was that you calibrate the LEVER to suit the sim, not calibrate the sim to suit a pre-made notched lever. I think that is your only problem. As far as I can see there are only two possible solutions, one is to write a program to convert your specific range of readings into specific flap selections, using FSUIPC interface (or waiting till I have time to add such a facility), or to replace your potentiometer by a rotary switch with 9 different fixed or trimpot resistors, calculated to get near the centre of each flap position range.

Regards,

Pete

You only show part of the story. There will be a different point at which the change of flaps is made in each direction -- there's no "specific" value for each, but a range. For example, I've just calibrated an ordinary throttle axis as a flaps control. With the default 737 I get:

Min = -16193, Max = 16192 (same as you!)

Increasing IN OUT = Flap Decreasing IN

-16193 0 0 -14567

-14026 2047 1 -10232 centre -12129

-9691 4094 2 -6439 centre -8065

-5898 6141 5 -2104 centre -4001

-1563 8188 10 1968 centre 202

2476 10235 15 6032 centre 4252

6540 12282 25 10096 centre 8318

10604 14329 30 13652 centre 12128

14160 16376 40

You see that because there are 8 intervals between the 9 flap positions, the average "space" per position for a range of 32385 (-16193 to 16192) is 32385/8 = 4048, which is approximately shown by the ranges used and the centres thereof. The two ends will half the range one way (complementary ways), as clearly seen.

I don't know why you are expecting things to change on a 2048 increment, it could be up to 4096 at the extreme, for a clibrated range of -16384 to +16383.

Really, I think, as I stated before, that you are expecting this to work in a way which was never intended. The idea behind it was that you calibrate the LEVER to suit the sim, not calibrate the sim to suit a pre-made notched lever. I think that is your only problem. As far as I can see there are only two possible solutions, one is to write a program to convert your specific range of readings into specific flap selections, using FSUIPC interface (or waiting till I have time to add such a facility), or to replace your potentiometer by a rotary switch with 9 different fixed or trimpot resistors, calculated to get near the centre of each flap position range.

Regards,

Pete

Guest 737SimGuy
...How did you hook the reverse thrust up?

I used separate pots connected to the reverser levers, and switch the pot feeding the throttles via EPIC.

...What struts did you use on Matt Ford's controls to simulate a load?

Used a steering damper from any model year Volkswagon Bug for pitch and rudders. Used bungie's for roll.

James

Guest 737SimGuy

I used separate pots connected to the reverser levers, and switch the pot feeding the throttles via EPIC.

Used a steering damper from any model year Volkswagon Bug for pitch and rudders. Used bungie's for roll.

James

James

Thanks for the info James. Never thought of the bunggie method. :o

James

Thanks for the info James. Never thought of the bunggie method. :o