The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC controlling player's aircraft

Hi Pete -

Need some advice on how to go about "capturing" a helicopter. Here's the situation.... When the aircraft approaches a certain position - lat/lon/alt and within a certain radius of it - say 3 foot radius, I want to capture the aircraft and hold it at the lat/lon/altitude until the pilot executes some other commands to "lift off". The position is literally in the air - it is not at ground level.

I have been able to almost capture the aircraft in that I hear the tires impact at each iteration of my simulation which is attempting to fix the lat/lon/alt (0560,0568,0570). I also set the verticle speed (0842) and speed (02B8, 02Bc,02c8) to zero. In between my simulation updates, the aircraft continues to fly/fall, and setting the lat/lon has no effect, although the altitude seems to be working.

So what I want to do is to stop all motion of the aircraft until some key is pressed to lift off. Any suggestions?

I have been able to almost capture the aircraft in that I hear the tires impact at each iteration of my simulation which is attempting to fix the lat/lon/alt (0560,0568,0570). I also set the verticle speed (0842) and speed (02B8, 02Bc,02c8) to zero.

Setting the speed to zero isn't possible, it is dynamically caliulated using the velocities and accelerations you'll find in the higher offsets. You can write to those with some, temporary effect, but you have to keep writing.

In between my simulation updates, the aircraft continues to fly/fall, and setting the lat/lon has no effect, although the altitude seems to be working.

Well, that could be made to work using the already FSUIPC-implemented "flight freeze" facility, which holds the latitude and longitude but not the altitude. That was reqested for use in flight training schools -- the aircraft continues to fly and has speed, but it's position over the world doesn't change. All you'd then need to do is maintain altitude.

The flight freeze facility was added in version 3.44, with a bug fix in 3.45. Check the FSUIPC History document -- it's the second item under 3.44. It is usable by programming buttons and keys as well as through FSUIPC offsets.

Regards

Pete

Ahhh, so! I see masta.

I solved the problem thanks to your response. I hadn't seen the higher indexed items. By setting them (velocities) to all zeros I am now able to "land" a helo anywhere - but most importantly on an AI ship.

Excellent! Thanks for your reply and FSUIPC!