The simFlight Network Forums

Aircraft Sequencing

ilellis

Don't know if this is being considered for the next update but no doubt is becoming popular (and important) is improved sequencing of aircraft. AI traffic in FS9 unrealistically causes aircraft to "bunch" up at landing causing go-arounds that wouldn't normally happen at even the more busy airports. ATC usually "stacks up" incoming aircraft to properly space landing aircraft and to allow for departing aircraft depending on the runways in use at the airport. I myself have used your product (My World 2004 v2.1 currently) because the aircraft look decent and include the broadest types (including military AI) but was wondering if you have any plans to incorporate program coding to improve the aircraft sequencing for AI aircraft landing at a destination airport? Many other packages have already started doing this (keeps a sim fan from having to run so many third party programs to manage all this stuff). Again, just curious...FYI! :)

I looked into the two proposed solutions that are on the market, and had the chance to read some reviews. My conclusion is that it doesn't work. The aircrafts get send away or moved even in situations where there is no need for it, as example it seems impossible to distinguish if two planes head for two parallel runways or for one only, and even if there is another airport nearby with again a parallel runway this seems to make a conflict. Once the aircrafts are sent to a pattern, they are marked for deletion at the next chance anyway, and it seems once they get touched the AI player cannot get full control over them again, so steers them into mountains, just into the ground, and back to the airport only sometimes.

The conclusion is, that while a good idea, FS9 cannot handle it - if you run the simulation using this at EDDF as example for 6 hours you only have a handful of aircrafts at the airport, all the rest got deleted or crashed.

There are altenatives. First, MyTraffic isn't affected as much as the other packages. These have marketing departure times, dozens of aircafts leaving at the same minute, while MyTraffic tries to simulate real departures distributed flat. Second, the capacity per runway can be adjusted in the MyTraffic concept to keep this problem in limits. Third, I have distributed with the 2.1a update quite some airports with crosswind support - usage of 4 instead of two runways at KSFO as example is the best way to reduce this problem. I asked several times if there are proposals for other airports that would need such crosswind support, but got no response, so this seems not to be a major concern any more.

I personally am much more embarassed seeing that landing aircrafts are blocking runways when they are about 8 miles away. They are blocking the runways so that aircrafts that want to cross it get stuck. This in effect, for most airports, happens more oftenly than the more spectacular bunches - and makes efficient usage of several runways difficult. At some airports one can help with addition of taxiways.

There another bug in FS9 is again against us - AI traffic tends to use taxiways even if they are closed to avoid much longer taxiing - however we turn it, we are at the limits of what FS9 can do.

This issue is so artifical anyways. If they would allow all runways to be used simultanously ( at the risk of rare collisions of aircrafts tunneling through each other ), block the runway only if 3 miles away, make it free immediately after takeoff, so three lines to change, it wouldn't exist.

• 3 weeks later...

There are solutions to your questions out there. I use FSAI but AI smooth will work for you too. They keep the aircraft sequenced apart better so you don't get the traffic jam. AVSIM (aismooth_v111a.zip)

For aircraft that disappear when they land, it's because they don't have an available gate to park at. You'll need to add more parking spaces with AFCAD. You can download hundred's of updated AFCAD files that add gates to existing FS2004 airports and add-on ones too.

Just trying to help. Don't know if I can post about AVSIM here or not, so if I anger anybody, I'm sorry. I'm a newbie.

BA43

Howdy BA43,

Yep I have both AI Smooth and AI Separation. My hope here was to encourage someone to blend this feature into the My Traffic 2004 program (like this one best). Traffic 2005 (which I don't care for) has already done this. My hope is to bring the AI traffic closer to the :real thing" so you at least get a chance to takeoff or land mix in with them. Right now of course you can sit in line for some time waiting for landing aircraft or be on final with another aircraft. I know it won't happen tomorrow but maybe if enough interest is generated someone will help, Microsoft included... :D

Maybe you do have better experience, but mine is that those tools do not work, and my analysis is that they even cannot do so. I spent some time on this. A typical example, for those of you who know the area.

MyTraffic has traffic into EDDF ( of course ) and into ETOU, a US-military airport 10 miles away, with one runway parallel to the two used for landing on EDDF.

A plane approaching ETOU is handled by both tools as a conflict to EDDF, as are planes that approach the two parallel landing runways. The information available (known how to access?) for a landing aircraft is just the heading and the position, this can be compared, so three aircrafts could be handled in the sim were only one can pass the algorithms. The two others, set into a pattern, than go to Nirwana in most cases.

So, any such tool must reduce the landing capacity by a factor of 3 here, resulting in empty airports after some hours of simming.

Whenever I get a chance I will try to get the programmers of the AI_player.dll to think about this, that is the best and only place for a good solution.

( There is no problem with AVSIM site here, I visit it almost daily, ( and MyTraffic adverts help financing it ).

Hi folks, another 'problem' with AI-traffic is the default taxiway/runway speed. Ken Salter's FS Configurator (I believe it was implemented in FSC v.1.60), includes two settings (RW/TW) to accelerate AI ground speeds. Somehow, this seems at least as useful as seperation tools and it 'pushes' the landed AI-aircraft to quickly exit the runway and make space for the following operation. FSC can also be downloaded at Avsim. Good luck and kind regards

Jaap