The simFlight Network Forums

extracting data

Sorry for the repeat..I posted this to the tech site as well...

I am conducting some experiments for the FAA and for NASA and need to get data during a sim flight (about 10-15 minutes worth). In particular I need aircraft elevation and horizontal position, attitude (pitch, bank, and yaw), and control inputs if possible. The data will be should be collected at about 0.5 Hz or so and be saved in a file for later analysis. I thought I would try and use fslook or fs interrogate hooked to a laptop via WideFS. I am having trouble figuring out how to save the data in a file. Does this seem like a reasonable approach? or Do I need to write my own code to get these values?

Mike C.

I am having trouble figuring out how to save the data in a file. Does this seem like a reasonable approach? or Do I need to write my own code to get these values?

I think you will have to write your own code as I don't know of a program ready-made to do such things, though you should look at FS Flight Keeper by Thomas Molitor (not a free program) which does record a lot of data and may just include much of what you want.

Alternatively, a recording facility in FSInterrogate may well be useful, so try writing to Pelle Liljendal (see his FSI2 announcement above) and see what he says.

Regards,

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Mike

I have developed and published an application that may be able to help you here. You should be able to get it from http://www.schiratti.com/starkie.

It is a programming environment based on a subset of C, with extensions that allow you to define FSUIPC variables. e.g. You define a variable such as "int altitude at $4000", taking the figures from Pete's documentation.

It will generate diagnostic output that you can control using printf. The output goes to a tabbed page in the same program.

If you have any questions, please post an answer to this board.

p.s. I have been working on enhancements to this program, but have been busy at work. The (as yet unreleased) new version supports plug-in DLLs. I will include a few DLLs before releasing, and tidy up the user interface.