The simFlight Network Forums

AdvDisplay conflict with Activesky wxre

I am having a problem when using AdvDisplay (latest version) and the payware weather program Activesky. I have tried addressing the issue with the author of Activesky, Damien Clark but all he keeps telling me is that yes, it is a known bug and to just diable AdvDisply. Well, being that I fly online, I don't want to see all the pilot's text messages so diabling it is not gonna work. Seems that when AdvDisplay is used, it prevent Activesky to communicate correctly with FSUIPC in regards to updates to winds. I know this is true because when I disable AdvDiplay, I get the correct winds on the next update interval from Activeksy. Just wondering if that bug could somehow be worked out? Thanks Pete.

I am having a problem when using AdvDisplay (latest version) and the payware weather program Activesky. I have tried addressing the issue with the author of Activesky, Damien Clark but all he keeps telling me is that yes, it is a known bug and to just diable AdvDisply. Well, being that I fly online, I don't want to see all the pilot's text messages so diabling it is not gonna work. Seems that when AdvDisplay is used, it prevent Activesky to communicate correctly with FSUIPC in regards to updates to winds. I know this is true because when I disable AdvDiplay, I get the correct winds on the next update interval from Activeksy. Just wondering if that bug could somehow be worked out? Thanks Pete.

I am having a problem when using AdvDisplay (latest version) and the payware weather program Activesky. I have tried addressing the issue with the author of Activesky, Damien Clark but all he keeps telling me is that yes, it is a known bug and to just diable AdvDisply.

A known bug in ActiveSky? I don't know it, but I don't use ActiveSky. Has he determined the cause?

Well, being that I fly online, I don't want to see all the pilot's text messages so diabling it is not gonna work.[\quote]

I don't understand this part. What has AdvDisplay got to do with disabling pilot messages? What pilot messages are they, and where from?

Seems that when AdvDisplay is used, it prevent Activesky to communicate correctly with FSUIPC in regards to updates to winds. I know this is true because when I disable AdvDiplay, I get the correct winds on the next update interval from Activeksy.[\quote]

That is not really a logical deduction. All that means is that when AdvDisplay is running, something is different. There's nothing there to do with communications with FSUIPC -- look for yourself: activate the FSUIPC IPC logging. If data is arriving from ActiveSky, then it will be applied. Activate the FSUIPC Weather logging. Are the winds being set there? If not, then ActiveSky has the problem. If they are, but the winds in FS remain the same, then it is probably the famous FS wind caching bug -- in the latter case, please check the winds in the FS Weather Dialogue. If they agree with ActiveSky but not with the actual simulation winds, then it is the FS cache bug -- the only way to change the winds once they become stuck like that is to reload an aircraft or flight. Try it. Let me know.

I like all Radar Contact users use AdvDisplay all the time, mostly along with FSMeteo for weather control, and there is never any problem with wind updates. I think this must be a bug in ActiveSky -- it does try to send messages for display in FS, doesn't it? That is the only difference really -- FSMeteo does not. Do you actually see messages on the FS screen from ActiveSky? Try setting the "disable wx messages" in ActiveSky's options. If that fixes the problem, then it is either some interaction in ActiveSky between the sending of Wind data and the messages, or an FS timing bug related to weather caching. In fact the only difference in the FS end will be in the timing because of the need for AdvDisplay to become involved.

There is really no relationship, no connection whatsoever, between AdvDisplay's actions and FSUIPC's weather facilities, and I cannot really investigate problems in ActiveSky, the author needs to do this. I will help him if he gets in touch, though I am 100% occupied by FS9 for a few months. If he experiments with the order in which he does things he may find the cause. FSUIPC provides logging facilities which should help a lot.

If the end symptom is, in fact, the FS stuck wind bug (which you can verify for yourself, as described above), then it seems likely that the timing between the changing of winds by ActiveSky and its display of the WX briefing message is exacerbating an FS bug that otherwise occurs quite infrequently (but, nevertheless does occur). Possibly Damian can reverse the order of these two events, or insert a deliberate delay between them.

It would certainly bear some investigation along the lines I mention. Please keep me informed of how things go. I am interested despite not being able to do anything much for it at present.

Regards,

Pete

I am having a problem when using AdvDisplay (latest version) and the payware weather program Activesky. I have tried addressing the issue with the author of Activesky, Damien Clark but all he keeps telling me is that yes, it is a known bug and to just diable AdvDisply.

A known bug in ActiveSky? I don't know it, but I don't use ActiveSky. Has he determined the cause?

Well, being that I fly online, I don't want to see all the pilot's text messages so diabling it is not gonna work.[\quote]

I don't understand this part. What has AdvDisplay got to do with disabling pilot messages? What pilot messages are they, and where from?

Seems that when AdvDisplay is used, it prevent Activesky to communicate correctly with FSUIPC in regards to updates to winds. I know this is true because when I disable AdvDiplay, I get the correct winds on the next update interval from Activeksy.[\quote]

That is not really a logical deduction. All that means is that when AdvDisplay is running, something is different. There's nothing there to do with communications with FSUIPC -- look for yourself: activate the FSUIPC IPC logging. If data is arriving from ActiveSky, then it will be applied. Activate the FSUIPC Weather logging. Are the winds being set there? If not, then ActiveSky has the problem. If they are, but the winds in FS remain the same, then it is probably the famous FS wind caching bug -- in the latter case, please check the winds in the FS Weather Dialogue. If they agree with ActiveSky but not with the actual simulation winds, then it is the FS cache bug -- the only way to change the winds once they become stuck like that is to reload an aircraft or flight. Try it. Let me know.

I like all Radar Contact users use AdvDisplay all the time, mostly along with FSMeteo for weather control, and there is never any problem with wind updates. I think this must be a bug in ActiveSky -- it does try to send messages for display in FS, doesn't it? That is the only difference really -- FSMeteo does not. Do you actually see messages on the FS screen from ActiveSky? Try setting the "disable wx messages" in ActiveSky's options. If that fixes the problem, then it is either some interaction in ActiveSky between the sending of Wind data and the messages, or an FS timing bug related to weather caching. In fact the only difference in the FS end will be in the timing because of the need for AdvDisplay to become involved.

There is really no relationship, no connection whatsoever, between AdvDisplay's actions and FSUIPC's weather facilities, and I cannot really investigate problems in ActiveSky, the author needs to do this. I will help him if he gets in touch, though I am 100% occupied by FS9 for a few months. If he experiments with the order in which he does things he may find the cause. FSUIPC provides logging facilities which should help a lot.

If the end symptom is, in fact, the FS stuck wind bug (which you can verify for yourself, as described above), then it seems likely that the timing between the changing of winds by ActiveSky and its display of the WX briefing message is exacerbating an FS bug that otherwise occurs quite infrequently (but, nevertheless does occur). Possibly Damian can reverse the order of these two events, or insert a deliberate delay between them.

It would certainly bear some investigation along the lines I mention. Please keep me informed of how things go. I am interested despite not being able to do anything much for it at present.

Regards,

Pete

No he has not, I have asked him time and again to get ahold of you but who knows....

When you use SBHost and Squawkbox, everytime someone types a text message "inside" Squawkbox it will appear as the default red text with the green bar background inside the FS as well as inside the Squawkbox

message box (kind of redundant I know) so that is why I use your AdvDisplay to hide the default text cause I don't need to see the messages twice.

Pete, I know it is not a problem with your module. I know and the author of Activesky knows that it is with his program. He just seems unable to get this bug fixed. I was hoping that you used Activesky and knew a way around the bug. The author of Activesky says you have to diable AdvDisplay module for Activesky to work properly. I don't get the reasoning behind this either but I am not a programmer so I was turning to you for some help.

I like all Radar Contact users use AdvDisplay all the time, mostly along with FSMeteo for weather control, and there is never any problem with wind updates. I think this must be a bug in ActiveSky -- it does try to send messages for display in FS, doesn't it? That is the only difference really -- FSMeteo does not. Do you actually see messages on the FS screen from ActiveSky? Try setting the "disable wx messages" in ActiveSky's options.

Tried that above and it does not work.

If that fixes the problem, then it is either some interaction in ActiveSky between the sending of Wind data and the messages, or an FS timing bug related to weather caching. In fact the only difference in the FS end will be in the timing because of the need for AdvDisplay to become involved.

Pete, you bring up many good things in here. I am going to copy your reply and ship it to the author and have him have a go at it. Thanks for the valued input.

Regards,

Pete

Eric

No he has not, I have asked him time and again to get ahold of you but who knows....

When you use SBHost and Squawkbox, everytime someone types a text message "inside" Squawkbox it will appear as the default red text with the green bar background inside the FS as well as inside the Squawkbox

message box (kind of redundant I know) so that is why I use your AdvDisplay to hide the default text cause I don't need to see the messages twice.

Pete, I know it is not a problem with your module. I know and the author of Activesky knows that it is with his program. He just seems unable to get this bug fixed. I was hoping that you used Activesky and knew a way around the bug. The author of Activesky says you have to diable AdvDisplay module for Activesky to work properly. I don't get the reasoning behind this either but I am not a programmer so I was turning to you for some help.

I like all Radar Contact users use AdvDisplay all the time, mostly along with FSMeteo for weather control, and there is never any problem with wind updates. I think this must be a bug in ActiveSky -- it does try to send messages for display in FS, doesn't it? That is the only difference really -- FSMeteo does not. Do you actually see messages on the FS screen from ActiveSky? Try setting the "disable wx messages" in ActiveSky's options.

Tried that above and it does not work.

If that fixes the problem, then it is either some interaction in ActiveSky between the sending of Wind data and the messages, or an FS timing bug related to weather caching. In fact the only difference in the FS end will be in the timing because of the need for AdvDisplay to become involved.

Pete, you bring up many good things in here. I am going to copy your reply and ship it to the author and have him have a go at it. Thanks for the valued input.

Regards,

Pete

Eric

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, there is a conflict between AdvDisp and the weather, but not exactly with ActiveSky wxre. It can happen also with FSMeteo. The conflict I’ve observed was due to docking AdvDisp to the Dreamfleet 734 main panel and, after that, visibility started varying from the side views.

As an example, in CAVOK conditions, above 6000ft, looking through right or left views of DF734 , you see visibility getting poor quickly. Back to front view, visibility improves back fast, up to horizon. Also, you can observe other clouds and wind fast changes when looking through the side views. Below 6000ft, the conditions are inverted – bad visibility at front and good at the side views!!!

I am not sure if this phenomenon also happens in other default or third party aircraft.

IF YOU USE RADAR CONTACT 3 – Here is what you can do:

Dock the AdvDisp window on a main panel WITH A SECONDARY PANEL ON. If you are in the Cessna 182, first turn on the Radio Stack and dock AdvDisp window. On the Dreamfleet B734, dock the AdvDisp window RIGHT ON THE RADIO STACK PANEL. A good place is on the TRIM controls, down right.

What will happen?

Then, the AdvDisp windows WILL ONLY APPEAR WHEN THE RADIO STACK PANEL IS ON. That is a fine situation, because, when using Radar Contact 3, you don’t need the AdvDisp window ON all the time.

This is a rule I am following for all my aircraft. In the Cessna Caravan equipped with Reality XP Garmin 530, I docked AdvDisp window with the Garmin ON. When I want to see the window, I just turn on the Garmin, otherwise it is kept OFF.

Hope this helps

Regards from Rio de Janeiro

Yes, there is a conflict between AdvDisp and the weather, but not exactly with ActiveSky wxre. It can happen also with FSMeteo. The conflict I’ve observed was due to docking AdvDisp to the Dreamfleet 734 main panel and, after that, visibility started varying from the side views.

This cannot be a conflict specifically with AdvDisp. AdvDisp has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with anything weatherwise or graphics. It is simply using standard Windows procedures to show or hide a window. What may be happening is that the extra load on the graphics drivers of having another window being displayed or hidden just at the same time as it is supposed to be making other changes is having adverse effects. Alternatively, there's a timing problem in FS itself in making these changes whilst FS is trying to change other things.

Both possibilities were offset considerably in version 2 of AdvDisplay by locking it to FS's frame rate rather than allowing it to be asynchronous.

Then, the AdvDisp windows WILL ONLY APPEAR WHEN THE RADIO STACK PANEL IS ON. That is a fine situation, because, when using Radar Contact 3, you don’t need the AdvDisp window ON all the time.

Why so complicated? Why not just have it positioned in a place you like and Lock it, not Dock it? Then use the FSUIPC hotkey facility to show it and hide it. That's what all those new facilities were provided for, exactly to do what you are trying to do in a more complex fashion.

Pete

Thanks for replying. I was really confused at first with the Dock and Lock options and, sometimes, with the window stubbornly disappearing from the place I docked it. I will try to lock it now, as you say.

Fact is, the solution I found did resolve the variable visibility issue, but I understand that there should be millions of other subtle Windows+FS graphic interface reasons behind this episode. This and other system problems arise everyday, breaking our hobby in 30% of conflicting troubles, 30% in configuration troubles, 30% of installations troubles, leaving just 10% of pleasure. That’s not fair. FS is a time consuming hobby.

For 2 months, I was struggling with a nag around San Francisco airports: My Dreamfleet B734 could not capture localizers or VORs at the Bay area. Only the Dreamfleet!!! I reinstalled the aircraft 3 or 4 times, uninstalled all third party sceneries, aircraft and add-ons. After sometime, this visibility issue started happening. Finally, I uninstalled FS2002 and the Bay area issue ceased, but the visibility issue came with the Radar Contact 3 installation. I’m sure you understand my conclusion when I stated that flying without AdvDisp on the main DF734 panel, the weather issue did not happen.

I’ll be back to tell about the results with locking the AdvDisp window.

Thanks again, and regards.