The simFlight Network Forums

Two levers for four engines

Dear Pete!

I have bought the CH Throttle Quadrant. I fly mailny heavy metal in FS9. However, the only heavy with four engines that I am interested in is PMDG's 744. The rest I do have and fly most usually are double-engined (PMDG 737NG, Level-D 767-300 or PSS 777-200LR). The throttle handles are too short for my taste, so I remade them and now they are long, big and quite similar to real throttle levers of the boeing type. However, there was enough space to remodel just two levers (no. 1 and 4), so 2 and 3 are left idle forward.

My question (although it may sound not very realistic) is related to my will to fly the four-engine plane again (747):

Is this possible to use two levers for controlling four throttles via assigning both engine 1 and 2 throttles to lever 1 and 3 with 4 to lever 4 in FSUIPC?

Or, in other words, can one lever control two throttle axes and the other the remaining two (in order to control four engines with just two throttle levers)?

Of course I realize that operating single engines would not be possible then (only seeing two engines as one).

If so - how?

Thanks in advance,

Rafal

Is this possible to use two levers for controlling four throttles via assigning both engine 1 and 2 throttles to lever 1 and 3 with 4 to lever 4 in FSUIPC?

Or, in other words, can one lever control two throttle axes and the other the remaining two (in order to control four engines with just two throttle levers)?

Yes, of course. You calibrate the two throttles on page three of the Joysticks tab ("Separate throttles per engine"), and check the option which says "Map 1->12, 2->34" You can also fly a three engined aircraft by an option to map 1->12, 2->3 (for symmetry only the centre engine is then separated).

>> Of course I realize that operating single engines would not be possible then (only seeing two engines as one). <<

Yes, it will be -- just use the throttle assigned to engine 1.

This is actually covered, albeit perhaps a little briefly, in the FSUIPC user documentation. It's in the Joysticks section, in paragraphs starting with "There are four special cases you may want to deal with". Take a look.

Regards,

Pete