The simFlight Network Forums

Multiple CFG / INI files

Pete,

In relation to the following section of the Advanced Users Manual:

QUOTE:

Different FSUIPC.ini files can be used for differing FS requirements, even loading from the same FS2000/2002 installation. This involves using multiple FS2000.CFG, FS2002.CFG or FS9.CFG files with different filenames, with the following section added in each one:

[FSUIPC]

ControlName=

Then you load FS for each configuration with the command line parameter specifying the CFG file, thus, for FS2000 for example:

FS2000.exe /CFG:.CFG

And this will allow FSUIPC to identify its correct .INI file, .ini.

IMPORTANT: For FS9 CFG files, please put your alternative CFG files into the main FS9 folder, not the “Documents and Settings” place where the default FS9.CFG goes. If you put it where it seems logical, FS9 will not see it and will create a new default CFG file with the name you specified, placing it in the default FS9 folder!

UNQUOTE

When you refer to CONTROL name, are you talking abou the FSUIPC.INI name, eg myalt1.ini?

Where is this [FSUIPC] section to be found?

Also, I have created and put the cfg files in the documents subdirectory structure, and FS did not create/put the files into the FS9 main folder. As it happens, it does find them where they are, but I need to specify the full path. It would not find them if I put them into the main FS9 folder unless I also gave the full path. Did you try the above or has behaviour changed since FS patches?

Cheers

When you refer to CONTROL name, are you talking abou the FSUIPC.INI name, eg myalt1.ini?

Yes, that's why I said "And this will allow FSUIPC to identify its correct .INI file, .ini." The part is the value assigned to ControlName, if you check back in the text.

Where is this [FSUIPC] section to be found?

Well, of course it cannot be found unless you've added it to your CFG file. Once you've added it then obviously you will know where to "find" it. :-)

Also, I have created and put the cfg files in the documents subdirectory structure, and FS did not create/put the files into the FS9 main folder.

No it doesn't put those files there. When I tried it /CFG: option caused FS to look in the FS9 folder -- it only creates a new default if it couldn't find the file you specify.

As it happens, it does find them where they are, but I need to specify the full path. It would not find them if I put them into the main FS9 folder unless I also gave the full path. Did you try the above or has behaviour changed since FS patches?

If it behaves as you say now, then it must have changed in 9.1 I assume. The way it worked before was most likely an error in any case.

Can you tell me what you want different FSUIPC.INI files for please? The original reason folks wanted to do that was for different Joystick calibrations and mappings. Now, with the current FSUIPC versions, you can have aircraft-specific joystick settings (like Buttons and Keys), I am a little puzzled why you still need separate files.

Regards,

Pete

Can you tell me what you want different FSUIPC.INI files for please? The original reason folks wanted to do that was for different Joystick calibrations and mappings. Now, with the current FSUIPC versions, you can have aircraft-specific joystick settings (like Buttons and Keys), I am a little puzzled why you still need separate files.

Regards,

Pete

I am using two joystick configurations. One for Airbus flying (CH Yoke for throttles - pic320, and joystick for the airbus stick), and one for Boing (or more accurately non Airbus flying (where only CH Yoke is configured). With separate CFG files I have managed to get the whole thing working no problem (and did not even have to use the excellent new facilities in latest FSUIPC). I was just wondering if multiple ini's could give me even greater flexibility, and have still found no reason pretty much for the reasons you mention, so I will not bother :D