The simFlight Network Forums

Upon start of FS9 I get scenery.cfg errors

cloudflyer

Downloaded and installed MyTraffic yesterday. When I begin FS9, I get a couple of error screens "SCENERY.CFG FILE ERROR. LOCAL SCENERY DIRECTORY (SCENEDB\MYTRAFFIC AFD\SCENERY) IN SCENERY AREA .63 NOT FOUND"

Happens twice with .63 and twice with .64

I checked the scenery library and found that I had disabled some scenery areas when MyTraffic did it's setup. Had this anything to do with the errors? I enabled all the areas but still get the errors. Also in the library, I see a MyTraffic area in both level 2 and level 3. Is this normal?

Michael

To remove the double scenery entries, proceed as I will describe in a sticky procedure on the MyWorld forum.

http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?t=46028

In addition, you should remove all entries that contain a scenedb entry - all this is for FS2002, not adjusted and cannot work with FS9. Still worse, due to the same conceptual bug that leads to the double entries such an install can be the source of instabilities of all kinds.

I deleted all duplicate entries in all the scenery.cgf files I had and removed the double entries from my scenery library. I still get the scenery.cfg error in areas 63 and 64 upon startup. My library shows:

MyWorldAirports...................Layer 1

MyTrafficATC.......................Layer 2

MyTrafficAFD.......................Layer 63

Also. I get horrible stuttering of FS9 whenever in the vicinity of an airport with AI traffic. On the ground, with traffic set to 40 percent, the stuttering makes the sim almost unusable. Framerates are good and no stuttering with AI at zero. Is this related to the scenery.cfg errors?

Michael

Hi Michael,

The stuttering is probably not due to the scenery.cfg but due to the additional load on your CPU and GPU to process the extra polygons and textures contributed by the AI aircraft.

To fix those errors, delete the MyTrafficAFD layer(s) from your scenery library. If it refuses to work, then refer to the link in Burkhard's post, except that in this case you want to delete both (I am assuming layer 64 is also a MyTrafficAFD layer) entries.

If it still refuses to work, and you have verified that you don't have 2 scenery.cfg files (one in the [Flight Simulator 9] directory and the other in the [C]\Application Data\Microsoft\FS9] directory, then download scm2004.zip from the Avsim file library and use that to delete the two AFD layers.

You should also delete the MyTrafficATC layer from the library as it is not required (I am surprised that its not causing errors similar to those caused by the AFD layer).

Finally, the MyWorldAirports layer should be immediately below the Addon Scenery layer in the FS9 scenery library (please note that if you use SCM2004, it should be immediately above). In other words, the layer number for MyWorldAirports should be one less than the layer number for Addon Scnenery.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your help so far. I didn't know there could be so mant scenery.cfg files stored on my pc. I deleted every one and removed the entries you noted. Seems like the errors have been eliminated. However, the stuttering is persistant. I purchased MyTraffic after installing the demo file. I flew at the Sydney airport loaded with AI traffic and had a smooth running system. What makes the commercial version different? I have a Dell Dimension 8300 3.2ghz P4, WinXP SP2, 1gb ram and a GeForce 6800 Ultra video card. Does everyone have the stuttering problem? I set AI traffic at 10 percent and there is not much difference than 100 percent traffic as far as the stuttering. Is my system not capable of handling AI traffic? I have tweaked everything as much as possible to get a smooth running sim only to find I cannot use MyTraffic. I'm disappointed. Is there anyone that has a smooth running system with this addon? I'd like to hear from you.

Michael

I still must question about which version you installed? Your error messages all show that you installed a FS2002 version, but you have FS2004? That just cannot work. Which MyTraffic files do you have under world/scenery/world?

Maybe you installed a FS2002 version and a FS2004 one? In this case you might have double the number of flights to handle with not the latest MyTraffic aircraft installed??? - thaT must give horrible results.

OK, that looks well. It came over me tonight while sleeping badly that the scenery configurations came from the MyTraffic 2002 demo that you referred to. Where did you find that, I'm not aware that it is on any of our sites, it got removed 2 and a half years ago to my knowledge, but it is a problem of the web you never know were links to something exist.

So, let us analyse your performance problem. Your system should be able to operate smothly with at least 70% of traffic density settings ( and normal simulation speed. Double or quad simulation speed are killers ).

So if at 10% you still get stutters, there must be something basically wrong with your setup, and MyTraffic cannot be the reason ( but maybe the last drop in a full barrel ).

One item known to me is the slider for the mip map quality (under settings display aircraft ). On my system ( a GF6600 ) I get some stutters with this set to 8, while at 7 they are gone.

Another item are bad sound drivers. We had a case were this stuttering existed as long as sound was on and completely removed with sound off - a case of an onboard sound in a chip set running completely in software.

Another item could be extremely bad fragmentation of the FS disk, making all file access too slow - try defragmentation - if you use the stock defragmenter you better apply it twice to get sufficient results.

Stuttering is known to be induced from the memory overrun problem with autogen objects, did you rename the file \autogen\default.xml to something like \autogen\default.xml.passive or delete it, which is the first FS9 performance tweak.

That are my first ideas... Good luck.

<>

Yes, the demo is on your website. I overlooked the fact that it was for FS2002. It ran fine though. One aircraft texture was missing.

<>

Mipmap is set at 4.

<>

I defrag at least once a week. Last time I went to defrag it stated it was not necessary.

<\autogen\default.xml to something like \autogen\default.xml.passive or delete it, which is the first FS9 performance tweak. >>

I'm not familiar with this. Could you explain further?

Thanks,

Michael

Hi Micheal,

As far as I am aware, the autogen memory leak which Burkhard is referring to was fixed with the FS9.1 patch. Have you updated FS by installing that patch?

Also, did you try temporarily disabling sound by hitting Q on the keyboard to see if this improves performance signficantly?

So we do need more information to track the problem.

a) where do you have it, which settings of AI slider, which airport, stock or addon, which time of day, what kind of stuttering?

b) you say you have it with AI traffic density at 10%. Than the tracking of the aircraft cannot be the source. At 1x speed, you system should be able to track about 500 aircraft around you. Open under Tool the Traffic Explorer, this tells you how many aircraft are around you. At 10% I cannot image a spot in the world where this could exceed 120 approx.

c) Is it in the air or while you are taxiing at ground?

There is a file \autogen\default.xml . This adds random silos, fast food places etx to the scenery. The problem with this is that when you pass by, they aren't deleted due to a bug in FS9, letting FS9 grow over all limits. You feel this with a stuttering first, it gets worse and worse, after hours you get a message "FS9 out of memory" or similar. Renaming this file to \autogen\default.xml.passive is the most powerful performance tweak I know for FS9 - and easily revertible. The immediate framerate win is small, but after an hour it can be large.

@Husain. The 9.1 patch does not affect this problem to my knowledge. It

ixes the crashes related to sand or snow haze, but not the performance problem.

I did some testing. First I renamed the default.xml to exclude it and it appears to have some slight benefit. What does this eliminate?

Next, I'm using the default 172 at KCDW, midday. I have a 38m mesh installed. Sitting or taxxing on the ground with no AI the sim is smooth and frame rates are around 60. With 100 percent AI I get the stuttering and frame rates are 20-25. In the air 25-30 but the stuttering is around every second or 2 for a half second up to 5 seconds.CPU usage is 51 percent and PF usage is 860 MB. Maybe the problem is looking at the traffic toolbox, I see 644 AI aircraft. At KSEA at 16:30 GMT, with the 172, and no AI, smooth and 30-40 FPS. With 100 percent AI lots of stuttering while taxxing and frames of 15-20, at times dropping to 2-3 while stuttering. AI total 345, I noticed some AI crashing into each other, some flying way too fast or in the air nose to tail.

Michael

It looks like you have your framerate slider not used or at a very value? This enforces stuttering, since you just order FS9 to give framerate the absolute prio over everything else.

The meaning of this slider is to set it 1 number below the minimum you get with your setup in order to have smooth running, mine is set to 16 as example - the debate of this slider is as old as FS2002 is where it appeared first.

BUT: You tell us now that your CPU is only used to 51. This just means that there is another thing in your computer blocking it from working. This is getting extremely difficult to handle now - it can go down to anything from chipset to grafics driver, since I only know FS9 to use up 98-99% of the CPU.

Problem is that monitoring is so hard, maybe you start the Monitor and look what processes have I/O but FS9, or page file count or any other counter increasing during FS9 running. The frame rates you see make sense, the stuttering not.

I can get hands on a Dell Dimension 2.8GHz P4 and can give it a try on that.

Ok, I tested this now on the Dell, it is a PIV with 2.6 GB and Intel Extreme Grafics. With aircraft options and diplay to the max, at KSEA I get 9,2 frames with HT on and 9.8 FPS with HT off. Taxiiing around, I also notice some delays, in whcih the CPU goes down to near 0, so something blocking must appear, and it appears when new aircraft come in sight and load the textures. Will experiment with this.

Your numbers there look reasonable. Paul hasn't version 2.1 installed, so he will not have the same number.

In the New York Area or around KORD, 100% density can go up to 900-1000 aircrafts. Seatle has the advantage that there are no smaller airports on one side, so 300-400 depending on time of day should be ok, and you computer should be able to handle these with correct settings, and our job is to identify which ones to choose.

On thing got reported from ATI cards mainly is that an entry

DXTn=0

in the display.cfg can reduce such stuttering effects. By the way it could also solve Paul's problem. A nice summary of were we are going now is under

http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az==450&page=

I could do this test now for the Dell system I have. Setting DXTn=0 seems to reduce the blocking effects, CPU does not go down to 0-20 from 100%, but to 80 only. Downside is that the overall framerate went down by 20% if I'm correct.

This makes some sense: DXTn=0 is assumed to tell the grafics adapter not to use mipmaps supplied from textures, but to calculate them on the fly. On a poor CPU like the PIV 2600 and and Intel Grafics chip, this must cost CPU power. Most likely your grafics adapter will be able to do that better, in hardware and not in software, if you have drivers installed that are optimzed for performance and not for safety. What you win is that the texture is only loaded once from disk, and not for every mip map again as soon as the grafics texture buffer is full - so this should reduce I/O on the expense of CPU power.

Hi folks, AFAI-can-judge, DXTn=0 works with both Radeons and Geforces. The only thing I noticed with Geforces, is that the effect appears to be less dramatic.

IMHO, the - by far - easiest way to combat stutters, is to move the 'Global texture size' slider one or two notches to the left.

Another performance 'easer' is to disable either of the AI-types in the 'Traffic' configuration box: Select either 'Airline' or 'General avaition' according to your preferences. The previous mention goes side by side with the AI traffic percentage. Personally, I don't think it's a good idea to want to have AI at 100% when parallely both types of AI are active.

As Burkhard mentioned, having a relatively low framerate lock is another aide. I have mine locked @ 22-24 (depending on the machine).

Finally, it's good enough to add the DXTn=0 line into the fs9.cfg. It's not a necessity to do it in the display.cfg. Below is an example of the relevant section in the fs9.cfg:

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT.0]

Mode=1280x1024x32

DXTn=0

Hope this helps, good luck and kind regards

Jaap