The simFlight Network Forums

WideClient and FSBuild

Hello:

I have the WideClient on my laptop as of today and need a little help...Please :-)

Ok, here is what I'm trying to do. I want to be able to open FSBuild and create flight plans and send them to FS. I have the WideClient on my laptop and the server on my desktop. I would like to be able to use FSBuild on my laptop. I read and re-read the manual but I'm still confused. Apparently I'm supposed to have a Run1= line or something but I tried setting it up but obviously it wasn't correct because the WideClient gave me an error saying it could not open/create the file.

There is a new file or something of the sort in the client folder that has FSBuild in the name...that part is new.

Anyway, in a nutshell, is what I'm trying to do possible, if so, please someone help me to configure or explain to me how to configure FS related files to be used.

Thanks for any and all help.

P.S. My WideClient window when its open on my laptop says "Connected" but the window is all gray, nothing more.

Thanks,

Fletcher

Ok, here is what I'm trying to do. I want to be able to open FSBuild and create flight plans and send them to FS. I have the WideClient on my laptop and the server on my desktop. I would like to be able to use FSBuild on my laptop.

I don't know FSBuild at all. Does it use the FSUIPC interface for its dealings with FS? If it is only a flight planner then I wouldn't have thought it would link to FS at all, merely placing its generated PLN files into the appropriate folder for FS to pick up via the standard FS options.

I read and re-read the manual but I'm still confused.

The FSBuild manual?

Apparently I'm supposed to have a Run1= line or something but I tried setting it up but obviously it wasn't correct because the WideClient gave me an error saying it could not open/create the file.

You don't have to have any parameters in WideClient.INI at all if you just want to run a program. Have you tried just starting FSBuild as you normally would? All the Run parameters do for you is start programs to save you doing it. Get FSBuild running manually first, worry about automating things if you want to later.

There is a new file or something of the sort in the client folder that has FSBuild in the name...that part is new.

I have no idea what that would be. Nothing of mine makes any such files. It sounds like you need to ask FSBuild support for help.

Anyway, in a nutshell, is what I'm trying to do possible, if so, please someone help me to configure or explain to me how to configure FS related files to be used.

What FS related files? Now you are confusing me. Exactly what ARE you trying to do? Is FSBuild written to interface to FS via FSUIPC? If so it should run via WideFS as well, but it may need access to folders on the FS PC too, which would have to be done by file-sharing, not by WideFS. I really do think you need to ask FSBuild support for help in the first instance.

P.S. My WideClient window when its open on my laptop says "Connected" but the window is all gray, nothing more.

That's correct. If it shows "connected" it is working. You can forget it and see about running your FS applications. WideClient will look like FS running FSUIPC to them.

Normally you'd minimise the WideClient window, or even hide it. You'd only want to see the window if you were using the recently added ButtonScreen facility, or if you were using an FS application which liked to attach itself to FS's Window -- the WideClient Window "pretends" to be FS for just that purpose. There aren't many programs which do that -- EFIS98 (for FS98) is the only one I can remember.

Regards,

Pete

After I read what you wrote, it all made sense to me. FSBuild would not have a link through FSUIPC, just transfers files through directory like you mentioned.

Duh...I don't know why I didn't think of it that way before. 8)

I appreciate your help and insight.

Fletcher