The simFlight Network Forums

How does MyTraffic run on your system?

cloudflyer

I'd like to hear from some users and their setups. I stopped using MyTraffic shortly after purchase. The long stutters made the sim unusable on my system. Even after many tweaks and adjustments (many hours) I cannot get rid of the stutter. My sim runs finewithout the AI with all options at max and ActiveSky with lots of weather. Setting all options at lowest setting still does not eliminate the stutter with MyTraffic running. Dell Dimension 3800 3.2 P4, 1gb ram, eVga GeForce 6800 Ultra running 71.89 drivers, AA and AF at max, 1600x1200 on a Dell 20" LCD.

Michael

Hello Cloudflyer

You say your system runs fine without AI, but does it really?

AI is very hardware hungry and will certainly demand its pound of flesh, but your system is no slouch either. Your hardware is perfectly capable of running Mytraffic 2004 with activesky at 1600 x 1200.

No disrespect intended, but I think the key to your problem lies in the phrase: "Even after many tweaks and adjustments (many hours)". Something must have gone wrong there.

To sort this out, however, is another matter entirely...

You have two choices:

1] Consult the avsim forums and wade through the thousands of posts (some of which are worth Gold and others are absolute nonsense). or

2] Use Micheal Greenblatt's service (I haven't personally used him, but I hear very good things about him). Go to http://www.fs-gs.com/

Don't give up on Mytraffic - it's one of the greatest add-ons around, and it is quite capable of working fine with your hardware.

Greetings

Dave Britzius

It looks like the problems on your system is poor I/O capabilities. I tested the MyTraffic2006 installler yesterday on 3 systems, in brackets the number of minutes it took.

Dell P2600 (50 minutes)

MSI A2200 IDE (12 minutes)

Atelco A3000/64 SATA (7 minutes)

ASUS A3200/64 W64 SATA (5 minutes)

All systems use disk drivers and setup etc as delivered or installed by default.

I've done my best to like MyTraffic, but it just won't happen.

With a P4 2.8 1gig of RAM and ATI 9600 PRO w/256mb, I figured I could get good frame rates. Not so. Without MyTraffic, I get upwards of 40-50fps. With MyTraffic, I just can't get above 20fps average.

I've done some tweaking using suggestions from other forums, but the support in this forum (as you can see) will simply place the blame on you or your system.

Before the flames start, let me say, I've got over 25 years experience testing software. I've tested just about anything and everything there is. I'm also a Windows and Flight Simulator beta tester. I build custom systems for people who want something unique, both in quality and performance. So I know my way around a PC.

But, this is my opinion, and I'm only one customer. Others may have different opinions/experiences.

On a 2.8GHz PIV, 20 fps with 100 traffic density would be a really good value. If you set your framerate delimiter to 18 than, you should have a smooth experience.

A little test you could do, when you have this 20 fps, press the PAUSE button - the framerate will go up since the tracking of the aircrafts stops - now you see how little the hundred or more aircraft models you see take- taking the first generation models of MT2002 would bring you down to 5-8.

The CPU need of the tracking just depends on the traffic density slider only, and with this you can easily adjust how much of your CPU power you are ready to admit to the AI traffic - 60% may be a good compromise.

The problem of cloudflyer seems to be different, in one of his statements he complained about stuttering coming from MyTraffic even with 10% AI traffic setting, and that is something I cannot reproduce - but would like to understand.

FS9 is programmed to stutter and show blurries if the framerate delimiter is above the minimal framerate you get - so at 100% AI density with a delimiter above 25 it must stutter at O'Hare.

As a possible cure to stuttering, please try to update your graphics drivers as often as possible.

CloudFlyer, I think the latest official Nvidia drivers are 81.95 and since you're running a 71 series driver, you might see a significant performance improvement by updating to the latest.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I just upgraded from My Traffic 2004 to 2006 on a Dell 2.4 GHz, 1 Gb RAM and ATI 9700 Pro 128 Mb card.

I shut down all unnecessary programs and services before running FS9. My FPS is locked at 22, my video settings are high, and traffic density at 55%.

Despite running som video hungry payware aircraft, I've had no problems with My Traffic 2006.

--WH

I have to admit that I started tweaking my installation after installing MT2006 and noticing the stutters. I seem to think this is more a FS2004 issue. There may be some undocumented settings that we need to adjust or set in fs9.cfg.

I have tried most all tip that I have found on these forums and still if I go into slew mode and just spin the plane 360 as the view passes past the AI planes, under certain conditions, there is a slight, but annoying stutter.

It seems to be like a caching thing, because it will do it only once in one direction, then not again. But then if I change to a different location and do the same thing, the stutter occurs once in that location, then not again.

It is very stange. I guess I just have to get used to it...

You should have had all of them, maybe I mistyped one or two, if you had many missing we do not speak about the same software, but the same symptoms, you refer to MyTraffic 2006?

Thanks for making the test, yes, I got the same that any reproducable stutters I can get are independent if I compile with 8.0 or 9.0 compiler.

It is the texture size that makes the problems to my current summary of research.

OK, than there are less. But it would be not honest to tell you to update to MT2006 to solve the stutter problem. In average, framerate is better with MT2006 and textures are higher resolution, so the stuttering should be more feelable. Good old times when we had worse frame rates, they were easier to fight and hided the stutters. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jscharpf

Sorry to hijack the thread but if I already have MYTRAFFIC2004 running well on my system, is it a safe conclusion to say upgrading to 2006 in and of itself shouldn't cause any problems or slower framerates?

Jeff