The simFlight Network Forums

How to modify Autopilot characteristics

Hi,

Could someone tell me more about how the autopilot is implemented in FS2004. How's the Automatic Control Unit simulated? Are real control element like PT-Elements, integrators, differentioators implemented or is it set to work like a fuzzy control or somthing similar? Is it possible to change the characteristics of the Autopilot in FS2004? Is it possible to put my own control circuit?

I have googeld around but didn't find anything around that topic.

Thank you,

Baker

Could someone tell me more about how the autopilot is implemented in FS2004. How's the Automatic Control Unit simulated? Are real control element like PT-Elements, integrators, differentioators implemented or is it set to work like a fuzzy control or somthing similar? Is it possible to change the characteristics of the Autopilot in FS2004? Is it possible to put my own control circuit?

Sorry, I don't even understand the terms you are using, let alone what sort of feedback control Microsoft built into FS. I don't know anyway of altering its behaviour other than by the way you define things in the AIRCRAFT.CFG file and AIR files.

FSUIPC offers an alternative way of implementing your own control. it provides all the data you need and the control. I even experimented with a bank and pitch control system based on feedback, which works quite well. I tried to extend it to speed control, but that isn't quite so good. All the details are in the FSUIPC SDK.

Regards,

Pete

Bank and pitch controls from Pete's autopilot feedback facility work great with a Collins FGS-3000 autopilot. If it works with the real thing, it will work with anything someone else can code in. Takes a bit of tweaking of the fiddle factor numbers, along with dampening out the stability of the flight model you plan to use for your autopilot to control.