The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC InitialButtons Question

Dear Pete,

please allow a question from a newbie, who is still confused after reading the advanced FSUIPC user guide thrice.

I am building a small cockpit, based on a Joywarrior chip, with some mechanical on-off switches.

I recognize that some FS2004 controls, e.g. TOGGLE_FUEL_VALVE_ENG1, are sometimes considered by FS2004 as "on", sometimes as "off", after starting FS, even when my switch, e.g. j2b4, is in the mechanical "off"-position - due to effects I do not know.

Thus, I tried to use FSUIPC to always enforce an "off" value when starting up FS. From reading the advanced user guide, I thought, an InitialButton command would do the job, however from looking in the manual I do not understand the concept of setting an defined initial value to a button connected to a TOGGLE-type control, as FSUIPC's InitialButton seems not to allow to define a 0 or 1 for "off" or "on".

So please, how do I set an initial "on" or "off" value to a toggle-type control like e.g. 66494 ?

P.S. Thanks for your great work and kind assistance, and happy Xmas.

Robert S., Berlin, Germany

I recognize that some FS2004 controls, e.g. TOGGLE_FUEL_VALVE_ENG1, are sometimes considered by FS2004 as "on", sometimes as "off", after starting FS, even when my switch, e.g. j2b4, is in the mechanical "off"-position - due to effects I do not know.

The switches in FS's cockpit will be set the way you saved them -- they are saved in the FLT file. All you need to do is to use all your switches to preset them the way you wish, then save a flight. When you reload that flight, they will be set that way. You now just have to be sure NOT to change your mechanical switches when FS isn't running.

So please, how do I set an initial "on" or "off" value to a toggle-type control like e.g. 66494 ?

The initial button facility is nothing to do with specific FS controls nor is it anything to do with being "on" or "off". It is merely a way of you telling FSUIPC to PRESS the nominated button at the beginning of the session. This is the same as YOU pressing the same button. It has to be a button you have programmed to do whatever it is you want to do.

So, if you don't want to program one of your own buttons to do this, you have to define it using a button number you don't have.

However, this still won't help you with a control such as 66494 "TOGGLE ..." because that will switch it on if it was off, but off if it was on -- the end result would STILL depend upon what state it was in FS when you loaded the flight. The only sane way to initialise cockpits is by using saved flights which have everything set as you want them. For example, I always start cold and dark, so ALL my saved flights have everything off. All I need to do is to make sure all my cockpit switches are off too, ready to start FS.

Regards,

Pete