The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC Write Protected Password

Dear Mr Schiratti

I have installed rcbco-20 within FS9. I extracted the compressed file into FS9 main folder. This package contains FSUIPC.dll V2.0. When I try to to run FS9 an error message comes up saying FSUIPC.dll can not be loaded. It's says the file is corrupt. I have downloaded FSUIPC V 3.53, installation instructions say to delete any previous FSUIPC contained in the Module folder within FS9. When I try to delete it, another error message saying Read only file comes up.

It appears that I need a password in orthe to delete or alter this file.

When I try to overwrite Rcbco-20 to attempt to restore the file a window pops up asking me for a FSUIPC pasword.

I've also tryed reading the forum, but there is no password available.

Any help on this matter would be appreciated.

Thank You

Best Regards

E. Romero

Dear Mr Schiratti

Mr. Schiratti doesn't frequent this Forum. Perhaps I can help.

I have installed rcbco-20 within FS9. I extracted the compressed file into FS9 main folder. This package contains FSUIPC.dll V2.0.

I haven't heard of "rcbco-20". What is it? It must be several years old, and intended for FS2002, not FS2004, because FSUIPC version 2 is that old and never worked with FS2004. Additionally, packages which include my FSUIPC should have applied for permission before doing so.

When I try to to run FS9 an error message comes up saying FSUIPC.dll can not be loaded. It's says the file is corrupt.

I'm not surprised.

I have downloaded FSUIPC V 3.53, installation instructions say to delete any previous FSUIPC contained in the Module folder within FS9. When I try to delete it, another error message saying Read only file comes up.

That really is a bad package you have got hold of, then. Nothing installed that way should ever be read-only.

It appears that I need a password in orthe to delete or alter this file.

That cannot be anything to do with FSUIPC as such. I've never used passwords. To delete a read-only file you just need to uncheck its read-only attribute in the Windows file properties (right-click on the file in Explorer and select Properties).

When I try to overwrite Rcbco-20 to attempt to restore the file a window pops up asking me for a FSUIPC pasword.

Again, there is no such thing that I know of. This is something to do with your "Rcbco-20" package. I can only suggest you try to contact the author. It isn't a virus or worm you've installed there, I hope? It doesn't sound very healthy.

Regards

Pete

rcbco-20 is a freware package of military related add-ons for FS. It includes a working carrier catapult.

To the original poster, there's a new version specifically for FS-2004. If the version you have includes FSUIPC 2.0 it must be really old, so I'd go ahead and upgrade. Googling rcbco-20 will find you links to it.

Richard

I am one of the authors of the package in question. It was released at the beginning of January 2005.

The version of FSUIPC included in the package is 3.44 and the documentation advises that the user can always obtain the current version at http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html

I have checked and none of the files in the archive are flagged as read-only. There is nothing in the archive which requires a password.

My e-mail address, and that of Rob Barendregt, the co-author, are both included in the documentation if the original poster requires any further assistance.

Doug Dawson

I am one of the authors of the package in question. It was released at the beginning of January 2005.

The version of FSUIPC included in the package is 3.44 and the documentation advises that the user can always obtain the current version at http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html

Hi Doug! In that case that FSUIPC is obviously legitimate, and this user's very old version of FSUIPC must have been installed by some other package, and marked read-only -- which would have prevented yours replacing it. That, or this gentleman is getting himself very confused somewhere.

My e-mail address, and that of Rob Barendregt, the co-author, are both included in the documentation if the original poster requires any further assistance.

Thanks!

Happy New Year by the way!

Pete

Hi Pete,

First of all, my best wishes for 2006 !!

As Doug said above, this RCBco-20.zip package is specifically for FS2004 and did contain FSUIPC V3.44 (not Read-only). So the original poster must have gotten his very old version somewhere else.

About the inclusion of FSUIPC in my freeware package(s):

It has become a habit of mine, when I release a package that requires FSUIPC, to include the (at that time) latest version of FSUIPC.dll, just for user convinience.

Of course with all credits to you, and an instruction for the user that they never should overwrite a never version they might have, and a statement where they can download the latest version if needed.

This "habit" comes from the FS2002 days (V2.**) a few years back, when I did ask your permission include FSUIPC in another freeware package I created (which you gave).

Now, if you want me to stop including FSUIPC, or ask your permission on a per-upload basis, of course I'll respect that.

Just let me know your position on that ....

Best regards, Rob Barendregt

It has become a habit of mine, when I release a package that requires FSUIPC, to include the (at that time) latest version of FSUIPC.dll, just for user convinience.

Of course with all credits to you, and an instruction for the user that they never should overwrite a never version they might have, and a statement where they can download the latest version if needed.

That's okay, that is my policy for inclusion in any case. My confusion arises only from the fact that it is the GAUGE(s) which are the recorded FSUIPC users, and of course I have an index of those. I just don't know the end packages they are used in! Duh!

Now, if you want me to stop including FSUIPC, or ask your permission on a per-upload basis, of course I'll respect that.

Just let me know your position on that ....

You are okay, please carry on. I was confused, is all, especially with the version 2 and password (?) reference. I suspect this user is misinterpreting something somewhere.

Happy New Year & Best regards,

Pete

You are okay, please carry on. I was confused, is all, especially with the version 2 and password (?) reference. I suspect this user is misinterpreting something somewhere.

Thanks Pete !

And Yes, as you are painfully aware yourself :lol: , there will always be users that succeed in not properly reading/executing usage/instalation instructions (or don't read them at all :cry: ).

Best regards, Rob