The simFlight Network Forums

Buttons problem

Hi Pete,

when i try to assign a function to my CH yoke trough the buttons section in FSUIPC i can't make it working correctly.

The function works only sometimes when i push the corrispondent button.

For exemple if i assign to a button a Project Magenta function or a simpler one (Parking brakes, Pause, ecc...), then function is called only after i push the button 5 or more times (10 or more sometimes) and then nothing for many times again.

I'm using the last FSUIPC version but the problem was also with older ones.

Thanks in advance

Fabrizio

For exemple if i assign to a button a Project Magenta function or a simpler one (Parking brakes, Pause, ecc...), then function is called only after i push the button 5 or more times (10 or more sometimes) and then nothing for many times again.

Have you got it repeating? Have you programmed it to do the same action on press and release (for a toggle obviously the second will cancel the first). Have you got conflicting actions programmed on the buttons some other way, such as through FS?

If you go to FSUIPC's Logging page you can enable button logging and see if the presses are actually all being seen by examining the Log.

Regards,

Pete

Hi Pete,

I'm continuing tryin with no success.

The problem only occurrs with buttons and not with keys.

I have Project Magenta MCP running in a second pc and i want to disable the autopilot with my yoke button. If i assign the PM function to a key in FSUIPC all works ok but if i assign it to a button (i have tried many) it works only sometimes.

In Windows Joystick Properties all the buttons react correctly so no hardware problem.

I'm getting crazy :-)

Fabrizio

Hi Pete,

I'm continuing tryin with no success.

I have to repeat my questions, then, as you seem to have missed them? I cannot possibly even hope to help if you don't give any information.

Have you got it repeating? Have you programmed it to do the same action on press and release (for a toggle obviously the second will cancel the first). Have you got conflicting actions programmed on the buttons some other way, such as through FS?

If you go to FSUIPC's Logging page you can enable button logging and see if the presses are actually all being seen by examining the Log.

Regards,

Pete

Hi Pete,

i didn't check repeating box, i assigned it only for press action, and the button is not assigned in any other Fsuipc or FS action (i also checked FS9.CFG and FSUIPC.INI to be sure).

I enabled buttons and keys log as you said, i pressed the button 10 times but the action was sent only for 2 times, i then checked the log and only the 2 working times were written (i sent the PM MCP HDG toggle but i also tried with other actions):

72688 Button changed: bRef=0, Joy=1, Btn=5, Pressed

72688 [buttons] 1=P1,5,C2025,0

72688 FSUIPC Control Action: Ctrl=2025, Param=0

72688 PM action: 5410 bits toggled: 0x02000000

73704 Button changed: bRef=0, Joy=1, Btn=5, Released

78657 Button changed: bRef=0, Joy=1, Btn=5, Pressed

78657 [buttons] 1=P1,5,C2025,0

78657 FSUIPC Control Action: Ctrl=2025, Param=0

78657 PM action: 5410 bits toggled: 0x02000000

81188 Button changed: bRef=0, Joy=1, Btn=5, Released

86157 System time = 13:14:17, FS2004 time = 13:13:10 (12:13Z)

86157 *** FSUIPC log file being closed

Memory managed: 4 Allocs, 253 Freed

********* FSUIPC Log file closed ****

If i assign the button to an FS action trough FS assignement window all is working correctly.

It looks like Fsuipc can't get all the button presses but only some and randomly.

I also tried to assign the same PM function to a key and it works correctly, but if i assign the button to press the key instead of the PM option, same problem occurrs.

Thanks in advance

Fabrizio

If i assign the button to an FS action trough FS assignement window all is working correctly.

It looks like Fsuipc can't get all the button presses but only some and randomly.

FS uses DirectInput, which is detecting these things very much more often and at a lower level, and FS gets notifications. FSUIPC uses the Windows Joystick API and has to poll. The default polling interval I set is 25 mSecs (or 40 times per second) which has always been fast enough even for very complex applications.

The interval is set by a "PollInterval" parameterint the main [buttons] section of FSUIPC.INI, but will be omitted if defaulted. Do you have a parameter like that there? If not try setting one with a lower interval -- it may help, it may not. Please read the details of this parameter in the FSUIPC Advanced Users guide.

What sort of frame rates is your FS running at? Try limiting them to, say, 20 or 25 or so to see if that helps. Maybe FSUIPC isn't getting much chance to do the joystick scanning.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

I let my frame rate stopped at 30 fps as it was before.

I set Pollinterval=10 in FSUIPC.ini and all it's now workink good.

Does letting this string interferes or make some other things wrongs?

If not i found the solution.

Thanks for all

Fabrizio

I let my frame rate stopped at 30 fps as it was before.

I set Pollinterval=10 in FSUIPC.ini and all it's now workink good.

Does letting this string interferes or make some other things wrongs?

If not i found the solution.

The only possible side effect of having FSUIPC poll buttons too frequently is lowering performance of FS -- so in the end it all depends on your system. So far Ii know of no problems with its default of 25 mSecs -- your button pressing must be so fast that it doesn't see them very often. It has to see both press and release, so the button press needs to be for 25 mSecs or more 910 mSecs or more now).

Regards,

Pete