The simFlight Network Forums

GPSout I can't have output from FS2004

hello there.

I don't see any application to make this work, I may missing something.

I'm using WinXP, with Ipaq 4600 & AnywhereMap,link via USB cradle.

What I did is extract GPSout, the files dll & ini, copied & paste into flight sim mudule folder, then run FS2004, and run Anywhere map, but can make work. The instruction came in the readme file may missing some steps? Is there any application more?

Thanks for your attention

What I did is extract GPSout, the files dll & ini, copied & paste into flight sim mudule folder, then run FS2004, and run Anywhere map, but can make work. The instruction came in the readme file may missing some steps? Is there any application more?

I have no idea how to make it work with an Ipaq. I have one and gave up.

GPSout is written to send data out on a COM port, following the NMEA 0183 specification exactly. If you have suitable hardware and software it works fine. Mainly this would be another PC running a PC moving map program.

I know some folks have made it work on some GPS devices, and maybe someone has it working on a PDA, but I suspect the latter is certainly very difficult. I think the "active sync" program, used to keep you PDA up to date etc, gets in the way, even if the USB connection can be made to look like an ordinary COM port. You probably have to delete/stop or even uninstall it.

Regards,

Pete

Hi. Yes I have read the read me file.

1rs At FS2004 is there any setup I have to do, turn on something?

2dn How do I know FS is sending data, and on which port is sending it. thats my first concern,

Then I can make my Ipaq PDA receive from the port FS is sending NMEA data, I have Pocket FMS and Anywhere on my PDA, both work fine with the bluetooh GPS. on COM8.

On readme file first line tell:

GPSout.ini and .dll should both go into the Flight Simulator Modules

folder.

Copy this files to the module folder is all I have to do on the PC running FS?

Thanks

Hi. Yes I have read the read me file.

1rs At FS2004 is there any setup I have to do, turn on something?

No, if GPSout is in the FS Modules folder, then it will be trying to send something.

2dn How do I know FS is sending data, and on which port is sending it. thats my first concern,

It will try to use the Port you specified in the GPSout.INI file -- please check the little bit of documentation provided. There are some things you need to set yourself. It cannot be automatic.

There's a freeware utility called PortMon from http://www.systeminternals.com which can show you what is going in and out of each port. you can use that to prove to yourself that data is being sent.

On readme file first line tell:

GPSout.ini and .dll should both go into the Flight Simulator Modules

folder.

Copy this files to the module folder is all I have to do on the PC running FS?

Yes, then edit the INI file to set your requirements.

Regards,

Pete

• 1 year later...
hello there.

Thanks for your attention

Do yourself a favor and buy a bluetooth USB receiver than have GPSout output its data to the bluetooth port. Then on your Ipaq, connect to the receiver and make sure to specifi the port you want to connect to (the software will ask you for this). From what I can understand, the USB function doesn't work with Activesync 4.5 so you need to connect it wirelessly.