The simFlight Network Forums

Aileron - Rudder/Gear control switching

Hi,

I have a CH Flight Sim Yoke. It controls aileron and elevator, but not rudder. I use autorudder to make coordinated turns. I know I need a pedal, but I do not have it at the moment. I miss the rudder in two situations:

1/ Cross-wind landing

OK, let's by a pedal if really bothers.

2/ Nose-wheel steering on ground

While taxiing on ground I do not realy need the aileron, but I definitely need the rudder, especially as it controls the nose-wheel as well. In fact during take-off run it is rather dangerous that I keep the aircraft on the center line using the ailerons. When the nose gear is already in the air I could bank the aircraft dangerously. This is especially disturbing during cross-wind take-offs.

It would be very good to have an option that allows me to automatically switch the yoke "turn" axis between aileron and rudder control based on the "On the ground" (all three gears) flag.

Would it be possible to implement in later releases of FSUIPC as a switch box selection?

On the other hand is it possible to program it using the FS SDK (I know it is not a question to here)?

Gabor

It would be very good to have an option that allows me to automatically switch the yoke "turn" axis between aileron and rudder control based on the "On the ground" (all three gears) flag.

Actually, the three gear indications show the state of the gear, not whether ity is touching the ground. There's only one flag for "on ground" and I think that is set till there's no part of the aircraft touching -- but I'm not sure even of that.

If I implemented such an option you would certainly never want to take off in a light aircraft in any amount of crosswind at all, because you always need to compensate for crosswind with aileron on the take off roll. Worse, if I suddenly switched from rudder to aileron just when the "on ground" flag cleared, it could make you very unstable at exactly the worst time!

Conversely, with a 'heavy' aircraft there's no reason really why you should not use your aileron control also for steering, especially on the take-off roll where the amount of "aileron" needed to steering should be negligible.

Would it be possible to implement in later releases of FSUIPC as a switch box selection?

I'd be rather reluctant, if only for the reasons stated above. Please think it through very thoroughly -- I am open to persuasion, but you must realise that FS flyers have been managing quite well with FS's "auto-rudder" for steering for many many years now. ;-)

If I do (eventually) agree then it would just be an item on a list -- if easy it may fit in sooner, but otherwise it would need more than one request to bring it to the top!

Regards,

Pete