The simFlight Network Forums

A compliment and two questions

WarHorse47

First, a compliment.

My Traffic 2006 is working great for me. I started with MT 2004 and went through several upgrades, and recently upgraded to 2006 and am quite happy with my purchase. I took a morning flight around Mt. Rainier to see the sun rise and I couldn't believe all the air traffic. And I think I stated in another post that I am quite pleased to see some additional airbases with traffic. Lots of fun going into Whidbey Island NAS.

Now the questions.

Since I do a lot of flights in and out of military bases, I noticed that a couple aircraft such as the F-16 and F-15 have incorrect contact points. In other words the wheel are buried in the tarmac. Does anyone have the correction for this? Or do I need to experiment?

Final question.

Now that there have been some recent Soviet military payware aircraft released, I'd like to depart from some Russian military air bases. Problem is, I don't know which ones are military. Any suggestions? Any bases that have Su-27 or Mig-29 AI?

--WH

Hi,

I am glad you are enjoying MyTraffic!

Regarding the contact points, it hasn't been reported before so there isn't any fix yet. We'll take a look at it and see what can be done.

Regarding Russian military aircraft, there are only Mig trainers included in MyTraffic at the moment. Future releases might see more fighters of the Soviet variety but as of now, you'll have to add traffic manually using Migs/Sukhois from your own aircraft library in order to see those airbases filled with traffic.

Several answers to several questions.

FS9 does not contain any of the military airfields from Russia, only those used mixed civil/ military (cargo mostly).

I was planning on Mil AI extending to Russia and bumped on that problem, that we have to do the airports from scratch first. I have an idea how to do it, but it would require some weeks or a few months to do, and I unfortunately have two hands only, and 24 hours a day only :cry:

If you would like to contibute some, contact me with a PM and I can tell you how I would do it.

On the F16, I cannot verify, see attached image. When you start, is the Sim in paused or in running state? This makes a severe difference for me on many airports of up to 1 m.

On the F16, I cannot verify, see attached image. When you start, is the Sim in paused or in running state? This makes a severe difference for me on many airports of up to 1 m.

In answer to your question, the sim is in running state - not paused.

During a flight yesterday, I made an observation regarding an F-15 which has a similar problem. The sim was running. I had just taxied to a parking area, adjacent to a MT F-15. The wheels were buried as shown with the F-16 pic. While I completed my taxi, the F-15 started to taxi from the parking area to the taxiway and runway for takeoff. When it "became active" the lights were on, and the wheels were no longer hidden below the tarmac. My conclusion was that the contact points are only an issue when the aircraft is in static mode or fully parked.

Again, I've only seen this situation with the F15 and F16 models from MT. I should also add that this problem existed with MT 2004, and is still present with MT 2006.

--WH

Here are some shots on the F-15 contact points..

Notice the F-15 in the background...

Image5.jpg

Now, here's a shot after the F-15 is backing away from the parking area. Notice that you can now see the main tires, but only part of the front tire.

Image6.jpg

Anyways, it would be helpful if someone has a fix for the F-16 and F-15 contact points.

Thanks

--WH

The F16 I had shown to you was in a parked position, and when we lift the contact points by the foot that seems to be missing, there will be an equal number of complaints about aircrafts floating above tarmac.

The problem I think this is due to is a design bug in FS9. Airport altitude is defined at two places, in the XML airport header and in the VTP-polygon altitude field. A good number of airports has no VTP altitudes, than it looks like the mesh altitude is used. Still others have been found to have several VTP polygons, and sometimes not all of them have altitudes, adding an unproper realization to a design bug...

While VTP altitude most of the times is in fractional m, based on integer feet, the XML altitude is in integer m most of the times, so many airports do have different informations here. So if you adjust the contact points ( which are used when the model is moving ) and the GMAX model (which is used disregarding the contact points in slew mode as example) to fit on one airport, this does not work out on another airport - we went through this game oftenly and what we have now is a somehow status of optimization.

What makes me (but not really knowing that FS9 scenery never had any beta testing ) wonder is that there are airports which behave so differently depending on not known reasons - on McChord I have the F16s properly set and you haven't. Changing the contact points cannot help, because these are used for the moving too, and you do not want that to float.

As I don't use MyTraffic, but I do use another AI package, I can't comment of why some MyTraffic aircraft look like there sinking. However, I had the same problem and I found a little free program that might help with this.

What this program does is raise or lower the ground for any and all airports of your choice. Just a word of warning though, BEFORE you change the numbers, make sure you write down the original numbers first.

The program is called jabbgl_134445.zip and can be found at Avsim.

Hope this helps at all.

Rich

Interesting. I'm learning something new here.

The airports in the pics are McChord for the F-16 and Whidbey Island for the F-15. As you might notice, the other AI planes are okay. It's the F-15 and F-16 that are the most noticable.

Sooo.... If I edit the height of the airport with the utility mentioned, how does that affect the other aircraft? In other words, if I correct it for the F-15 or F-16, does it mean the A-6 will now float above the tarmac?

--WH

Your McChord behaves different than mine - if I could reproduce your effect I would try to cure, but on my computer it is perfect - I went through several airports and all F16 stand on their wheels.

Hmmm. Not sure what to look for. My scenery is all stock except for some aircraft carriers and a couple airports that came with some payware aircraft.

--WH

When you have a situation that you see some sunk aircraft, please save the flights, zip them and send them to support@fsrail.com. Than I can compare more directly what happens, looking at the three MT installations that I have available.

( But maybe you better check some of the Russian fields first, sometimes it happens in FS9 that one gets too concentrated on some subminor issue on the limits of what a game can do - you can spend your life in finding and removing bugs in the 25000++ files FS9 has stock, and the 12000++ files MT2006 adds do correct many of those I found, but also will add new ones )

When you have a situation that you see some sunk aircraft, please save the flights, zip them and send them to support@fsrail.com. Than I can compare more directly what happens, looking at the three MT installations that I have available.

Before I go to those extents, I'm going to do a few experiments.

Since the issue is only with two aircraft models and at two airports (so far as I can tell), I'd like to do some testing with various texture or mesh adjustments first. I've lowered my global textures with some positive results, and am still looking at other possible causes since I still have default scenery.

--WH