The simFlight Network Forums

Freeware European Alps mesh files released!

Hi all,

I just uploaded two packages to the Avsim library, alpse_fe.zip and alpsw_fe.zip, that together cover most of the European Alps. They should be available later today and I'm also planning on uploading to simviation and flightsim.

Just like the Himalayas files I preview in the "Guess the place" thread these files were compiled from Jonathan de Ferranti's wonderful elevation models: http://www.viewfinderpanoramas.org/

Below are a few preview screenshots. If you're interested in how the new files hold up to existing freeware and payware packages then check out the dozen or so comparison series at this link (please have a look at the read-me file to understand what packages I'm comparing): http://holger.fs-shipyards.net/images/mpean_Alps/

Note that users of Austria Professional or Switzerland Professional already have an equivalent or better terrain mesh fo the respective coverage areas.

Enjoy your flights across the Alps - Himalayas coming up next!

Cheers, Holger

post-7750-128689327769_thumb.jpg

post-7750-128689327783_thumb.jpg

post-7750-128689327798_thumb.jpg

post-7750-128689327814_thumb.jpg

post-7750-128689327828_thumb.jpg

Once again Holger, another reason to hail you as FS Personnality of the Year.

Did you need to do this? NO.

Could you have charged for it? PROBABLY

Will you offer after install support? I AM SURE

That's an extra beer for you whenever you come in my part of Canada.

Hi Hartley,

thanks for the screenshot. Indeed, the unfortunate spike has been noticed by a couple of people already, and they are calling it "Salzbug", "Freedom Tower", or "a 3D of Salzburg's tv tower" :wink:

I'm working on a small patch file to fix that issue and JohnCi has kindly posted a temporary work-around at Avsim: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=1638&page=

Thank-you, all, for your kind feedback. Jonathan and I are very surprised about the huge number of downloads at Avsim (uploading to simviation and FlightSim is in progress) and delighted about the positive response.

Cheers, Holger

Hi all,

attached below is the patch for the spike near Salzburg. Thanks to Jonathan for quickly updating the source data!

To install, unzip directly into "mesh Alps LOD10 by Ferranti & Sandmann\scenery".

I'll eventually upload the patch to the usual sites but want to wait a few days in case other issues come up.

Cheers, Holger

Hi Bert,

sorry but that's the first time I've heard of this problem. It's odd that it wouldn't work for you at either site. Maybe the first download attempt didn't get completely removed so the following attempts end up being corrupted too?

Maybe try this: give the zip another name when starting the download.

Good luck!

Cheers, Holger

let me add my thanks, holger for this wonderful piece of work .....believe it or not i had a problem installing this, because both folder for alpse-fe and alpsw-fe had the same title, so one wanted to overrite the other when dropping them into the addon scenery folder..so i then combing all files from the scenery folders into one and added that... :oops: which seams to have worked except i cant get the matterhorn to look like the picture in the files?....so i deleted the install, and tried again , this time i added the alpse and alpsw folders seperatly in the scenery library , but still the materrhorn is always covered in snow..i,ve tried all summer monthes but no change...could my swiss 2004 scenery addon be blocking your textures from showing up???.....what do ya think WeDGe

Hi WeDGe,

sorry, two things that are confusing you are:

1. The two Alps packages deliberately have the same folder name. However the folder contents are different so nothing gets overwritten when you click "Yes to all" in the "Confirm Folder Replace" pop-up window. Probably should have mentioned that in the read-me.

2. The two Alps packages are mesh files only; no textures, no roads or water bodies, "just" the elevation data for the sim. Since I'm using a combination of freeware landclass files for the Alps - the kind of files that determine the distribution of ground textures - it's possible that your Matterhorn and other areas look different from what I see.

I've posted the list of landclass files I'm using here: http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.p202#300202

Cheers, Holger

• 10 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. Guidelines Privacy Policy We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.