The simFlight Network Forums

PFC.dll - Saving individual config options

Pete,

Now that I am enjoying using my 2-engine jet throttle quad to fly different aircraft, I noticed that the flight control response is not being saved individiually for each config. I am using the 2-engine config to fly the LDS 767. I have the flight controls tailored with some expo in both aileron and elevator.

For the PMDG 747, I use Config 2 and no expo on aileron and 1 click on elevator.

Each time I fly, pfc.dll properly selects the correct config, but I have to manually reset the expo each time I change a/c.

Please consider saving the flight control response settings when a config is saved for a specific aircraft.

Thanks.

-michael

I have the flight controls tailored with some expo in both aileron and elevator.

For the PMDG 747, I use Config 2 and no expo on aileron and 1 click on elevator.

Each time I fly, pfc.dll properly selects the correct config, but I have to manually reset the expo each time I change a/c.

What is "expo" please?

Please consider saving the flight control response settings when a config is saved for a specific aircraft.

As far as I know I am saving everything you set in the dialogues? What is this "expo"? I have nothing called that. Maybe that's the problem, you want something not yet implemented?

Can you also tell me what version of PFC.DLL you are using? It maybe something already fixed. If not the latest, available above, perhaps you could try that first, please (1.993).

Regards,

Pete

What is "expo" please?

Hello Pete,

Expo := exponential. I'm not sure what term you use to describe the non-linear response for flight control axis, but they look to me like the application of an exponential mathematical function that translates linear h/w axis movement into non-linear actual control response.

The use of the abbreviated term 'expo' is a habit from my Radio Control flying days - we would apply an exponential function to "soften" control response around neutral for more precise control of the aircraft in hi-speed flight.

Can you also tell me what version of PFC.DLL you are using? It maybe something already fixed. If not the latest, available above, perhaps you could try that first, please (1.993).

I am using 1.993. Let me double-check tonight, perhaps I made additional changes to the response curves *after* assigning the TQ configuration to specific aircraft.

I'll get back to you.

Thanks.

-michael

Expo := exponential. I'm not sure what term you use to describe the non-linear response for flight control axis, but they look to me like the application of an exponential mathematical function that translates linear h/w axis movement into non-linear actual control response.

Well, actually they are simply quadratic or cubic calcluations. Easier (quicker) to compute and just as effective for the sorts of numbers we deal with here. They are actually pre-computed and tabulated for fast lookup and application.

They are simply referred to as "response curves" in the PFC driver, "slopes" in FSUIPC. I would never have recognised them by the name "expo" I'm afraid. ;-)

I am using 1.993. Let me double-check tonight, perhaps I made additional changes to the response curves *after* assigning the TQ configuration to specific aircraft.

I'll get back to you.

Okay. The response curve number is saved in the INI file. It's part of the first number in lines like:

Elevator=341,1,0,16,56,68,116,255

Rudder=357,2,0,28,49,60,97,255

Here I can see Elevator is using curve #5 and Rudder #6. It's in bits 4-7.

Regards,

Pete

Okay. The response curve number is saved in the INI file. It's part of the first number in lines like:

Elevator=341,1,0,16,56,68,116,255

Rudder=357,2,0,28,49,60,97,255

Here I can see Elevator is using curve #5 and Rudder #6. It's in bits 4-7.

Pete

Pete,

Ok, I see that under the pfc.ini section [FlightControls], a single response curve is saved and therefore applies regardless of the aircraft selected.

I would like to configure different response curves specific to "Jet 2-engined" and "User Config 2" that I have assigned to LDS 767 and PMDG 747 respectively. Its a nuisance to have to reset the curve each time a/c are changed. If you could put it in at some point it would be appreciated. :)

Thanks.

-michael

Ok, I see that under the pfc.ini section [FlightControls], a single response curve is saved and therefore applies regardless of the aircraft selected.

Only the throttle quadrant is expected to change according to aircraft type. The main flight controls are not aircraft-specific!

I would like to configure different response curves specific to "Jet 2-engined" and "User Config 2" that I have assigned to LDS 767 and PMDG 747 respectively.

But there are no response curves for throttle quadrant axes, only the main flight controls!

Regards

Pete

Only the throttle quadrant is expected to change according to aircraft type. The main flight controls are not aircraft-specific!

Pete,

That is the change I am requesting. If one can assign a throttle quadrant config to a specific aircraft, why not also save the flight control response curve that has been set for that aircraft?

-michael

That is the change I am requesting.

I'm sorry, but that is really not at all a likely addition for PFC.DLL. I really cannot understand why you'd need it. To me it would seem to be more appropriate to adjust the control effectiveness parameters in the Aircraft.CFG file. The "feel" of your controls should be set to suit the controls, surely?

If one can assign a throttle quadrant config to a specific aircraft, why not also save the flight control response curve that has been set for that aircraft?

Because the throttle quadrants are exchangable, the levers are different on each. When PFC bring out a console with similarly exchangeable yoke and pedals I would have to extend the driver to support those too.

I will make a note of your request, certainly, but it has been the only one in the many years I've provided PFC.DLL. It is far from a simple software change.

Actually, thinking about it, it might be better to make PFC.DLL route the axes through to FSUIPC and let you assign them and configure them there (see the Interim release details for FSUIPC 3.536). I already do this for more advanced button programming -- I'd rather all the similar additional user facilities in my products be grouped in one place. I'll look at it that way -- keep an eye on future FSUIPC releases.

Pete

Actually, thinking about it, it might be better to make PFC.DLL route the axes through to FSUIPC and let you assign them and configure them there (see the Interim release details for FSUIPC 3.536). I already do this for more advanced button programming -- I'd rather all the similar additional user facilities in my products be grouped in one place. I'll look at it that way -- keep an eye on future FSUIPC releases.

Pete

Yes, I agree that having such user facilities centralized is the best way to go.

Thanks.

-michael

Yes, I agree that having such user facilities centralized is the best way to go.

Okaytry PFC 1.994 and FSUIPC 3.537, both now available above.

Be aware that if you assign PFC axes in FSUIPC you need to disable those same ones in the PFC options (uncheck the enabling checkbox for each). The FSUIPC assignments do not override thse in PFC, unlike the Button assignments.

Regards,

Pete

Okaytry PFC 1.994 and FSUIPC 3.537, both now available above.

Be aware that if you assign PFC axes in FSUIPC you need to disable those same ones in the PFC options (uncheck the enabling checkbox for each). The FSUIPC assignments do not override thse in PFC, unlike the Button assignments.

Regards,

Pete

Wow! I was did not think you were going to tend to this so soon. I will give it a try either tonight or tomorrow night and will report back.

Thanks.

-michael

Wow! I was did not think you were going to tend to this so soon.

Well, I wouldn't normally, but I had a look and it was pretty easy, as PFC already placed the raw axis inputs into FSUIPC's memory (offsets 3BA8 ff, as documented in the PFC DLL doc). All I had to do was make FSUIPC's axis scan include those locations as "extra joysticks" (16 for flight controls, 17 for quadrant, 18 for trims and tiller), and make sure PFC.DLL continued to scan the axes when FSUIPC needed them in its dialogues.

Regards

Pete