The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC with WideFS: "Pvt Transmit On (sb3)"

Hello,

I recently purchased / registere FSUIPC and fsWide. I was able to correctly set up my CH Yoke for "Ptt Transmit On (sb3,rw,avc)."

I've not been able to get Pvt Transmit On (sb3) to function though. Is there something special I need to do for this feature (e.g., setting a parameter value in FSUIPC or choosing instead a keypress)? I've tried messing around with the "ActionKeys=Yes" command in the [user] section of wideClient.ini, to no avail. I've included this document below for reference.

Thanks much,

Ryan Scott

[Config]
Port=8002
Window=55,614,576,355
Visible=Yes
ButtonScanInterval=20
ClassInstance=0
NetworkTiming=5,1
PollInterval=2000
ResponseTime=18
ApplicationDelay=0
TCPcoalesce=No
UseTCPIP=Yes
WaitForNewData=500
MaxSendQ=100
OnMaxSendQ=Log
NewSendScanTime=50
Priority=3,1,2
ServerIPAddr=192.168.1.65

; -----------------------------------------------
[User]
Log=Errors+
Run1=C:\Program Files\SquawkBox3\squawkbox.exe
ActionKeys=Yes

I recently purchased / registere FSUIPC and fsWide. I was able to correctly set up my CH Yoke for "Ptt Transmit On (sb3,rw,avc)."

I've not been able to get Pvt Transmit On (sb3) to function though. Is there something special I need to do for this feature (e.g., setting a parameter value in FSUIPC or choosing instead a keypress)?

It was only added in a recent SB3 update. Sounds like you have an older version. To implement it via FSUIPC / WideFS it is exactly as for the PTT one. You do need the recent versions of FSUIPC and WideFS though, of course.

If you are using the correct version of SB3 then I'm afraid you need to refer to their support.

Pete

I've not been able to get Pvt Transmit On (sb3) to function though. Is there something special I need to do for this feature (e.g., setting a parameter value in FSUIPC or choosing instead a keypress)?

It was only added in a recent SB3 update. Sounds like you have an older version. To implement it via FSUIPC / WideFS it is exactly as for the PTT one. You do need the recent versions of FSUIPC and WideFS though, of course.

If you are using the correct version of SB3 then I'm afraid you need to refer to their support.

Pete

Thanks for your quick reply.

Unfortunately, I do have the very latest versions of all involved software. I'm not alone in my issue-- I'm setting up my system up concurrently with another individual; we are both experiencing the same successes and problems. If I find a solution, I'll post it here. If there are other ideas to consider, please let me know.

Thanks again,

Ryan Scott

Unfortunately, I do have the very latest versions of all involved software. I'm not alone in my issue-- I'm setting up my system up concurrently with another individual; we are both experiencing the same successes and problems. If I find a solution, I'll post it here. If there are other ideas to consider, please let me know.

In FSUIPC/WideFS the implementation of the PVT transmit on/off is IDENTICAL to the implementation of the original PTT except for the same of the specific registered message used. I merely support the message which the author of Squawkbox said he was implementing.

I am not a Squawkbox user, I don't have it and wouldn't know what to do with it if I did. So I presume the facility has been implemented correctly in SB and tested by now. But no one has ever let me know one way or the other. Sorry. Your first stop syhould be with SB support to check this.

Regards,

Pete

After reading some SB3 forums, my impression is that it was not implemented correctly in SB3. I've tried a bunch of trial-and-error methods, but I'm not familiar enough with the syntax to find success.

I've been reading the FSUIPC documentation to find a different route, but I'm still confused. To be clear: I'm trying to send a keystroke from FSUIPC to a program connected via WideFS (in this case, SB3). If I want to send the keycommand "Press NumLock" when I press a button on my CH Yoke, how do I do it? (I'm assuming I have to edit the wideclient.ini file.) Likewise, how would I send the "Release NumLock" command upon releasing the button on my CH Yoke?

In this instance, how do I set up FSUIPC for these buttons? Do I "Select for Key Press" or "Select for FS Control"?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

- Ryan Scott

After reading some SB3 forums, my impression is that it was not implemented correctly in SB3.

Oh dear. What a shame. I'll write to Joel about it -- seems odd, it isn't a difficult thing, he already did something very similar for the normal PTT to match the original Roger Wilco methods.

I've been reading the FSUIPC documentation to find a different route, but I'm still confused. To be clear: I'm trying to send a keystroke from FSUIPC to a program connected via WideFS (in this case, SB3).

You can't do that. FSUIPC offers no facilities to send keystrokes directly over a Network, only to FS! As documented in the WideFS document, you must program your button to do a KeySend control in FSUIPC, then match the KeySend numbers against the keystrokes you need to do in WideClient.INI.

Please refer to the WideFS documentation. It isn't so easy because different programs need different ways of getting Keystrokes into them. I wouldn't know what works for SB3, you'll have to experiment. WideFS offers several ways.

This is why I added the VERY EASY automatic PTT and PVT controls which involve no messing in INI files at all. It would be FAR better to get the PVT facility working as it was intended. if no one has reported this to the SB3 folks then it won't get fixed!

Regards,

Pete

I've been reading the FSUIPC documentation to find a different route, but I'm still confused. To be clear: I'm trying to send a keystroke from FSUIPC to a program connected via WideFS (in this case, SB3).

You can't do that. FSUIPC offers no facilities to send keystrokes directly over a Network, only to FS! As documented in the WideFS document, you must program your button to do a KeySend control in FSUIPC, then match the KeySend numbers against the keystrokes you need to do in WideClient.INI.

You've been very responsive, and I must add my thanks for that.

I found on the SB site a page indicating bugs, including bugs fixed that are awaiting release. It's in this latter section that they mention PVT controls:

http://squawkbox.ca/bugs/

I'm sorry that I'm still confused. I've been staring at your reply, trying to make sense of it and apply it to my situation. If I set up FSUIPC to send a keystroke, it does so on the computer running FS. I'd simply like to send that keystroke to WideFS. Am I right to interpret your post to mean it cannot do this? Ingoring programs running on the client, I'd just like the client computer to interpret a CH Yoke button press as, say, pressing the "F2" key on the client machine. I'm not a programmer, so this syntax is confusing my weak mind.

If I'm being too much of a pest here, please accept my apologies and feel free to ignore me. Perhaps I'll just wait for the bug to be fixed in SB3.

Thanks again,

Ryan Scott

I found on the SB site a page indicating bugs, including bugs fixed that are awaiting release. It's in this latter section that they mention PVT controls

I've had an exchange with the SB3 author, and he points out that the bug you refer to as already listed is not relevant to this problem. He also says that as far as he is aware the feature is implemented as I understood it, and was tested. However, he or I will try to test it again within the next few days. Nether of us are in a position to do so yet.

It may help if you provide all the details to the support team and get it listed as a potential bug.

I'm sorry that I'm still confused. I've been staring at your reply, trying to make sense of it and apply it to my situation. If I set up FSUIPC to send a keystroke, it does so on the computer running FS.

Yes, there are facilities in FSUIPC for sending keystrokes to FS, or rather to the PC in which FSUIPC is running in, which normally amounts to the same thing -- as the program with current focus is the one normally receiving keystrokes. Other programs only manage to by "capturing" them as hot keys.

I'd simply like to send that keystroke to WideFS. Am I right to interpret your post to mean it cannot do this?

Yes, FSUIPC has never transmitted keystrokes to clients. WideFS simply does not support such a feature, mainly because it is impossible in the keystroke mechanism to direct such events. You forget that there are many systems with multiple PCs in the Network.

Instead, FSUIPC and WideFS support a MUCH more powerful and flexible system called "KeySend" which sends an event, called KeySend, with an event number (1-255). You can program FSUIPC to send any of 255 events, either in the Keys or Buttons section. These events go to all Clients.

Then, in the WideClient in which you want the event to actually do something, you tell it the event number (1-255) and what you want it to do. this is normally a keystroke, which can then be delivered either to the PC, as in FSUIPC's case, or directly to a specific program's window.

This is all described in the WideFS documentation. Did you look?

Ingoring programs running on the client, I'd just like the client computer to interpret a CH Yoke button press as, say, pressing the "F2" key on the client machine.

Yes, you can do that in the way I just mentioned.

I'm not a programmer, so this syntax is confusing my weak mind.

What syntax? From what you say you''ve not even actually looked up the KeySend stuff as I suggested yet. How can you know that your "weak mind" is so weak as not to be able to understand any of it? I don't mind asking specific questions, but you please make an effort, if you want to achieve anything.

Regards,

Pete

What syntax? From what you say you''ve not even actually looked up the KeySend stuff as I suggested yet. How can you know that your "weak mind" is so weak as not to be able to understand any of it? I don't mind asking specific questions, but you please make an effort, if you want to achieve anything.

I've looked at the documentation for hours, especially concerning KeySend issues (even before asking for assistance) -- and I have spent many more hours in troubleshooting this single problem. Do not question my efforts: you have no way of knowing just how much time I have spent on this single great frustration. Please try to remove any emotional reponses you may have in your posts; it only serves to cloud the issue. I realize you have built a powerful tool, and I'm trying to learn it.

You describe the mechanisms by which I am to have clients respond to the keysend, but an example would be most helpful. I've seen this example in another forum, but I am having trouble understanding (1) what the number following the comma means [though I have a vague interpretation, this is where the documentation begins to lose me] or (2) how to set up FSUIPC to "send key number 123 (F12)," for example:

KeySend1=123,16 ; Press F12

KeySend2=123,24 ; Release F12

Thank You,

Ryan Scott

[

I've seen this example in another forum, but I am having trouble understanding (1) what the number following the comma means [though I have a vague interpretation, this is where the documentation begins to lose me]

KeySend1=123,16 ; Press F12

KeySend2=123,24 ; Release F12

Look at this (from the wideFS document):

8 key on its own

9 Shift +

10 Control +

11 Shift + Control +

12 Alt +

13 Shift + Alt +

14 Control + Alt +

15 Shift + Control + Alt +

Note that all these values operate the keystroke momentarily: i.e. they do a “key down” followed by a “key up”. If you want one KeySend event to press a key and a separate KeySend event to release it, then you will need to alter the shift state above as follows:

Shift state + 8 to Press the key

Shift state + 16 to Release the key

So, 16 = 8 + 8, so this is "key on its own", and "press the key".

24 = 8 + 16, so it is "key on its own", and "release the key".

There. What is hard about that? Please tell me, because I've never had to explain it at this level at all in the 8 years of WideFS! Evidently my English isn't as good as I thought and maybe I've just been lucky all these years? Help me improve the documentation!

or (2) how to set up FSUIPC to "send key number 123 (F12)," for example:

Oh dear. I'm sorry, but it is very hard for me not to lose a little patience now. As I've said twice before, you just don't! FSUIPC has no facility to send keystrokes to clients. You evidently entirely missed this part of the WideFS document:

KeySend: Clients can receive requests from the Server. The requests are simply encoded by a reference number, in the range 1 to 255 inclusive. In the Server PC you use FSUIPC to program these requests. They can be assigned in the Buttons and/or Keys option pages in FSUIPC. Just find the added FS control called “KeySend” in the drop-down lists. The KeySend reference (1–255) is entered as a parameter.

You simply program your button to send the KeySend control (it is in the list of controls you can assign -- please go and look!). The parameter for the Keysend control is the number N in the "KeysendN=..." in the WideClient INI parameters you've just quotes examples of.

If this is still beyond you, I really do suggest you wait until Joel has looked at the SB3 PVT system. I don't think I can possibly explain this at any lower level than this. I'm very sorry.

Regards,

Pete

Your complete lack of courtesy is unfortunate. I am a paying user, and I have worked long and hard to comprehend your stilted application. To be rebuffed in such a way has made it impossible for me to recommend your products to others.

I'm an interface designer by trade. This interface is, at best, lacking; the fact that one is forced into gargantuan, verbose documentation says it all. Do not attempt to improve the documentation -- vie to improve your interface and the documentation will become almost unnecessary.

The one compliment I must pay you is your responsiveness. If your quickness to respond means doing so in the heat of your frustration, however, I suggest providing slower, less vehement responses down the road.

With hope for the future,

Ryan Scott

Your complete lack of courtesy is unfortunate. I am a paying user, and I have worked long and hard to comprehend your stilted application. To be rebuffed in such a way has made it impossible for me to recommend your products to others.

I am sorry you feel this way. I really don't see how you bring "courtesy" into it. I have tried extremely hard, to the point of answering specific questions with specific answers, and trying to understand what it is you cannot fathom. But you should appreciate that trying to deal with someone who doesn't appear to actually read things and doesn't follow simple advice is not only unfortunate but it is very very unproductive.

This will probably come across now as a "rebuff" but I honestly cannot see how you can possibly say that any of my previous efforts on your behalf were. There's only so much one can do with some folks, and I have tried all I can.

I'm an interface designer by trade. This interface is, at best, lacking; the fact that one is forced into gargantuan, verbose documentation says it all. Do not attempt to improve the documentation -- vie to improve your interface and the documentation will become almost unnecessary.

Gargantuan? Verbose? Most folks complain I don't explain enough. I don't like doing dsocumentation as it is, maybe I shouldn't bother in future? I know most don't read any of it in any case.

And I am not sure what you actually mean by the "interface", but if you mean the easy-to-use FSUIPC options one, to assign controls, I assure you that is used a lot by many without any trouble. I did tell you exactly which control it was, even if you had missed the sections about it in the WideFS dcumentation.

As for WideFs, well, there is no "interface" which normally concerns most folks. It is primarily an extension of the FSUIPC interface for applications. that is what you get. the extras, being able to actually do "KeySend" stuff and have remote buttons and so on are all additional frills requested by and used by cockpit builders who are relatively knowledgeable both about aircraft and technical things. I know this from experience in this field over many years. But it is not what it is provided for, nor indeed sold as. And you did have all the opportunities you needed to read the documentation and ask questions even before parting with any cash.

I hope SB3 gets the original problem fixed as for PTT, then you will be able to continue. Otherwise I wish you a fond farewell.

Regards

Pete

For you users looking for the answer:

I have tried that also but never get it to work, yesterday i tried to assign it again and i used "Select for FS Control" and "KeySend 1-255 (WideFS)" parameter 3 for the first line and "KeySend 1-255 (WideFS)" parameter 4 in scond line in FSUIP, and my WideClient.ini looks like this:

[user]

Log=Errors+

KeySend1=RWon

KeySend2=RWoff

KeySend3=123,16 ; Press F12

KeySend4=123,24 ; Release F12

UseSendInput=Yes

And it work now

This was a simple post from a user in another forum. Although the RW KeySends are unnecessary, this method (and specific instructions) works great. - Ryan Scott

im a lucky boy.

just been trying to get this working myself with my ch yoke buttons

i updated to latest fsuipc and widefs versions.

edited the wideclient.ini just as prev post, except i substituted 122 (ie F11) instead of F12(123)

i now have sbox3 voice on the wideclient keyboard (F12) {uses keysend 1+2from fsuipc on the server pc running fs9}

and teamspeak on the wideclient keyboard( F11) {uses keysend 3+4 from fsuipc on the server pc running fs9

both PTTs work directly from the yoke connected to the server with fs9 on it

i did read the manual and have learnt a lot from the experience.

hears to programming more buttons soon

supplement to my previous,

ive shown below exactly how my wideclient.ini file looks, in the hope it will help someone else and save some of petes precious time!

NB the run1= line will make squawkbox run automatically with widefs

also, dont forget when you save the modified ini file, it must be saved as .ini and not (as i did originally) with a .txt extention

my ini file below here

; PLEASE SEE WideFS documentation for parameter details

; =====================================================

[Config]

ServerName=MAIN

Port=8002

Window=-51,43,886,589

Visible=Yes

ButtonScanInterval=20

ClassInstance=0

NetworkTiming=5,1

PollInterval=2000

ResponseTime=18

ApplicationDelay=0

TCPcoalesce=No

UseTCPIP=Yes

WaitForNewData=500

MaxSendQ=100

OnMaxSendQ=Log

NewSendScanTime=50

Priority=3,1,2

; -----------------------------------------------

[user]

Log=Errors+

run1=c:\Program Files\SquawkBox3\squawkbox.exe

Keysend1=Rwon

Keysend2=Rwoff

Keysend3=122,16 ;press f11

Keysend4=122,24 ;releasef11

UseSendInput=Yes

; ===============================================

Mine looks quite similar, sans the RW stuff. I think what was most confusing was finding the difference between KeySend and Send Key, which is what I assumed was the case. It's all so simple and clear, once that distinction is made. Thanks for posting your info. Here's hoping that Flight Sim X works as well (which is supposed to handle online ATC, from what I understand).

Ryan Scott