The simFlight Network Forums

Flight levels

Roy Dunlap

:( Please HELP. I continue to be getting unreal flight levels...ie. fl830, fl723.....and ATC repeats over and over and over to climb or descend to the unreal fl.....In addition, to My Traffic I also have airnav live traffic. Does anyone know what would be causing this???????I am wondering if it might be a problem with airnav ai planes.....HElp would be appreciated. thanks

Hi,

The try flying in a region where flights originating from or bound for the US aren't too many in number. If you still see these unusual flight levels, then it might be a MyTraffic problem.

To confirm for sure, disable the MyTraffic bgl files in the [Flight Simulator 9]\Scenery\World\Scenery folder by renaming their extension to .ori

If you still get the ridiculous flight level assignments after doing this, then its not (just) MyTraffic causing the problem.

Neither the schedules supplied by FSLive nor those by MyTraffic contain flight levels in this height. They are all bound to 340 because flights above that value tend not to land properly on the first round, because they start descending too late.

Random flights created through Trafficdatabasebuilder are assigned such values though. I had several situtations were FS9 just was ignoring what the schedules read and did what it wants, not yet any idea why.

• 2 weeks later...

I discovered the same problem a few days ago. I found them in the Global, cargo, and Own BGLs (maybe others,still working on things). FL up tp 95. Affects all types of aircraft and aircraft with these FLs also have more normal FLs in other plans, so not many clues here. These were definately created by MT although not sure how.

What i did was decompile the BGL with AITM2 and then then asked that program to "fix" flight levels. It created a cap at FL41. then recompiled. Need to rename the BGLs though because TTools required the bgls to start with "trafffic". Looking at the bgls with AITM2 has really helped me catch some oddities and substitute some AI aircrafts for default ones (less fps friendly). By sorting by AI percentage, I found many flight plans with the AI % set to 00%. AITM2 says this is invalid, so i have substituted 1% in these. It also allows me to print the times of arrivals and departures at specific airports (i.e., a timetable). (although you can't integrate the timetables for the separate military, cargo, global, lines, etc. BGLs.

AITM is a nice tool. It is based on ttools, so on FS2002 AI traffic file format with many of its oddities, and does not take care for the changes in the FS9 SDK, but besides that you can use it nicely. If you are using any other AI traffic based on FS8 SDK/Ttools, it may be still more useful for you. It is an easy job with notepad to make one traffic file out of the 6 sources supplied by MyTraffic, they got separated to make combinations with other packages easier.

You can easily check the sources for the Flight plans, you find them in the MT_Plans directory. What you are claiming now is that Trafficdatabasebuilder2004 compiles these wrongly to create unrealistic flight levels? Or just that a FS8 tool decompiles FS9 binaries wrong?

The first may be true, since it is a strange habit of most developers to use the oldest available tool as long as possibe running in a backward compatibility box, and complaining loud once this does not longer work, instead of taking the years we had now to convert to the new options - so it may well be that FS9 traffic format was never used outside of MyTraffic.

Thanks Burkhard. Hope my post didn't sound critical. It wasn't supposed to be. I think what i have learned is that it takes several tools to work with trafic. MT is the cornerstone, but I also use AITM2 and a couple of others for some tasks.

As to the odd FLs, don't know what caused them. I was made aware of them when i was trying to track down why ATC kept harping at an aircraft to expedite its climb.

I have nothing against critics, to be honest, without critics on this forum MyTraffic wouldn't be half as good as it is, while still much better than the competition, of course :lol:

What would be helpful is that, when you have such a sitution, you save the flight, zip it and send it to me, including the info what frequencies you are hearing, so that I can have a look into it.