The simFlight Network Forums

Problems just south of Ross Pvt. (5WA5)

Hi Holger, I was taking a nice cargo flight in my new Scout and saw this out the window just to the south of 5WA5 in Washington state. I can remember doing something up here once before but have no recollection of what files may be causing this.

Any help would be appreciated.

LouP 8)

post-6893-128689350115_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Lou,

sorry, I meant to take a flight in the 5WA5 area but then forgot all about it.

I must say though that you've given me very little to work with. You don't include coordinates with your screenshot and you're not telling me what landscape add-ons you're using: Ultimate Terrain? Columbia River Gorge? Larry's Grand Coulee? Georender Chelan?

All I can see on your picture is what appears to be the default Columbia River with some line, probably a road, running through parts of it. Does this happen only at that location or is the entire area "messed up"? If the latter then a top-down screenshot would be much better because it would help me identify the line type and show the surrounding area.

Cheers, Holger

Sorry bout that Holger, I do appreciate all the asssistance you've given in the past and am not trying to make things more difficult for you. I am using all the items you listed except for UT. I haven't sprung for UT yet as I am worried about a performance hit with my lowly PC.

I'll fly over the area again tonight and take a screen shot from above with the coordinates on.

I beleive that the line you are looking at is a shoreline and not a road but will check again tonight.

LouP 8)

Sorry for the bother, as I got a better view I see it is indeed a road (boy you are good). Gonna have to live with it unless I get UT. While I am thinking about it, can I ask about how much of a fps hit UT can cause approx. I won't hold you to it but was just wondering if you had an idea.

Thanks,

LouP 8)

post-6893-12868936469_thumb.jpg

Hi Lou,

well, that doesn't look right and shouldn't look like that with the right combination of files. It's probably something to do with the combination of Columbia River Gorge and something else. It can't be my southeast B.C. or my North Cascades files but has to be something that provides more accurate roads and railroads for that area without also changing the river.

The landscape cell in question is 15x15. Thus, you could do a search for active (in the scenery library) bgl files that include 915150 in their names and let me know what you find.

As for UT, I like it because it's such a great improvement in detail of water bodies and human infrastructure. It does have its problems (or rather, it exposes issues with airfields and other default structures that are placed incorrectly) but I don't think they outweigh the benefits. Also, it seems to be 95% compatible with the Georender series and other Pacific Northwest add-ons.

The issue with UT on slower machines isn't so much with frame rates but with the amount of detail overwhelming the available system resources leading to the dreaded blurries (because drawing the higher, sharp mipmaps of the ground textures are of the lowest priority to the sim).

However, the UT configurator panel allows you to turn each UT element on/off individually. Thus, as long as you have a slower machine you can just use the new water bodies and main roads and railroads, which won't put much of a strain on your computer, and activate the additional features once you've switched to a faster machine.

Cheers, Holger

Thanks again, Holger. After re-reading this post I realized that I did not mention that I have USA Roads installed also which would be why the road is behaving as such. I am sure the road is accurate while the river may not be.

I may have to reconsider about UT but dread working through all the manual adjustments I have made to make all of the stuff I have work together up to now.

LouP 8)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. Guidelines Privacy Policy We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.