The simFlight Network Forums

Reverse Thrust

Pete,

I have almost finished building my new throttle quadrant but have come across an issue with my reverse thrust levers (which are really just swtches). I have used the following code in FSUIPC.INI [bUTTONS] to get the switches to work :

162=CR(F+15,4)169,1,C65966,0

163=CU(F+15,4)169,1,C65967,0

This works fine apart from tha fact that I cannot use the wheel brakes until reverse thrust is disengaged - I presume this is because I am repeating the "decrease throttle" control so that max reverse thrust is achieved

Can you think of another way of doing this that doesn't interfere with the wheel brakes ?

Many thanks

David

162=CR(F+15,4)169,1,C65966,0

163=CU(F+15,4)169,1,C65967,0

Why the condition on the flag 15,4?

This works fine apart from tha fact that I cannot use the wheel brakes until reverse thrust is disengaged - I presume this is because I am repeating the "decrease throttle" control so that max reverse thrust is achieved

I don't know any reason whiy repeating a "throttle decrement" control at 10-20 times a second, whatever it is, will defeat any braking. Why do you think that? I don't know how you have your braking programmed -- maybe your assorted buttons are mutually exclusive, hardware-wise?

Have you tried using the event or button logging in FSUIPC to see what is happening?

Can you think of another way of doing this that doesn't interfere with the wheel brakes ?

On the contrary, I can't think of anything that would interfere with the wheel brakes. I'm afraid you'll need to go into more details.

Regards,

Pete

The condition flag is there so that I can control when the reversers will activate by setting a zone on the throttle axis (to ensure they will only work when the throttle is closed).

The reason I thought that the repeating decrease thrust control was preventing the wheel brakes being applied was the fact that wheel brakes don't activate on my set-up when reverse thrust is being applied - as soon as I cut reverse thrust the wheel brakes work normally again - they are activated by :

32=CR(F-1,10)(F-1,11)1,0,C65588,0

The conditions are for left and right shift buttons on my joystick

The reason I thought that the repeating decrease thrust control was preventing the wheel brakes being applied was the fact that wheel brakes don't activate on my set-up when reverse thrust is being applied - as soon as I cut reverse thrust the wheel brakes work normally again

But doesn't this indicate more that there's some interaction between the button combinations on your joystick?

Please use the button logging and maybe the event logging in FSUIPC so you can see what is happening. I know of no reason whatsoever for any relationship between braking and reverse thrust. It seems more likely to be a button problem, but you need to investigate with the tools provided.

As a cross-check you could also try using brakes on the keyboard whilst using your reverse thrust system.

Test all this with a default aircraft, mind. Some more sohisticated add-on aircraft will disable manual braking whilst you have any significant thrust set -- in an airliner you'd normally expect autobraking to be operating during reverse in any case.

Regards,

Pete

Pete,

One more question - I have connected a joystick to another PC that talks to FS via Wideclient/Wideserver (the PC runs PM software).

I can see the joystick buttons in FSUIPC and can assign them functions but I cannot see the joystick axes - should I be able to or there something wrong with my set-up ?

Many thanks

David