The simFlight Network Forums

AutoSave and Reset Flight command problem

I am running v1.5 of AutoSave. It is acting strangely following a reinstall of FS 2004.

I am using the default generated autosave.cfg file with no changes at all. Nonetheless, AutoSave is acting as though I had added the command AlsoSave=My Restart to the cfg. In other words, when I execute the Restart Flight command under the Flights menu - with AutoSave installed in the Modules folder - the reloaded flight commences a few seconds before where I was in the flight, instead of on the runway where I started the flight.

If I remove AutoSave from the Modules folder, then the Restart Flight command works as it should, and returns me to the runway where I started the flight.

I've tried regenerating the autosave.cfg but this doesn't help. The same inexplicable behaviour continues.

So it sesms that the AlsoSave=My Restart code is embedded in my version of AutoSave even though no such line has been added to the cfg.

Peter, can you help me out with this anomaly?

Thanks, Robert

PS: Attached is a copy of my autosave.cfg file.

I am using the default generated autosave.cfg file with no changes at all. Nonetheless, AutoSave is acting as though I had added the command AlsoSave=My Restart to the cfg.

It cannot do that as it doesn't then know the name "My Restart" -- that is a name you have chosen (it is the example in the TXT documentation). It isn't actually part of the program, only the "AlsoSave" word itself is.

Are you perhaps looking in the wrong place for the AutoSave.CFG file? It is in the main FS folder, not in the Modules folder. I put INI files with the Modules, but keep CFG files with FS's own, in its main folder.

PS: Attached is a copy of my autosave.cfg file.

Well, it wasn't. But it doesn't matter. Check you have it in the correct folder please.

Regards,

Pete

Peter, the cfg file is in the correct location - the main fs9 folder where most all of the fs files and folders are stored, including the fs9.exe file.

If you can't come up with a solution, then there must be some conflict with another program I'm running, but I've not a clue what it might be.

Robert

Peter, the cfg file is in the correct location - the main fs9 folder where most all of the fs files and folders are stored, including the fs9.exe file.

Is the flight being saved actually called "My Restart" as you implied? If not, what? Can you check the comment in it (the stuff showing up on the Flight selection screen in FS)? That might give a clue.

If you cannot attach a file, just show it all in your reply here -- it would be easier in any case. it is only a very short text file.

It might be worth your whilst searching generally for any other "Autosave.CFG" files too, though I really don't think it can pick them up from anywhere else. Does the timestamp on the one you are looking at seem correct for the last time it was updated (by AutoSave on a normal timed save)? The list of files in it may help.

As I said, there's nothing inside the program itself which can name a restart flight, it has to get it from that parameter.

Pete

Peter, I'm a bit confused by your questions, so let me state in further detail exactly what's going on. The easiest situation to explain is that of a crash on landing. If I press Alt at the time of the crash, and then go to Flights>Reset Flight, the scenery and traffic reload and the sim restarts about 5 seconds or less before the crash. It's a very short time because it's not enough to avoid the crash. If you do a Reset Flight command during normal flight any change in the flight location isn't really noticeable.

There's no saved flight file other than the usual files saved every 60 seconds; nothing named like what you are looking for.

No time right now to run a test and check out the time stamps, etc. that you requested, but when I have a chance later tonight (I'm in California), I'll try a crash and report back.

Thanks for the help.

Robert

Peter, attached is a copy of the saved flight file that was the last one created before I executed a Reset Flight command. I trust this is what you wanted to look at. Also enclosed as part of the Zip attachment is the AutoSave.cfg file reflecting this saved flight.

Thanks, Robert

Files.zip

There's no saved flight file other than the usual files saved every 60 seconds; nothing named like what you are looking for.

Then the flight that is reloading is the one which was last saved, which could be anything from 0 to 60 seconds ago if you are autosaving every 60 seconds.

Regards,

Pete

Peter, attached is a copy of the saved flight file that was the last one created before I executed a Reset Flight command. I trust this is what you wanted to look at. Also enclosed as part of the Zip attachment is the AutoSave.cfg file reflecting this saved flight.

Yes, this shows it is working correctly, as designed. The flight is the regular Autosaved flight. You have it operating every 60 seconds, so it will, on average, have saved 30 seconds ago if you crash at random times.

If you don't want AutoSave to do this, then why have you installed it? If you want to reload from an earlier flight, to give you more time, you just need to use the Flights menu and select one rather earlier.

I actually use 180 seconds (3 minutes) as the Autosave interval, which with 10 iterations saved allows me up to half an hour of flight to choose to go back. Also, with 180 seconds the average is 90 seconds ago. With your average of only 30 seconds ago it is quite likely that this seems more recent due to the time FS seems to spend deciding what to do on a crash.

Please, either don't use AutoSave if you don't want a recent flight restart, or change the parameters to suit what you do want. That's what they are for.

Regards,

Pete

Hi Peter,

I'm getting confused again, but here's where I think we are. I understand that AutoSave is working exactly as it was designed insofar as the save function is concerned. But that is not the problem. The problem is that installation of AutoSave in its default configuration appears to have reconfigured my FS 2004 Reset Flight command so that it reloads the current flight at its then current point, and not at the flight's start on the runway or parking spot. If I remove AutoSave, the Reset Flight command works as intended by Microsoft.

So, is AutoSave in its default configuration intended to alter the functioning of the Reset Flight command? If so, all is normal. If not, then something's causing it to do so on my setup. You seem to indicate that AutoSave ought not to be altering the default parameters set by Microsoft for the Reset Flight command. This suggests that I've got some addon or setting that is causing AutoSave to act in this unintended manner. If that's the case, then I'll just have to decide to live with the situation (which I will do) or reinstall fs9 and do an addon by addon and setting by setting test to determine what's the problem (which I will not do).

Thanks, Robert

The problem is that installation of AutoSave in its default configuration appears to have reconfigured my FS 2004 Reset Flight command so that it reloads the current flight at its then current point, and not at the flight's start on the runway or parking spot. If I remove AutoSave, the Reset Flight command works as intended by Microsoft.

I think this is where the confusion lies. the "reset flight" resets to the last loaded OR saved flight, not only to the last loaded flight. When you have no AutoSave running, the reset flight only goes back to your original loaded flight because you haven't saved one since.

Try it for yourself. Remove autosave, run FS and fly, at some point save a flight (; key). Then see what the Reset Flight facility does.

I think maybe you are assuming the "reset flight" does something different to what it really does? As far as I recall it has always reloaded the "current" flight, and the "current flight" would naturally be the last one saved or loaded, would it not?

Pete