The simFlight Network Forums

Large black space

RDG41

Hi ,

Recently I decided that I would uninstall and reinstall MT 2006. When I went into the control panal and scrolled down to were it should have been in the add remove programs, I was greeted with this huge black void with white strips that spans down a ways. It appears to be the same icon that is used for MT 2006 Editor but blown up huge. Then I uninstalled the program through the program files and it went away. When I reinstalled , it appeared again :( .Can anyone tell me why it is doing this? Ive included a screen shot to clarify what is happening. Thanks for your help :D

Ron

post-14782-128689374059_thumb.jpg

Can't explain why its happening exactly (haven't invested any time into to figuring out why) but I can tell you it happened to me as well. I know its MT2006 as I ended up downloading X-setup pro demo to try and see what apps were not being listed in the add/remove programs setup. Once I uninstalled MT2006, my add/remove progs was back to normal (no more black space). Not entirely sure what causes the issue, but at the least you're not alone.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

I got the exact same thing. I tried several utilities and couldn't fix it. Useful to know it is related to MT2006. Makes sense because it appears alphabetically in the correct spot. I finally decided to leave it alone, as I didn't want to corrupt the registry and it doesn't seem to be harming anything. Seems like a corrupted icon.

As I already posted above, I have the Simmarket version installed on two systems and do not see this to happen - but heared it from time to time from others.

There is no need for MyTraffic to have anything in the registry but the start menu shortcuts, and even these are not really necessary, so you can delete anything concerning MyTraffic in the registry without any problem.

BUT:

YOU CANNOT UNINSTALL FS9 ADD ONS USING UNINSTALLERS OR SOFTWARE REMOVAL.

It is guaranteed that if you do this once, your FS9 setup will be in an undefined state, from were it never can recover. Most likely you will not notice this, and months later with a completely different product you will have strange effects, you will blame that product, deinstall again, later first crashes will appear with a third product, and all just because of one uninstall.

NEVER DO IT.

If you want to remove a product, you have to carefully go through a long chain of steps, in correct order, to be safe.

The reason is the double bookkeeping inside FS9, which, if once desynchronized, never synchronizes again. FS8 was much more stable in this aspect.

Unfortunately, publishers tend to ignore this simple truth, they require uninstallers because all those reviewers blame case ther is none, without understanding what is going on.

• 3 weeks later...

It is not really a problem, just a strange look of MS control panel, and it seems to happen in rare cases. I have three systems with that version installed, and none shows it. What happens when you press the "change" button, or haven't you got one?

I'm not in front of my computer right now otherwise i would post what it looks like, but if you look at the small icon in the program files list, it looks just like that at the top of that icon but of coarse blown way up so you can only see a small portion of it.

Husain mailed me that he has had this once.

He solved it the following way:

a) he renamed the FS9 main folder, let us say from to .

b) He ran the MyTraffic uninstaller, that removed the registry entries and no file since it found none.

c) He renamed the FS9 folder back, and all was cured.

Are the developers of this software working on this? Do you think this will be addressed in a near future update? I can imagine more folks may be unaware of this because they may not have much reason to even look through their Ädd or Remove Programs" module. I've just noticed this after a HD failure and new install of XP and FS9." I had MT2006 installed before but don't remember seeing this condition but, it may have been existed.

Wilbert

This is a difficult question.

The developpers of MyTraffic, thats me, my mirror image and my shadow, and we all are aware that using the Simmarket installer this happens in some cases, one out of hundred?, while I cannot produce it on any of my systems.

Now, it has nothing to do with MyTraffic itself, but only can be introduced by the installer. And now it becomes really complicated.

As of March 2003, in Germany free software developpers are no longer allowed to sell their own software. Distribution is only allowed by "publishers", which must be full scale companies including book keepers etc. Don't blame me for this, we had 7 years of a left-oeko government, and they made a lot of such nonsense. Italy has one since today, my best wishes to them - not the former was such a monument of wisdom.

These publisher get the ready to use software, make the installers, generate the keys, collect the money, etc. So while we can urge Simmarket to change to another installer for the next build, we three do not have any other influence on it but finding ways around.

What makes things worse is that MyTraffic with its about 14000 files, which will go up for the next version, challenges the installers. Most of them, including rather expensive ones, crash long before, so finding an installer that is able to handle this isn't an easy task at all.

To summerize, we are aware of this problem, Simmarket is informed, Husain will investigate further what solutions are possible.

Due to the research of Husain - he must have got shy to publish here :lol: - there is a simpler solution to it.

From the START menu, select RUN ( In German XP: Ausführen).

You get a small window with one line to type something in, type

regedit

Don't be afraid, I', with you, we do very safe things only.

You now, in the registration editor, in the left window can browse down to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ . You open each foder by a doubleclick, you can completely ignore all in the right part of the window.

In this you see many item folders, one is MyTraffic2006. Rightclick to this and press delete, and when asked if you are sure, you are, because you should NEVER use this anyways.

Now all should be done. It has no effect at all at any future install, update, or whatever, and is removing only an item that only might serve as an easy way for malware like the Google Taskbar to find out that you have MyTraffic installed, and send you name, IP adress, and all other info it finds to everybody who pays Google for this, not that I assume there is somebody who cares if you have MT installed or not but me, and I got told by you and will not pay Google for it.

The trick in an earlier post did more or less the same thing, but with less control from your side, so I recommend the way described here.

Could somebody here, maybe Denis, please, who has the black hole, please check this and confirm or alarm us?

• 3 weeks later...

Returned after a long break to find this topic updated. Tried the solution and it worked perfectly. Thanks Burkhard. A less classy and professional developer would have simply ignored this. A popular FS site has had several raging debates recently about the responsibilities of developers to customers who purchase their products through publishers. I confess, the responses of some folks surprised me a little. Many seemed adamant that developers do not have the resources or responsibily to answer inquires or troubleshoot customer problems, especially if those problems are only secondarily related to their products. I've stayed out of the debate but your excellent response here proves an important point: Whether it is an ethical obligation or not, some developers, like Burkhard, care enough about their customers' experience with their product to "go the extra distance" to ensure a rewarding purchase. I hope other developers learn something from Burkhard's leadership.

Thanks for these flowers.

To be honest, and to give back a few of the flowers, the response of an author depends on the way the request is posted. In Germany we say "As you shout into the forest, so it comes out". The attitude on this forum is a very gentle one, without offenses, and it is a joy to help. Sometimes one comes to point were, after trying, one does not find a solution, and even that gets understood here without bashing. This is again a good motivation to try the best one can try.

This overall attitude, in many cases, has also motivated users to contribute and to help each others, so some of the tips I can give do not originate from myself, but come from users here, and I'm very thankful for this attitude and this help here, and hope that we will keep to have it for quite some years still.

I do understand that a developers has a responsibilty to customers who purchase their products through publishers - and that some users ( on threads I have read, but didn't affect me with very few exceptions ) have to understand that responsibility does not necessarily mean obligation.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you go to the registration editor and delete the uninistal key, as explained above?

And please hear me repeating, like a prayer in the desert :lol:

You cannot uninstall addons to FS9 and assume FS9 to work as if the addon has never be installed. FS9 has a design bug of double scenery bookkeaping that prevents this to work. If it hadn't this bug, every FS9 startup would last 10 minutes at least.