The simFlight Network Forums

Stutters on final approach

macwino

Unlike the other posts on stuttering I've read in this forum, my stuttering problem seems to be limited to the final approach phase of a flight. I have no problem with texture loading and stutters when I encounter an AI plane enroute, which appears to be the kind of stutter being discussed in the forum.

I experience this stuttering at default major airports even with AI traffic reduced to 25%. I need to turn AI off entirely before I can accomplish a landing with full control of the plane at these airports. When I'm not landing, I can have my AI traffic at 90% without any problems.

Are any of the fixes enclosed in the aircraftmods directory designed to mitigate the problem I am encountering, and if so, which one(s) should I apply?

Thanks, Robert

P.S.: Also, in case I'm supposed to use the 3 processes labelled Airbus, Boeing, and Rest . . ., can you tell me just what they do. In other words, do they implement one of the four other options in the aircraftmods directory, or do they do something else?

Hi Robert, the 3 batchfiles convert most of the MT2006 AC to DXT1 textures and the other files in aircraftmods aren't modified or used. The processes will last a while - depending on your FlyTendo - and happen in 2 'halfs' (first to 32-bit and then to DXT1). So, sometime inbetween, you'll need to click 'Done.'

I think you should see an improvement on finals. It will probably also depend a bit on the kind of environments you're moving in. If you're still facing troubles, a very powerful slider is 'Global Texture Size.' 'Hardware Rendered Lights' may also fall in this category? As you probably know, both are in FS9's display section. Good luck and kind regards

Jaap

Nothing to add, perfoming the to DXT1mippmapped conversion for Airbus, Boeing and the rest should cure it.

Where the problem appears differs on a lot of (unknown ) reasons. It does not happen with W2000 or elder DXT9 drivers, and seems to be worse since XPSP2. If it still exists with all the textures converted, this would be interesting to know and to track down.

Running the batch files for Airbus, Boeing, and Rest . . . solved my problem. I can now land with full control at Fly Tampa KSFO at Dusk with 90% traffic. What a difference!

Now I just need some clarification about how running these batch files affected the 4 "next AI generation aircraft" included in Service Pack 1. I assume they weren't altered by the running of these 3 batch files and retain all their new features. Could someone confirm this for me.

Also, in the post about the next generation AI aircraft, it says there are 4 such models but only one is mentioned in the post - the 737-900. What are the other 3 aircraft?

Thanks, Robert

Thanks for confirmation. The aircrafts in SP1 already are in this format. The airliners are the 739 and the reworked 721, also the redone CH53 ( reworked due to the sunk in ground problem ) and the good old mighty B52.

You may be interested to learn that currently I'm working hard to convert all MyTraffic models into the FS9 format to get still better performance out of them.