The simFlight Network Forums

Connecting to two versions of Flight Sim using C++

Hi Pete,

I really hope you can help me with this one..........

Is it possible to connect to two copies of flight sim at the same time (from the same c++ winapi on the same PC)?

I have one version running on my PC which I connect to using FSUIPC, the other version is on another PC and I need to connect to this one at the same time (via wideFS) so that I can extract variables from both flight sims and compare the data to make sure it is the same.

There is a reason why I need two copies of flight sim up and running, which I am more than happy to post should you require more info, however the reason is rather long winded...

Thanks

Is it possible to connect to two copies of flight sim at the same time (from the same c++ winapi on the same PC)?

I have one version running on my PC which I connect to using FSUIPC, the other version is on another PC and I need to connect to this one at the same time (via wideFS) so that I can extract variables from both flight sims and compare the data to make sure it is the same.

Yes. You need to change the Classname used in WideClient (there's a parameter for that), and interface to that using that classname to get the window handle, and use a different memory-mapped file (i.e. change the way the file name is generated. You'll need to adapt the source code from that supplied for the interface in the SDK.

Regards,

Pete

cheers for getting back to me so quickly...

I haven't got a clue what your on about!!!! But I'll have a good read through the WideFS documentation tonight and hopefully will no more about Classname and memory-mapped file tomorrow so that I can give it a try.

might need some more guidance if I come up against a brick wall, but i won't pester you till I've read the documentation!

thanks again

I haven't got a clue what your on about!!!!

You are a C/C++ programer? You program for Windows? Every window in Windows has a Classname (not necessarily unique). The FS window's class name is "FS98MAIN". FSUIPC has one called "UIPCMAIN". WideClient emulates FS and uses "FS98MAIN", and using this stops you running both FS and WideClient on the same PC.

The interface code uses the Class name to find the Window to send the data read/write requests to. It passes the data via memory mapped files -- you need a different such file for the two interface jobs you need to do.

The C source of the interface is provided in the SDK and, being a C/C++ programmer, you should have no trouble working out how to make two of them.

If you are not a programmer or don't know C or Windows programming then I would recommend you find someone who does.

Regards

Pete