The simFlight Network Forums

Elevator Trim

Hi Pete,

after installing FSUIPC 3.556 I dedcided to let all axis be processed by FSUIPC. So I disabled the Joystick in MSFS2004, deleted alle entries in fs9.cfg and got rid of the devices.cfg as you instructed us.

I have been able to assign axis allready successfully and I do have the feeling (not enough test-flights yet) that calibrating axis through FSUIPC brings me closer to the feeling of "real flights" (flying real planes also).

One "axis" that I also would like to assign is the elevator trim on my GoFlight GF-LGT. But I do not really find out how. Tried several things without success. I do get it as a "button" in FSUIPC but I am not able to get it as an "axis" so I can calibrate it with FSUIPC (Page 6 on Joystick calibration).

How would I have to set it right?

Regards

Klaus

One "axis" that I also would like to assign is the elevator trim on my GoFlight GF-LGT. But I do not really find out how. Tried several things without success. I do get it as a "button" in FSUIPC but I am not able to get it as an "axis" so I can calibrate it with FSUIPC (Page 6 on Joystick calibration).

The trim lever on the GoFlight LGT is not an axis at all, it is a double pole centre-off sprung switch, represented as two buttons, one for up and one for down.

There is absolutely no way possible to use a button or switch as an axis with more than one value each -- axes must provide variable parameter values to be of any use as axes.

Regards

Pete

So the only way would be to assign "Trim Down" to two of the "buttons" and "Trim Up" to the other two buttons (as I could identify 4 buttons)?

Four button returns? Aha! That certainly occurs with the rotaries, where FSUIPC/WideClient create a "fast" and a "slow" button for each direction -- the rotaries send pulses at varying speeds according to how fast you turn the knobs.

Anyway, if that's what it is returning, then, yes -- though if you want a more delicate trim you should really only program one in each direction -- but check the repeat whichever way, so you can hold the lever up or down for a continuous trim change.

[LATER]

Ah .. wat a minute. Is the trim on the LGT a wheel, like the trim wheel in a Cessna?

Sorry, I seem to have fogotten most of the little I knew about the GoFlight stuff. I only had them for a while, whilst I was programming them. (Not enough space to keep everything! ;-))

If it is the wheel, then, yes, it is actually a rotary, just like the ones with left-right turning knobs on other deives like the GF MCP and the GF 45, 46, 166 devices.

In that case check the FSUIPC documentation where it does explain about the 4 buttons, fast left, slow left, slow right, fast right. You could take advantage of those for sure. Program the fast versions for Trim Up/Down on both press and release, but the slow ones on only press. That will give you two speeds of trim, one faster than the other.

I think I covered this in my examples in the documentation and accompanying files for GFdisplay. You may want to look there and take advantage of work done already. Here's an extract from the documentation:

The FSUIPC programming for the LGT is mercifully short too:

250=P165,4,C65607,0

251=U165,4,C65607,0

252=P165,5,C65607,0

253=U165,5,C65607,0

254=P165,6,C65615,0

255=U165,6,C65615,0

256=P165,7,C65615,0

257=U165,7,C65615,0

Those are the trim wheel “buttons” (4–7 fast “down” to fast “up”), with the usual treatment for rotaries to make every tick count.

258=P165,2,C65759,0

259=P165,1,C65758,0

The Flaps lever is off, or operating buttons 1 or 2. I’ve not selected “repeat” here because the rpeeats are too fast and make it difficult to select a specific flap setting.

260=P165,0,C66079,0

261=U165,0,C66080,0

The gear up and gear down controls in FS used specifically, so that the lever stays in sync. Don’t use the “toggle” controls with latching switches like this, only with buttons.

Regards

Pete