The simFlight Network Forums

Problem programming fsuipc

HI, I am trying to create a trim control from a 2 phase rotary connected to a hagstrom KE72 keyboard controller. I have assigned keys v and w in the hagstrom controller and that is working fine. i get vwvw etc turning clockwise and wvwv etc turn anti clocwise.

In FSUIPC (Registered),

In the [keys] section I have assigned the keys v and w to toggle virtual button flags j15,b8 and j15,b9 thus:

84=86,8,1005,3848

85=87,8,1005,3849

then in the [buttons] section using the example from the advanced users document i have asigned the "buttons" to the trim up and down controls thus:

74=CP(F+15,8)15,9,C65607,0

75=CU(F+15,8)15,9,C65615,0

However it does not work in FS

Can you advise where i am going wrong and or show me the correct way to do this.

regards

Dave Lidgley

Can you advise where i am going wrong and or show me the correct way to do this.

How complicated! It sounds like that Hagstrom controller is absolutely not suited to such rotaries.

To be honest I am not sure it is even possible. But I have no experience whatsoever of 2-phase rotary switches -- all the ones I've ever had produce chains of pulses on one line one way and on another line the other way.

I do think, though, that your button programming looks completely wrong. I am comparing it with the example provided to me for publication in the Advanced User's documentation for FSUIPC.

Please look at the example. Search for "two-phase" in the document and you should find it straight-away. There's a good half-page or more spent on explaining it.

Regards,

Pete

To be honest I am not sure it is even possible. But I have no experience whatsoever of 2-phase rotary switches -- all the ones I've ever had produce chains of pulses on one line one way and on another line the other way.

I guess not even Pete's to old to learn :D

These things are not called Rotary Switches, they are Rotary Encoders. They generate a pule 'x' degrees out of phase in the one direction, and 'y' degrees out of phase in the other direction (In relation to a common input).

IMHO, These switches should be connected to a Encoder IC (Mostly PICs) - which makes the outputs from the IC operate similarly to a standard Rotary Switch. These switches are normally controlled by things like PICs and Digital Circuitry - it won't be the best bet to tie them up as is, directly to a software interface...

--

C

These things are not called Rotary Switches, they are Rotary Encoders. They generate a pule 'x' degrees out of phase in the one direction, and 'y' degrees out of phase in the other direction (In relation to a common input).

Yes, I do know what they do. Sorry if I gave the impression I didn't. I just said I'd never had one -- all my rotary "encoders" (I use the term "switch" generically to emcompass all these things, sorry for my inaccuracy) produce pulses on separate lines according to the direction. I understand the two-phase ones are easier to obtain, and possibly cheaper. There are other threads here which discuss both and give some links to suppliers of the 'simpler' type I have.

The example in the documentation was programmed and tested and provided by a user who did have the two-phase types. I'm sure the logic is sound there.

Regards,

Pete