The simFlight Network Forums

Laptop WideFS (client) feeding multiple FS04PC’s (servers) ?

I have WideFS working fine from my Laptop (clientPC) to my FS2004PC (serverPC) via my router, using it to send/feed info to FS2004 when using it on the PC

I am looking though at getting a second PC networked via a router and was wondering if I can have the Laptop (clientPC) doing the same for both.

I read this line in the instructions “Each server can serve many clients, but each client only talks to one server.” From that I would think no, but am I wrong ?

The whole point of doing this is to use the Laptop to run all the other programs (Squawkbox, FlightMap, Weather and such) so is there a way I can do this ?

The whole point of doing this is to use the Laptop to run all the other programs (Squawkbox, FlightMap, Weather and such) so is there a way I can do this ?

Eryou will have 3 PCs on your Network, and want to run two separate copies of FS on two of them with one client linked to both?

Can I ask why? Are there two of you, or are you flying two aircraft simultaneously for a bet?

Obviously a sinlge copy of Squawkbox or a moving map won't deal with two separate aircraft at the same time -- the Controllers via SB will want to see each aircraft separately, and I how does the map independently move to continue to show both aircraft?

Please explain what you want to achieve. It doesn't sound sensible at present.

Regards,

Pete

Hello Peter and thanks for the quick reply.

Yeah sorry for the confusion, what I world like to do is run two separate PC's, ie myself on one and another person next to me on the other so that lets say we could be flying together via a network link, yet run all the peripheral programs, such as I mentioned, off one laptop so that the PC’s don’t get the performance hit of programs in the background.

After looking at it further could this be done if we use the Lap as the server with running a copy of FS2004 but just not being used and then make the two PC’s as the clients with just FSwide running in the background?

Also I could see that maybe FlightMap wouldn't like this but maybe others would. Guess what I'm trying to do is not have to buy/run a dedicated lap for each PC to run the separate programs.

what I world like to do is run two separate PC's, ie myself on one and another person next to me on the other so that lets say we could be flying together via a network link, yet run all the peripheral programs, such as I mentioned, off one laptop so that the PC’s don’t get the performance hit of programs in the background.

You'd need two copies of each such program running in any case, as I mentioned. Then the problem comes with how they identify which server to connect to. As far as they are concerned, the FSUIPC interface is the FSUIPC interface, there's no more than one on a PC.

Multiple Wideclients can actually be run on one PC, by changing the Classname -- there's a parameter for that in the INI (it is documented). The Server to which they connect would be declared by the ServerName parameter, and you'd need to select a different Port for one pair 98002 is the default).

However, the programs would only actually connect to the one running copy of WideClient which is still using the original Classname, because that's how they identify it. You'd need to apply to the programmers of those programs for versions which allowed you to change the Classnames used in their code. I really don't think it's going to be feasible, apart from which I doubt that your Notebook would stand the strain of 6 fairly heavyweight programs, especially two moving maps even if the screen were wide enough.

After looking at it further could this be done if we use the Lap as the server with running a copy of FS2004 but just not being used and then make the two PC’s as the clients with just FSwide running in the background?

Erbut how are either of you flying if the only single copy of FS is not being used? Or am I misunderstanding something here. That proposal seems to make no sense. What are the Clients being used for? If you only have one copy of FS you only need one Squawkbox, one moving map and so on. And a laptop screen is unlikely to be very suitable for two of you to view the cockpit and scenery so well even if you were actually flying.

Also I could see that maybe FlightMap wouldn't like this but maybe others would. Guess what I'm trying to do is not have to buy/run a dedicated lap for each PC to run the separate programs.

Why a laptop in any case? They are very expensive and far less flexible for what you need. If there are two of you flying independently I can't see what you are linking the PCs for in any case, except by Multiplayer so you can see each other's aircraft. Have you tried running Squawkbox in the same PCs as each of your FS's?

There seems still to be something here you aren't explaining, I think.

Regards,

Pete

Basically from what you’ve indicated it looks like I’m not going to be able to do what I want and sorry if I’m not explaining correctly but just for the sake of clarification I’ll try again

A: at the moment I use (1) PC, for

FlightSim

Which has the WideFS Server items in the modules folder

B: (1) Laptop, for

FlightMap

Weather Gen Program

Squawk Box & other Vatsim items

Laptop has WideFS Client software and client.exe file

C: (1) Netgear Router, for

Networking Laptop to PC

Generally I will run FS2004 alone for casual flying, but if I really want to get into it I plug in the laptop, run WideFS on the Lap once FS2004 is running and use all those peripheral programs via the laptop and WideFS instead of hurting FS2004 by running them

What I want to do is add a second PC, used the same as the first, running a second FS2004 for second person, use the router and direct IP address for a multiplayer session initiated from one or the other machine and have the laptop connected via WideFS running that peripheral software feeding both machines as if they were one. IE add weather to each, run a separate Squawk Box for each.

Again I get what you say about those programs only seeing one WideFS but that’s what I thought I could do just have WideFS only want one program and just send it to multiple IPs so that both PCs would get the info, but as I’ve said I get your point about the issues concerning that

One last question I’m still a little confused about though is where it state's that the server machine can have and see as many clients as it wants but only one client can see one server, what are the multiple clients for? IE I read a post where someone stated having on server and 5 client machings…so what is he using the 5 client machines for ?

What I want to do is add a second PC, used the same as the first, running a second FS2004 for second person

Yes --- flying independently, as I thought first time?

... have the laptop connected via WideFS running that peripheral software feeding both machines as if they were one. IE add weather to each, run a separate Squawk Box for each.

Yes, that's what I answered first time. WideFS can do it, but you'd need two copies of each such program, one of which is altered (internally) to connect to the WideClient with the changed ClassName. You'd have to apply to the authors of the weather program and Squawkbox to ask them to alter their programs so this could be done. You may also find, of course, that for other reasons they don't run more than one copy at a time, so that would be further alterations needed.

Again I get what you say about those programs only seeing one WideFS but that’s what I thought I could do just have WideFS only want one program and just send it to multiple IPs so that both PCs would get the info

Ereven if that were possible, what happens when your friend is flying in one part of the world and you in another? You'd need the weather program adapted to detect two locations and supply weather for both. Similarly, Squawkbox would have to be altered to provide the ATC folks the details of both separate aircraft. It really is a big re-write.

One last question I’m still a little confused about though is where it state's that the server machine can have and see as many clients as it wants but only one client can see one server

No, each client connects to one server. If it connected to more, what position, identification, airspeed, altitude, etc etc does it convey to its local applications? Please think about it. There's only one set of data provided by one WideClient. How could it possibly deal with multiple Servers?

The Server can deal with multiple clients because it can send the same data to each. There's only one User Aircraft, one position, etc.

what are the multiple clients for? IE I read a post where someone stated having on server and 5 client machings…so what is he using the 5 client machines for ?

I don't know what he is using, but I typically use 10 PCs with my cockpit. There are 6 inside the cockpit itself, all Clients, as follows:

1 for MCP (Project Magenta MCP software connected to a PFC hardware MCP)

1 for Pilot's PFD/ND, running PM's PFD/ND and using a 17" TFT screen

1 for CoPilot's PFD/ND, similarly

1 for the main (pilot's) CDU, running PM's CDU on a PFC hardware CDU

1 for the second (co-pilot's) CDU, running PM's RCDU on another hardware CDU

1 for the EICAS screen, running PM's EICAS on a 10" TFT.

Outside the cockpit there's 4 more PCs:

1 real fast one running FS2004, this is the Server

1 running pmSystems (for the overhead), pmSounds, ActiveSky, AISmooth, AI_WxR, FSRealTime and Radar Contact 4 (for Air Traffic Control). This is also quite a fast PC.

1 sometimes running PM's Instructor Station

1 running Jeppesen Flitemap in "moving Map" mode. It is also used for flight planning, feeding the plans directly to the CDU and Radar Contact.

For Project Magenta information look at http://www.promagenta.com. Tale a look at some of the cockpits pictured in the gallery there -- most if not all use multiple client PCs.

My cockpit is the 737NG by PFC -- you can see it on http://www.flypfc.com. There's also a cockpit-builder's Forum here you may wish to browse.

Regards,

Pete

Ah Ok I get it now, I guess I was kinda coming at it the opposite way but the idea is (1) FS2004 (server) to 1,2,3..etc clients running diff apps fed from FS2004.

I guess I was thinking that way to as the few apps I run mostly feed info back to FS2004 so my head wasn't in the right direction

Thanks anyway for all the help Pete, hope I wasn't too much of a pest

I guess I was thinking that way to as the few apps I run mostly feed info back to FS2004 so my head wasn't in the right direction

Well, things do go both ways of course. In my case, the PCs running the MCP and CDUs will be just as much feeding into FS as getting and displaying data from it -- especially in automatic pilot modes (PM's MCP is not only the control program for the hardware MCP, but also an advanced autopilot, using LNAV and VNAV route information from the CDU).

And of course the weather program (ActiveSky), pmSystems, fsRealTime and AIsmooth are more about feeding data into the simulation than taking it out.

Thanks anyway for all the help Pete, hope I wasn't too much of a pest

Not at all.

Regards,

Pete