The simFlight Network Forums

Registered v. Unregistered

I see Pete is on holiday ('bon voyage' - and (more to the point), bon retour, Pete!). I am sure someone else will be able to answer my question however.

I have always managed well with the generous unregistered version of FSUIPC, but from posts to various FS forums it seems that the registered version may be able to help me tweak my (already massively tweaked) setup in a way that I otherwise cannot.

My 'gripe' is with the visibility settings: I find that when flying at medium to high altitudes (i.e. over 15,000'), which if you are in a 747, you are bound to be doing, the available settings for visibility in the advanced weather options are all but useless. At 'unlimited', everything is crystal clear, even at 40,000', which to my eyes looks pretty awful (especially with FScene ground textures making things brighter than the default in any case). However, at '50 miles', the next step down, there is so much haze that I might as well have not bothered investing in FScene, (or FSGenesis and all the rest), 'cos you don't then see much worth seeing.

I am told that the registered version of FSUIPC would enable me to fix this. I have the manual, but cannot quite see how this would work in practice. Could someone very kindly enlighten me?

Many thanks,

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

I am told that the registered version of FSUIPC would enable me to fix this. I have the manual, but cannot quite see how this would work in practice. Could someone very kindly enlighten me?

The graduated visibility option in FSUIPC graduates the visibility from the top of the normal FS layer to a specified higher altiude, with an upper maximum there -- so it varies as you might wish. There's no upper altitude limit to the visibility restriction as in default FS -- though even in the latter you can set the upper level very high. Unfortunately though this produces the same visibility value all the way up.

Regards,

Pete