The simFlight Network Forums

Large Black Pages in XP Add or Remove Programs

Wilbert

I looked again into the software settings, and it looks quite normal. When pressing "Change", it ptoposes to remove completely from the software list, what is what it should be because handling it from there can only destroy your FS9 setup.

It does not touch MyTRaffic itself at all removing it from that list.

Maybe this is the simple solution for you? Husain, please verify!

• 1 month later...

1. Start Registry Editor

2. Select:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

SOFTWARE

MICROSOFT

WINDOWS

Uninstall

MyTraffic 2006

3. Delete the key "UnInstallString"

(Remember if you want to uninstall the program, you'll have to do it manually)

I would recommend backing up the affected registry branch before making any changes. (Use export function)

No remove option of any FS9 addon should ever be used. This is the safest way to kill your FS9 setup.

The trick on the registry is completely safe. There still is lot of fear working with regedit based on historical experience with Windows 98 were a mismatch between registry and autostart.bat could be dangerous. Now everything goes through the registry. Usinf regmon we see that if you start FS9 for a flight from KEWR to KLGA, you make about 50000 writes to the registry you aren't aware of. So one more write you are aware of can not be so dangerous.

• 2 months later...

This has bugged me for a While.. It's a problem with the Icon embedded in m ytraffic I think..

So to fix this I did this.

copied the icon attached into my flightsim directory

Start Registry Editor

2. Select:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

SOFTWARE

MICROSOFT

WINDOWS

UNINSTALL

MY TRAFFIC 2006

CREATE a new String Value which you call DisplayIcon

You then give it a value like the one below (path to icon, note the two leading slashes are important.. it doesnt work without them!)

C:\\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\mytraffic2006.ico

quit Regedit and test your control panel.

Usual disclamers apply :)

Can someone verify this please..

Sorry, I cannot test since I never see this gap on any install I make, but it sounds the most elegant way.

But after this, still PLEASE do NEVER use an unistaller for any FS9 addon, since they CANNOT work and MUST convert FS9 into a state beyond any chance of repair, and they DO so...

It was better for FS8, where you could be sure that at least every essential FS file was in the FS directory. If you assume now Vista ( that disallows any user changing any file in a program directory ) or Vista ready programs, just get your helmet on, we are waiting eagerly to enter at the entrance to hell :cry: