The simFlight Network Forums

Pitch down Pitch up No increment? need help

Hello Pete!

My question is: for pitch up/down elevator, Im using the Pitch up/down setting in FSUIPC. I did calibrate my Joystick as per your Manuel, I disabled the Joystick function in FS 2004. All is working exept: clicking the up and down bottons. The trim is not changing in the Cessna Skyhawk. The Keyboard function F7 and F6 are still working, but I like to have it on my Joystick. I read your Manuel and i think there is another setting to do in the INI file? Bdw, English is my 2nd language, please be not upset with me. I also checked the forum for the answer, but did't help me. Regards Herb

My question is: for pitch up/down elevator, Im using the Pitch up/down setting in FSUIPC. I did calibrate my Joystick as per your Manuel, I disabled the Joystick function in FS 2004. All is working exept: clicking the up and down bottons. The trim is not changing in the Cessna Skyhawk. The Keyboard function F7 and F6 are still working, but I like to have it on my Joystick.

Er, sorry but I am a bit confused by what you say. Are you talking about elevator TRIM? You want a trim up button and a trim down button, right?

If so, this is nothing to do with FSUIPC joystick calibration -- you don't calibrate button presses, they are simply buttons. You program the trim up and trim down controls in the Buttons and Switches section. Try that. In the drop-down control lists they are "Elev trim up" and "Elev trim dn". Also check the "repeat" option so they repeat whilst held down.

Regards,

Pete

Hello Pete!

I did what you said before. I dont find the FS Controll Surface Command: "Pitch Down (elevator) Pitch Up (elevator)" because the Elevator trim up/down setting did not moved the Trimwheel in the Cessna airplane. Right now, I just open the flightsim and I have no AXIS controll on all exis Z,Y,X. They show ok in the set-up, but won't work. I will try to find the problem. Is not the Joystick, it show all axis and botton working. Herb

I did what you said before. I dont find the FS Controll Surface Command: "Pitch Down (elevator) Pitch Up (elevator)"

There's no such commands. You can assign the Elevator to an Axis elevator set command -- not a separate pitch up or down. It's a normal axis with a centre.

There's an Axis set command also for elevator trim. Again, it has a centre, but certainly not a separate up and down.

I really don't understand what it is you are trying to do nor how you are trying to do it!

because the Elevator trim up/down setting did not moved the Trimwheel in the Cessna airplane.

What elevator trim up/down setting are you talking about? Please try to separate BUTTONS and AXES. They are entirely different things!

Right now, I just open the flightsim and I have no AXIS controll on all exis Z,Y,X.

What has any of that got to do with the trim? Surely you use X for aileron, Y for elevator and Z for throttle (usually)? You said earlier that you'd disabled it all in FS, so this could be why it doesn't work, no?

Why not start again? Remove FSUIPC, delete FSUIPC.INI, run FS and sort out your joystick assignments there. I think until you can say what it is you want to do you will be better staying with the simple things.

Regards,

Pete

Hello Pete!

Read this in the Manual.This why I did delete the Axes

IMPORTANT: Before making any assignments in FSUIPC, you should be sure that the same axes are not being assigned in FS itself. This isn’t as easy as it sounds, because when FS sees a new control attached it does automatic assignments. If you just want to use FSUIPC to program the odd axis, but leave the rest to FS, then it is best to just go into FS’s assignment dialogues and de-assign the axis you want FSUIPC to handle. But be sure to check this on your next load of FS, just in case it gets reassigned automatically. It does happen!

Ok, I will start overagain like you told me above. Regards Herb

Question: Should all Axis Assignments deleted from the CGF file before assign in FSUIPC module? (Back-up first)

Well, I originally thought it was a good idea, but it seems that FS puts them back in any case, eventually. So I wouldn't worry about them. If you are doing ALL your button ands axis assignments in FSUIPC, just disable the joystick in FS's Options-Settings menu. (There is a bt of a discussion about this in the FSUIPC documentation).

Regards,

Pete

I had all Axis working last night, when I open the progam today, the axis din't work no more. I did not touched anything else. What I like to do is. go full power adjust the trim to stay level, reduce power, have to trim up a little to fly level. For this I do use 2 bottons on my Joiystick, Keyboard Num Pad 1 and 7. in FS. Herb

I had all Axis working last night, when I open the progam today, the axis din't work no more. I did not touched anything else.

What were you using to assign the axes (FS or FSUIPC) and what version of FSUIPC? Have you seen the interim updates available above?

What I like to do is. go full power adjust the trim to stay level, reduce power, have to trim up a little to fly level. For this I do use 2 bottons on my Joiystick, Keyboard Num Pad 1 and 7. in FS. Herb

Yes, this is called elevator trim. If you want to assign the buttons in FSUIPC, go to the buttons page, check the option to use controls, find in the drop down the "elev trim up" and "elev trim dn" controls, assigning them each to the correct button press, and remembering to check the "repeat" option. As I explained before.

Using buttons for trim up and down is also the default way FS assigns these, so I really don't understand what you are doing in FSUIPC in the first place. Sorry.

Regards,

Pete

Hello Pete!

I have it all working again as before, deleted the Ini-file moved the sfuicp.dll before hand, like you told me. The FSUIPC Module is V 3.601 there is no Elev trim up or Elev trim down in my window. See screen-shot. There is only a Elevator trim set. Why I go to all this trouble, because the flight instructor Ron want me to fly a decent, Idle setting, a 20 degree turn and hold 90kn till getting to the lower altitude then level add power again and trim for level flight. I'm doing it going up Ok, but that downwards manuver give me trouble with the joystick. Would be easy with a Yoke and Pedals I think. Herb

post-15251-128689395961_thumb.jpg

I have it all working again as before, deleted the Ini-file moved the sfuicp.dll before hand, like you told me. The FSUIPC Module is V 3.601 there is no Elev trim up or Elev trim down in my window. See screen-shot.

Ahapologies. The controls are actually named "Trim up" and "Trim down". Looks like the "Elev" bit is dropped. FSUIPC gets the list from FS, it isn't its own, and I think these are converted from the "Num1" and "Num7" control names which are rather meaningless.

Why I go to all this trouble, because

Yes, but why use FSUIPC to assign controls to buttons which FS supports well enough itself, and normally assigns automatically in any case? In other words, why are you confusing yourself with FSUIPC doing just standard things which FS does reasonably well by itself? There must be more to what you want, surely, than simply assigning X Y Z and trim? FSDUIPC's facilities are really provided to augment what can be done in FS, not simply do the same.

Regards,

Pete

Helo Pete!

My thinking was: To get better resolution tighter controll with Joystick setting in the FSUICP module. Maybe I just use the Axes with out diseabling the Joystick in FS. (Leave trim bottons alone) If I do, do I have to delete the Axes X and Y in FS assignment before assign in FSUICP module? This should be all for now. I would like to thank you very much for your help. Regards Herb

My thinking was: To get better resolution tighter controll with Joystick setting in the FSUICP module. Maybe I just use the Axes with out diseabling the Joystick in FS.

Yes. Unless you want to do clever things with the main X, Y, Z axes, you might as well assign them in FS. You can still calibrate them more precisely in FSUIPC, and assign response curves to get the sensitivity you like. That's the advantage of FSUIPC calibration. The axis assignment facility is a bonus mainly aimed at more ambitious arrangements.

If I do, do I have to delete the Axes X and Y in FS assignment before assign in FSUICP module?

I think for you, this is the easiest: forget the Axes tab in FSUIPC. If you have already assigned Axes in the FSUIPC axes section, yes, go there and clear them, otherwise you will have a double action. Then just get everything assigned and working in FS alone. Then, as you like, calibrate the X Y Z in FSUIPC -- that's in the Joystick Calibrations section.

Regards,

Pete

Hello Pete!

You are a great help. Thanks again, I'm flying RC Models and have Exponential 25% on my Sticks to soften the center. Starting from now, I do my flying at the Club-field. FS on rainy days and Winter. Keep care for now. Regards Herb

post-15251-128689396657_thumb.jpg

post-15251-128689396664_thumb.jpg

I'm flying RC Models and have Exponential 25% on my Sticks to soften the center. Starting from now, I do my flying at the Club-field. FS on rainy days and Winter.

Sounds good. Nice looking models! You have equivalent performing ones in FS (scaled up presumably ;-) )?

Pete