The simFlight Network Forums

CH Quad

Hi,

I have installed FSUIPC 3.617 and find everything easier to calibrate, but still have a problem with my throttles and flaps, connected to CH Quad.

Everything seems to work OK, but it appears the levers are centered, giving wrong readings to FSUIPC - ie reverse seems OK at -16350, but advancing the lever gives 0 at the centre point. and full throttle gives 16350, but is not giving the correct values to FS9.

Any pointers would be appreciated,

Everything seems to work OK, but it appears the levers are centered, giving wrong readings to FSUIPC - ie reverse seems OK at -16350, but advancing the lever gives 0 at the centre point. and full throttle gives 16350, but is not giving the correct values to FS9.

Hmmm. that's rather vague and unhelpful I'm afraid. Sorry. What are "incorrect" values to FS? Reverse should give reverse to FS, zero will give idle, and full throttle will give full throttle. Maybe you haven't actually calibrated them yet?

Perhaps what you are really trying to say is that you have calibrated the centre in the centre and you don't want it there?

Unlike ailerons, elevators and rudders, usually you don't want the throttle idle to be in the centre, as you need much less of the axis movement for reverse (at most a fifth -- FS aircraft have up to 25% thrust available in reverse) than for forward thrust regulation.

Simply recalibrate, following the simple step-by-step instructions in the FSUIPC documentation, with the idle (centre) set where it should be, and where you want it, not in the centre of the axis movement range.

This is the whole point of FSUIPC's more accurate and settable calibration system, something you perhaps may have missed? You can put the "centre" wherever you like! Please just take a look at the steps to set each position. I think you should find it easy enough.

Otherwise, really, if you are going to let the centre lie where it wants you may as well not use FSUIPC! ;-)

Regards,

Pete

Pete,

Thanks for the time to reply before your holiday.

More specifically - I have the CH unit linked to throttle levers via rods.

They have full movement. I calibrate using CH manager, and get OK results.

Using FSUIPC, I calibrate the Throttle 1. Fully back (against the switches) I get a value of -16253. At idle (detente in CH) I get -13393, and at full, 16128

The 0 value appears at the midway point of travel.

Previously, the value at idle was nearer 512. I have checked CH manager to make sure the axis is not labelled "centered", and with FS the same.

I have calibrated succesfully the unit before using your method and documentation, and I am sure I have done something wrong this time, but can't figure out what it is.

Hi Paul,

It could be the Control Manager settings. If you're in Direct Mode, there's a tab on the Test/Calibration page called "Throttle Settings" that lets you set the value at forward, detent, and back. The default is 255 at detent and 255 back. Usually you want 240 or so at detent and 255 at fully back to run analog reversers with FSUIPC. When the two values are the same, there is no value change going into FSUIPC behind the detent and it likely won't respond as you expect. The same applies in Mapped Mode if you're using the CM that way, but the settings are with the axis in the Map itself, the Throttle Settings tab only affects things in Direct Mode.

You might want to drop by my web site and look on the "CH Utilities" page for CMNote02.zip. It just has a WordPad .DOC file in it that talks about setting the Quad up in Mapped and Direct mode and with or without FSUIPC. It might help you get it running again.

Best regards,

- Bob

The StickWorks

http://www.stickworks.com

Bob,

Thanks for your help - I have used your excellent documentation to help me to setup before, but this time it had defeated me - all settings in CH are correct, but FSUIPC still returns values which are unexpected, ie not the 0 and -4096 which I had before, and I cannot get the throttle to idle correctly in FS9.

I have modified my throttle setup since originally using your method to correctly set them up. but essentially have remote levers moving the CH Quad. Inthe previous version of FSUIPC, I had problems with 2nd lever, as the values ere not correctly copied from THR 1., and gave different values.

I am sure I have done something basically wrong, but am too dumb to figure out what it is.

:oops:

Paul

For the record my values in FSUIPC are as follows - I use CHCM in mapped mode so only have one "OUT" value:(My values (for a single/twin engine with reverse thrust are: Throttle 1 =-16193, -14258, -14258, +16192; Throttle 2 = -16193, -14258, -14258, +16192 - these are "SET" values and I have an "OUT" value of -4096). The values relating to these figures are: Minimum, Detent, Detent, Maximum, respectively. Like you my "zero" occurs about half way to maximum. Have you looked in the df Learjet45 VC to see what the relevant positions of the throttles are? (See BChurch cmnote.02.zip) My settings move the throttles exactly as Bob Church indicates, and these are similar settings to what Bob illustrates on p12+ in his cmnote02. I believe that if you change the sensitivities in FS 2004 then you can get a zero figure at the detent. Also as I understand it you could insert the values that you want directly into the FSUIPC.ini file.

Regards

PeterH

• 2 weeks later...

Using FSUIPC, I calibrate the Throttle 1. Fully back (against the switches) I get a value of -16253. At idle (detente in CH) I get -13393, and at full, 16128

They sound like reasonable INput values, yes. You calibrate in FSUIPC to change the OUTput. If you calibrate max correctly you will always get 16383 for max OUT. Min would give you -4096 or similar, whilst the whole idle zone (which can be as large as you like) will certainly give 0.

You simply need to calibrate in FSUIPC by following the numbered steps in the documentation. It couldn't be easier. You are currently mistaking INput values for CALIBRATED values, which they are most certainly not. If the OUT value is identical to the IN value, then you haven't even enabled the calibration!

Pete

Pete,

I see you have had a good holiday - going at the forum 100% on return!

Please accept my apologies for being stupid, but you know there are some people who cannot programme their VCR ( Well, DVD!)

I have followed your documents, and those of Bob, extremely useful, but I am obviously missing something.

Having 5 times followed the documented method this evening, I still see OUT the same values as IN, despite having moved the axis and clicked a number of times, both at the start and end of null zones and end of travel.

I have SET and RESET as I did before, but .....

Please accept my apologies again for not seeing the obvious - when I was running the logistics for a VW car factory, I came to the conclusion that I was not an engineer ( as in the Vorsprung Dorschtecnik ads), but more of an artist with a mechanical bent..

thanks

Having 5 times followed the documented method this evening, I still see OUT the same values as IN, despite having moved the axis and clicked a number of times, both at the start and end of null zones and end of travel.

I have SET and RESET as I did before, but .....

If the button above the IN and OUT values says "SET" then the axis is not being claibrated. You click it to start the process (and it changes to RESET). Then you set each of the other four values using the Set buttons above them (same button for the centre range).

Please accept my apologies again for not seeing the obvious - when I was running the logistics for a VW car factory, I came to the conclusion that I was not an engineer ( as in the Vorsprung Dorschtecnik ads), but more of an artist with a mechanical bent..

thanks

It doesn't need any engineering or programming skill. If you understand enough to fly FS at all, or even install it correctly, then this is simple. Just because it has numbers instead of wobbling spots like the Windows calibrations doesn't mean it is any harder. Please refer to the numbered steps again and tell me exactly which ones are so complicated for you. What words exactly are so confusing???

:-(

Pete

Pete,

Thanks for your patience. The documentation is clear and concise.

I found (DUMB) that I had checked Map to 4 throttles on Page 1, thereby defeating all my attempts to separately calibrate.

It doesnt help I dont have any panels on the model I am flying, so I cant see the throttle movement, only via the EICAS on PM GC.

Still, all well that ends well.

Thanks for your excellent support.