The simFlight Network Forums

GPSOut NetBIOS Name Lookups

I'm seeing a strange behavior when using GPSOut that I cannot quite explain. I have GPSOut set to update COM2 every one second. What I see instead is while FS2004 is running every one second there is a NetBIOS broadcast on port 138 of my network. I can't be sure if this is GPSOut, FSUIPC, or FS2004 itself, and I will of course test that in more detail this weekend. The activity instantly starts when FS2004 loads and instantly stops when FS2004 exits. The timing of every one second however does seem suspicious given what GPSOut is set to do.

Can you think of any reason that GPSOut would need to learn all of the machine names on the network, or why the host OS (Windows XP) might try to do this as a side effect to something else GPSOut does?

I couldn't detect any serial output (yes I used crossover cable), but I have a slightly more complex setup as well that will need to be debugged over time. For now, I'm quite anxious to just better understand this strange NetBIOS behavior.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm seeing a strange behavior when using GPSOut that I cannot quite explain. I have GPSOut set to update COM2 every one second. What I see instead is while FS2004 is running every one second there is a NetBIOS broadcast on port 138 of my network.

No idea what NetBIOS is nor how to program it. There is no Netwrok code whatsoever in GPSout -- if there's any relationship it will be something you have installed whoch is hooking COM2. Check by using COM1 or any other port.

On Win2K or XP, WideServer by default sends a mailshot every 1 second so that its Clients can identify it. I have no idea what Ports Windows uses for its mailshot service.

Can you think of any reason that GPSOut would need to learn all of the machine names on the network, or why the host OS (Windows XP) might try to do this as a side effect to something else GPSOut does?

No, nothing of mine tries to do any such thing. Sorry.

Pete