The simFlight Network Forums

I own two different types of traffic ai add on, mytraffic2006 and the latest traffic 2005 from justflight. they seems to be alot of issues raised about poor framerates with my traffic 2006 so i put the program to the the test against it's rival. so if anyones intrested, here are the results.

the tests were done on the same system with the same conditions

1. my traffic2006

traffic 100%----- fs9 grinds to a halt ( but lots and lots of nice traffic)

traffic 50%------ fs9 still stutters badly

traffic 20%------ still not enjoyable

traffic 10%------ think i will stick with the default ai

2. justflights traffic 2005

traffic 100%------ runs as smooth as a babys bottom( and lots and lots of traffic!)

mytraffic really needs to sort this issue out because their getting left behind. framerates mean everything to us[/b]

I own two different types of traffic ai add on, mytraffic2006 and the latest traffic 2005 from justflight. they seems to be alot of issues raised about poor framerates with my traffic 2006 so i put the program to the the test against it's rival. so if anyones intrested, here are the results.

1. my traffic2006

traffic 100%------ runs as smooth as a babys bottom( and lots and lots of traffic!)

mytraffic really needs to sort this issue out because their getting left behind. framerates mean everything to us[/b]

First time posting? Great way to start out. "Frame rates mean everything to us"? Who? Everyone? Doubtful, Rich. Some of "us" run the addon fine with little or no issue. What exactly are the specs of your system? Please post them; it would lend insight that someone may offer assistance. In the mean time, let's not offer up comments on behalf of the simming public, shall we?

Traffic 2005 is still based on very old and ugly airliner models built with FS8 technology. They only feature a few paints at most airports.

When you make your settings so that you have the same number of planes in the traffic explorer, so to be comparable, you will notice that the frame rates of MyTraffic exceed the Traffic ones at most places - if you don't and compare 100% you just say a cherry is lighter than a melon.

Up to now, MyTraffic managed to win all serious performance comparisons. (with 4.0a patch installed and conversion applied if needed)

I strongly recommend that you install the 4.0a patch and run the DXT1 conversion since it seems that you are suffering under the DXT3 registry writing issue of some modern video drivers, this should solve the stuttering issue.

This said, I completely understand your wish to get improved framerates, "framerates mean everything to us". Indeed I spent the last months many hundred hours on this to get further improvements in this field. This process is converging to reach the beta state for a second patch within some weeks, the final version for FS9 will take somewhat longer, but still be in time.

Husain, is it possible to change the title of the post?

sorry if i upset any one, i will try the patch and will correct myself if thier is a diffrence. what i ment about " framerates mean everthing to us" is that above everthing else, thier is nothing that spoils an fs9 session more than poor frame rates, in my opinion. As for the "us" bit, try a search for framerates in this forum.I'm not on my own by a very long way

rich

I have also tested MYTraffic2006 against other packages and have obtained a results which are nowhere close to Rich's. In fact I run now MyTraffic at 90% and it's as smooth as baby's bottom. And looks good too.

Regards,

Tomasz

ok, i,ve downloaded the patch and done the conversion. what a diffrence.

now my frame rates are superb, well done

i wonder how many people have uninstalled mytraffic because of framerates and do not know about the patch. is it possible to include the patch in the download from simmarket or at least mention it in the download? not everyone visits forums and i don,t want other people to make the mistake i made and miss on a great add-on.

i appolgise for my mistake

Rich

There was no mistake on your part. Ignorance is only being misinformed, nothing more. It's just that so many peoples' view of addons is because it doesn't seem to work correctly, it's crap. Now you know differently. As I don't own the other product you mentioned, I'd be interested to hear how they compare now that you see it as it should be...

ok, i,ve downloaded the patch and done the conversion. what a diffrence.

now my frame rates are superb, well done

i wonder how many people have uninstalled mytraffic because of framerates and do not know about the patch. is it possible to include the patch in the download from simmarket or at least mention it in the download? not everyone visits forums and i don,t want other people to make the mistake i made and miss on a great add-on.

i appolgise for my mistake

Rich

I uninstalled the darn thing and run with 0 AI to get rid of the stuttering. Perhaps I didnt have the latest patch when I did that... hmm... guess I'll give that a shot again, twould be nice to fly around with some AI.

Sometimes good things come out of disenting opinion posts... nice to see not everyone deletes them as soon as they're posted. =)

Thanks a lot for claring up things. Well, keep looking into the forum from time to time, I am working on a free patch again that will give you another performance boost that would cost a lot if done by upgrading hardware.

The vivid discussion on this forum is extremely essential for the development of MyTraffic.

When I develop the software, I do it on one computer. I have one or two others available to cross check.

As example this hard stuttering issue.

I did not have this issue on my systems. I got the first note on it during the beta of MT2006 in November by one of the beta testers who had the effect on one system. There the change of an FS9 parameter could cure it. So MT2006 got released, and several cures by fixing some parameters published here.

Nevertheless, the number of complaints increased, finally I found a system setup with a new graphics adapter that showed the behaviour. It became clear that this isn't a general MT problem, but a problem with new graphics hardware or software.

While still working on fixes, it was a post by my good friend David R here who pointed into the right direction.

FS9 and its set of tools has been written for hardware built in 2003/2004. One of this tools distributed with FS9 is imagetool, a program to convert bitmaps into different formats usable for FS9. Most of the MT textures are converted to the DXT3 format using this tool.

Computing industry loves standards so much, that it invents a new every day - and so there are two different versions of DXT3 format around, and 2003/2004 GPUs make no difference on the two versions.

The newest ATI and GeForce6 chips do make a difference. Whenever the DXT3 format produced by imagetool gets loaded, they make a couple of writes to the windows registry and only than display the textures - these writes to the registry appear in storms and seem to be the reason for the hard stuttering - FS2004 isn't written for 2006 hardware and drivers.

No idea why the GPUs makes hundreds of identical writes to the same variable of the registry - they do.

So there remained two solutions:

a) Conversion of the textures to the DXT1 format. This does not have these writes to the registry, and is faster to load and to display.

b) Converion to the DXT3 format using DXTBMP by Martin Wright. This cannot be done in batch mode at the users side, and has no advantage since FS9 uses the Alpha channel for reflections only, not for the night lighting like FS8 did.

So the decision was to provide method a) in patch 4.0a and this seems to solve the problem very effienciently.

One problem, that I'm aware off, is that for some models the night lighting is broken. This was in the Alpha Channel of the main bitmap for DX 8, for DX 9 it is in the Alpha channel of the self illumination bitmap.

So I have to provide you still with models that make usage of this feature - which means that they have to be ported from the FS8 MDL format used by all aircraft designers up to now to the FS9 MDL - which is by far not a trivial task.

What I found out now in this process is that, besides bringing the night texturing to a DX9 compitable scheme, there are new possibilities to enhance the performance. They require working through about 150 different GMAX models, this has been done, looked at, some bugs had been created through this, and I'm fixing these now.

What you see is that the feedback on this forum is of essential importance - and I can only encourage users to follow the discussion here.

Husain, maybe you look into the MyTraffi.htm and find a nice sentence there...

1. my traffic2006

oO My goodness

Please, buy you a new Computer and don't flame!

I have installes MYT2006, 90% AI (to avoid overcapacity), GAP1-4, SG1-3 (aerosoft), ET Europe from F1, FSGenesis EU Mesh, AS 6 Wether Sim, and when i start a flight @ Mega Airport FF i have no performance Problems. Yes, all Settings in FS are set to high, i fly with 8x FSAA.

Pentium D930 (CPU important)

2 Gig Ram 533" dualchannel (important for the many textures)

Asus P5N SLI Mainboard

2x Evga Nvidia 9800 SLI (not so important to use 2 Grafikcards)

1x WDA 1500 Raptor Harddrive (mega, to load the textures faster!), the second drive vor Raid will be installed, too

SB-XFI Soundcard

To cache the Harddrive i use SystembooterXP http://www.systembooster.com/

An own Partition which is daily defragmented with O&O.

Ok not every Guy have an Computer like this, but self the second Computer (AMD 3200+ 2 Gig, Standard HDD, ATI x850) from my wife is still running with those addons, MYT set to 75%, FSAA 4x, AS6 with reduced Weather settings, without no perfomance problems.

OO and the Patch, i installed yesterday 1. Time, i had'nt any Problems bevore i installed Burkhards patch.

Hi Karsten,

I do not quite share the recommendation to upgrade the hardware. Computing power between todays low end (Sempron 2200 as example), that has the same power as upper end when FS2004 was born, and todays high end ( Athlon 64 4000+) just differs by a factor. You can run MyTraffic and some addons smoothly on an Athlon 1800 with A Geforce 2, if you restrict yourself to 1024x768 resolution, all sliders in a middle position, and have a combination of Chip set and Grafics card (drivers) that works smooth. Most performance problems are reported from so called "high end" hardware, when people spend much money for 30% imcreases of power ( advertisement calls that revolutionary breakthrough ) and aren't aware that already changing from 1024x768 to 1280x1024 requires 60% more power.

May I just resurrect this post with a question of my own please?

(OK, so I am not waiting for an answer :wink: )

I, too, have MYTraffic 2006 - along with severe FPS issues. I think I have the patch correctly installed, but I don't see much improvement.

Then I saw the various comments (Burkhard) about DXT 1 and/or DXT 3 textures. I am not really pusrsuing this matter too vigorously at the moment,, as I am building a complete new PC based on the FX62 / Radeon X1900 XTX (I sincerely hope that this will cope with present FS9 matters :lol: )

But the DXT angle seems interesting. Would this be graphics card relate? i.e. drivers etc.?

Yes, it is grafics and driver related. Please install SP1 and than execute the three procedures in aircraftmods for the boeing, for the airbus and the rest. This should bring a significant reduction of stuttering, and will be required to get the framerate improvements with SP2 that is with the first testers now.

• 1 month later...

So....dont really know where to post this, but here it goes...

I am VERY disappointed with every My Traffic product since the first patch to MT 2004 :( . I mean, look at the aircrafts, for example the frontwheel of the Boeing 767, the tail of the 757 or perhaps the whole front of the Airbus A300, A310, A320 and so on. In MT 2004(before the patches) the graphic were pritty good, but then it keept going downwards. Me, for one, wont buy MT 2006, when there's other similar products with ALOT better graphic. Seems to me you focused more on adding new aircrafts then the level of graphic on them.

Ps. Sorry for the bad english, english isn't my first language.

As example, the A300 hasn't been changed since MT2002 Version 1.3, it is just the same model. So, it cannot be it got worse, it may be your expectations and the average quality of MT aircrafts improved, so that the exactly same bird looks less attractive now.

If for a new version I would exchange all aircrafts by new models of higher quality, with new paints of higher quality, I would neither be able to give update rebates nor to produce it, given the number included, for any reasonable price - only under the assumption that everything that was in earlier versions doesn't count twice upgrade rebates are possible, and everything but he last but one version is worthless consumer prices can be kept.

It is true that MyTraffic has focussed more on quantity than on individual quality for quite some time. The pain missing models and missing airlines make counted harder than the pain of visuals if you are below safety distance.

The last one and a half year, another priority entered, and this kept me busy the last 6 months: That is performance. Today, with the service pack 2 for MT2006, I can offer to all users of MT2006 totally for free aircrafts which perform between 10 and 40 times better than those we had in FS2002, and also 7-10 times better than those applauded on the net.

So currently, I claim for MT2006SP2 to have the leadership in quantitiy and in performance, light years away from the competition.

I'm not unaware that there are requests for better looking models, and if you have followed the forum you may have seen an early release of the B737-900. Meanwhile this has shrinked to the whole 737 familiy, with more than 500 paints, already, and I claim that these new models can compete with every AI plane out there in look, bashing it in performance.

So future development of MyTraffic will try to balance the progress in quantity, in quality, without giving any compromise for performance, my understanding is that my users want exactly this. So I will produce new models, and I will exchange existing models, per new version on more or less a 50:50 base. You can help me by telling me which aircraft you would like to be replaced first - all the 737s, the MD80 and the Dash8s are in work for the next major release. Others tell me what new models they want to have, and this will form a new release that is superior to the previous in quantity and average quality without any compromise on performance. This will mean of course, that there will always aircafts above average quality and below that.