The simFlight Network Forums

CR Gorge - FS Genesis - FS Traveler mesh conflicts?

This is the Holger stuff I have installed or am trying to install:

Misty Fjords

Wenatchee

ut_bc-hs

cr_gorge & update

Misty Place

vicenh05

Mt. Ranier

This is the 3rd party meshes that I have installed

FS Genesis (38 m for Alaska, Canada, & West Coast)

FS Traveler (12m for all of Washington state)

I also have Ultimate Terrain USA and AK/Canada installed with appropriate patches

3rd party sceneries that may be affected

Freight Dogs

Emma Field

Georender 4

While trying to install CR Gorge I read that I need to move the FS Genesis 38m mesh to another folder and place it above Holger's scenery in the Scenery Library. I understand how to do this, but have some questions.

1. If I move all the FS Genesis 38m mesh that affects Alaska, western Canada, and Washington state as suggested, how will it affect areas in those places that are not covered by Holgers sceneries??

2. Is it possible to just disable the specific FS Genesis bgls that would conflict with Holger's sceneries located in Alaska, Canada, and Washington? If so, does anyone know which bgls those are, or should I write Justin and ask him?

3. Where would FS Traveler need to be in relation to Holger's sceneries so it too would be utilized? I am assuming it should be lower?

4. Would moving FS Genesis and adding it to the scenery library impact Ultimate Terrain? Will it impact Lago stuff or Freight Dogs?

Thanks so much for any help you can give me!

Hi Don,

the reason why I suggest those mesh "shuffles" is to ensure that, in the area of coverage of my projects, the mesh file we built the landscape on, receives display priority by the sim.

In general, FS has a pretty simple rule for mesh display: whichever one is compiled at the highest LOD (i.e., resolution) will be displayed, regardless of where it is positioned in the scenery library.

The potential for problems arises when two or more mesh files of the same LOD, but made from different source data or compiled in different ways, overlap spatially. In those cases the order of the entries in the scenery library becomes important, with the mesh file that is lower down in the menu receiving priority (the reverse from other scenery elements, like land class).

For this reason I suggest that people place their base terrain mesh (FSGenesis, FSGlobal, FSTraveller, etc.) at the very top of the scenery library menu so that any local landscape project will have its local terrain mesh file receive display priority.

Specific to your questions:

1. No negative effect because in the areas outside my projects the FSG mesh will be displayed as before.

2. Not really because most of the base mesh files cover huge areas, much larger than my projects. Thus, disabling those files means you'll end up with a large section of default terrain surrounding my areas.

3. The LOD10 FS Traveller mesh should also be at the top of the file library menu as described above.

4. The display of the individual elements of the FS landscape is determined independently. Thus, mesh will get sorted as mentioned above, land class will get displayed according to "normal" priorities (i.e., top = highest priority), vector and polygon data, like UT, will be displayed regardless of mesh priority, and same with the 3D objects included in Freight Dogs.

You'll sometimes read suggestions that all mesh entries should be placed at the bottom, then the land class entries above those, then airports, etc. However, the only reason why it is advantageous to keep those groups together is that it's easier to establish display priority within a group rather than trying to do that with those entries scattered throughout your library menu.

Hope that helps more than it confuses ;-) I guess the main message is that mesh files are independent of other landscape elements and that placing your base terrain mesh at the top of the scenery library won't impact any of your other add-ons.

Cheers, Holger

Thanks so much Holger for your quick response. Wow! I was doing it backwards! I, too, assumed from reading other posts that the mesh should be lowest in the menu so I put them right above Addon Scenery. I will move them today and go from there.

Also, just to clarify regarding the landclass and scenery, it is the opposite positioning? So whichever I want to have priority should be above the other (ie: FS Genesis vs landclass with Ultimate Terrain) and the land class should be below sceneries? I like the idea of keeping them in groups according to purpose as it would definitely be easier to shuffle within the group.

I personally find it easier to work with the scenery.cfg itself than moving stuff around in the library, but understand the concept either way and that the they are *opposite* one another in positioning. Seems when I move stuff via the library, I start getting glitches and will often see 2 things being assigned the same level # in the cfg file????

Anyway, thanks again for the help. I really do appreciate your hard work! It makes flying so much more enjoyable.

Cheers, Don

Hi Don,

you're correct that land class and scenery (e.g., excludes) priorities are the reverse from mesh priorities.

Whichever method you use for managing your scenery library you should regularly use one of the available tools to check the integrity of your scenery.cfg. I've been using Steve Greenwoowd's utility -http://www.fs-traveler.com/resources-g.shtml (third link from the top) - for several years now. It's simple and reliable (Also, Steve's website is still the best resource to learn about mesh design and display).

What many people don't know is that once you've selected the "up" or "down" options in the scenery library menu you can hold the Enter key to rapidly move around entries. Also, every time you make changes in that menu, FS will not change the scenery.cfg itself but rather create a newscenery.cfg, which will be read the next time you start the sim. Any further changes to scenery.cfg while a newscenery.cfg is present in the FS root folder can lead to "messing up" your scenery library. Hence the tip with using Steve's tool.

Cheers, Holger

Holger, thanks once again for your prompt reply!

I've been using Steve Greenwoowd's utility -http://www.fs-traveler.com/resources-g.shtml (third link from the top) - for several years now. It's simple and reliable (Also, Steve's website is still the best resource to learn about mesh design and display).

Thanks for the info, I will download and give it a try!

Also, every time you make changes in that menu, FS will not change the scenery.cfg itself but rather create a newscenery.cfg, which will be read the next time you start the sim. Any further changes to scenery.cfg while a newscenery.cfg is present in the FS root folder can lead to "messing up" your scenery library. Hence the tip with using Steve's tool.

Thanks for the heads up on this one! I did not know that, but it explains the anomilies I had at various times!

I appreciate your help in this and all seems to be working great now!! In some instances I can see a noteable difference in the scenery appearence. It even cleared up a problem I had always had at Blue Lake.

This is what my scenery library menu looks like now. Can you take glance at it and see if anything stands out that obviously needs to be changed?

Scenery Library Menu (listing as it shows in the menu)

1. FSG Mesh

2. FS Traveler - Washington Mesh

3. Red Baron NZ - Mt. Cook (must be above mesh)

4. Red Baron NZ Topo Scenery (must be above mesh)

5. Red Baron NZ Mesh

6. mesh Alps LOD10 by Ferranti & Sandmann

7. mesh Himalayas by Ferranti & Sandmann

8. US Columbia River Gorge landclass

9. US Columbia River Gorge scenery

10. British Columbia - Victoria - Landclass

11. British Columbia - Victoria - Landscape

12. BC enhancements for UT - landclass

13. BC enhancements for UT - scenery

14. MM-Windfall Harbor

15. MM-Mistys Place

16. GeoRender4 © 2003 Goldstein & LAGO

17. Active Scenery Objects © 2003 LAGO

18. Emma Field © 2002,2004 LAGO

19. FSAddon - Skykomish

20. FSAddon - Wenatchee

21. Lukla - Mount Everest

22. Lukla - Mount Everest_LC

23. FreightDogs landscape Misty

24. FreightDogs Airports

25. Misty Fjords Scenery

26. Misty Fjords Landscape

27. Active Scenery Objects © 2003,2004 LAGO (FS Enhancer)

28. UTCITY

29. FSGLC

30. Ultimate Terrain - USA

31. Ultimate Terrain - Canada/Alaska

32. Addon Scenery

33.- 67. FS default entries

68. ZZZ_Corrected_AFCAD_Elevations

69. Default Scenery

70. Default Terrain

General

BTW, I did want to mention 2 things that I don't understand and maybe you can explain them.

1. If I do not place Misty Fjords lower than Emma Field, then the scenery Goat Lake gets really messed up. (strange cliffs, hills where it should be flat, etc.)

2. If I do not place Misty's Place above the Emma Field Active Scenery Objects, then it is under water and really a mess.

Since these are 2 distinct areas (Alaska and Washington) I just do not understand why they conflict????? Have you heard of this before??

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. Guidelines Privacy Policy We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.