The simFlight Network Forums

How to reduce transient aircraft at a military airport

For the military traffic, is there anyway to limit a base to only the occasional transient? I used to fly EF111s, and we might get a couple of aircraft from other bases in there now and then, but 99% of the traffic would be our own planes. I have made a new "airline" for my old wing, the 20th TFS/ 66 ECW and new aircraft for EF-111s and F-111s and have made a "new" (actually old, since it was closed a while ago now) airport for EGUA (RAF Upper Heyford in the UK) with dedicated parking for these two types, and have made this airport the hub for the new "airline." It all seems to work, and I get about 50% 111 traffic there, but I also get a lot of other traffic, and this is somewhat unrealistic. For military fighters at least, aside from deployments or an emergency, 99% of the flying is done locally (which for us meant the UK and Germany mostly, but returning to Heyford at the end of the flight.) So my question is: how do I limit an airport to ONLY one (or two) types of aircraft or “airlines”? (We would have a rotating contigent of ANG KC135s come in from the states about once a month, so I'd like to have EGUA open to these also.) -- Grant

There are several things you can try, but first a bit of theory.

MSFS Ai traffic only allows flights From A to B. So you cannot start from the UK, drop a virtual bomb over B and than fly back to A. So you need a lot of military airports to accept AI to fly there and to get back than. As MyTraffic is set up, all airports do so, and when you end up with 50% outgoing and 50% incoming traffic that works.

The most easy thing you can try, but I didn't check since software ages if it still works", is that you go, in MyTraffic editor, to edit airports, than select EGUA and check the disallow incoming box. Than EGUA should no longer serve as destination, this should reduce the non-local traffic significantly. If you make it the second hub of a KC135 unit, a few of these should show up in addition.

If the airport was used by USAF only, you should change the country Code to N, and in addition uncheck the international flag, that should ban RAF that you will always have in other cases.

The other way would be to insure that many flights you want are done from your basis. The most easiest way I think of is that you take your setup and make a "create all files and traffic" for your unit as airline only, so now you get a small "Mymilroutes.dat" that contains USAF20thTFS only. You can now immediately import "Mymilroutes.dat" as forks - these flights will be there permanently, your airport will be 50% filled before any automatical creation. With just standard "Create schedules, ..." you should reach the 75% of your airline immediately.

Hand scheduling is an option for the the KC135 too, and do not tell me there NEVER was a Herc, so add one to Mildenhall :)

Hope this helps.

I can explain through this how the FSLive compatibility has been made. A set of schedules for airlines in the US has been included in the forks, with only property that the flight rule is IFX instead of IFR. Without FSlife Compatibility checked, this is converted to IFR and the flights are written. With checked, they are not written.

Thanks again for the quick reply! Yes, we had more than the occasional C130. I remember we even had an SR71 in there once for a few days. The guy was in from from Beale in CA, and stood out in the club because he had an ORANGE flight suit. He went back to Beale in a green one after a late night O Club trade. I understand about MT needing an A-B-A, A-B-C-A, etc, type of routing, so I had started adding short local routes like Heyford to Valley and back, etc. What exactly does "disallow incoming" do? (Or did do, since I understand your comment about software "aging" -- I am the guy who developed the Sail 95 and Sail 2000 America's Cup simulators in the 90s.) I didn't want to close the base to returning F111s. Well, again, thanks for the suggestions, and again, thanks for the product. Good fun, although I am hardly flying in FS9 anymore, and just spend my time tinkering. It's cool that MS made it so open-ended. It's a fun distraction from my "real" work, which these days is as a physical oceanographer at the University of Connecticut developing 3D dissolved oxygen models for Long Island Sound waters. -- Grant

Disallow incoming means the following:

Depending on fleet size and number of hubs, countries, etc for each airline a departure airport is drawn .A. For small airlines it will be in >90 of the cases the hub(s).

Than, a destination is drawn.B. A lot of checks and if all makes sense than an ABA route gets created.

The disallow incoming now is intended to stop your airport from being used as B during the automatic scheduling, to serve as destination for airlines home at other airports. So the traffic gets much less colorfull with this checked, and that is what you want here and to add a few manual C130/KC135 - sorry no SR71 yet - maybe a C141 and an E3, a T34 ?

On what you have done, maybe you check if you still have construction plans, textures, ship routes in your archive.

The oxygen dissolvement can get a problem even in a garden pool of 5 m**3. :lol:

I tried your suggestions, and successfully made and imported the forks, and set the airport to domestic only, but then when I ran create/schedules, files and traffic, I lost all my F-111s! The traffic left there was only US military, but no 111s. I double (and triple) checked that the country code for my USAF 20TFW was "N" and it was. Do the individual aircraft REGISTRATION numbers need to begin with "N-" for this to work? I am trying this now, so I deleted all the forks, and changed all the F and EF-111 registration numbers to have an "N-" prefix. (Somewhat tedious, a shift select or ctrl select would be VERY useful, but I understand that is hard to do, so failing that, what would not be as hard to do would be to get the item number from the list box and put the list box back up at this scroll position, so at least one doesn’t have to keep reopening this and hunting through the 1000s of list items. Or a wildcard search for the edit forks....)

Yes, low levels of dissolved oxygen are a problem even in small water bodies. A lot depends on the stratification of the water body. Warm water floats on top of cold, and won't mix very easily. Mixing gets regarded as a diffusive sort of process, dO/dt=K*d^2O/dz^2, which is also called the "heat equation," and is a well studied PDE, but like all PDEs complex in its behavior. The problem is in determining what the vertical mixing coefficient K is. It can vary from molecular diffusivity values of 1E-7 m^2/s in a strongly stratified water column up to 1E-1 m^2/s when there is weak stratification and strong mixing input from bottom stress due to currents or surface stress from winds. Needless to say, the vertical O2 flux depends on what this mixing coefficient is, and the fact that this can range over 6 orders of magnitude is rather problematic! Turbulence, which is what this diffusive PDE model is representing, is still not well understood.

Long Island Sound ends up with hypoxic bottom conditions in its Western end in the summertime, and understanding what causes this is a huge concern. Weaker winds and stronger summertime surface heating increasing the density stratification are clearly significant, but there are also biological and chemical factors involved such as the nitrogen input from all of NYC’s sewage plants in the East River, etc. LIS is also tidal, and that complicates things. My work also ties into global questions of carbon cycling, since the production/consumption of oxygen and the reduction/remineralization of CO2 and organic carbon are directly related, and current thinking is that at least half of this cycling occurs in the oceans and mostly in coastal regions. Anyway, it keeps me fairly busy, but it is important and interesting work.

I don't think any of my Sail 2000 things are all that useful at this point aside from the AI and the hydrodynamic model. The actual graphics models were done in POV Ray, which dates me! I do have a some 3D terrain database landscapes (including one of NY harbor) but much of what I've seen for FS9 (such as Aerosoft's Manhattan) are superior (although my models do have bathymetry.)

Anyway, thanks again for (another) very quick reply. -- Grant

A quick update. Changing all my registrations for the F and EF-111s to start with "N-" worked. It seems that the country code for the airline has no impact on what country MT thinks a plane is from, but that the first letter of the registration is what it looks at. At any rate, I now have the vast bulk of the flights being 111s by dissalowing incoming and making EGUA non-international. There are still a few other flights, but this is fine. Thanks again for your help. -- Grant

Yes, you found it while I watched soccer ;-)

Yes, if an airport is not international, the reg is required to be identical to the airport code.

There is a more easy way to get to the regs. In the Edit airline dialog, you can select a type and than press Registrations and get the list of registrations of that type for that airline only, that than is easy to change.

Airline country code isn't evaluated at this point, I have to check myself where this gets used, I assume in the weighting mechanisms to calculate the probability of a flight to take place.

Yes, I realized I could edit the registrations that way and did so. But after doing this, I was left with a bunch of forks for now non-existant registrations, so it seemed like a good idea to get rid of these. As far as I could see there is no way to access these aside from scrolling down to find each one individually: it would be nice if the Forks list stayed "put" after each deletion (or edit) instead of reseting to the top each time, or if forks could be accessed by airline or type as the registrations can be, or to have the forks be accessable from the registrations. -- Grant

I can tell you how I do it.

The forks are, if there are no My... schedules left, identical to MyOwnRoues.dat.

So what I make is to edit MyOwnRoutes.dat with an editor, that is the most convenient way. Than in the MyTraffic Editor I delete all forks and import the MyOwnRoutes.dat

Have to think about an internal fork editor.