The simFlight Network Forums

Replacement of Bangkok International VTBD

johng

I have just downloaded a scenery VTBS for a new airport which will take all the commercial traffic from VTBD in September 2006( siamavsim.com). Would it be possible to create a patch to make this change and add AI aircraft to this otherwise empty airport? I have never used MyTraffic Editor but if this could be done using this method a step by step tutorial would be essential for a newbie like me!

Well, this is a very simple operation to do.

I assume you have this airport with a well working AFCAD2 file. MyTraffic cannot influence the way traffic is handled on an airport.

Please take the MyTraffic editor manual to your side to read the details and view als the screenies, so here the steps.

1) Start FS9. In the menu "tools - traffictoolbox" select dump airports. Dump to the file "MyTraffic/aircrafts.txt", with log file "MyTraffic/aircrafts.log", (See manual how to do it ). Check the log that the new airport has no errors. End FS9.

2) Start MyTraffic editor and open the actual database, MT2006V40.myt.

Under airports, select import airports.txt. The number of airports should increase because of the new one. Save the database under another name so that you can always go back if you want, MT2006V1.myt as example.

3) Now the new airport is well known to MT editor. In this case you may want to do two more things.

Under airports edit select VTBS and view its properties. Please set the country (HS) manually, and add the name, the other settings should be reasonable.

a) disable VTBD for airliners and cargo. Under airports edit select VTBD and view its properties. Change the number of gates and cargo ramps to 0, and uncheck them. You want GA and Mil cargo still be there?

b) modify the airlines that move. Under airlines - edit airlines - select Thai international, Thai sky, Phuket, Aero Asia and what else you want to move, and modify the hub entry VTBD to VTBS.

save the database now.

4) The next step is easy, but requires some hours to compute, so do not wait to end it, but do it before you go to sleep, work, swimming or whatever. Just select "Create schedules, files and traffic", confirm the first screen by pressing OK.

5) Once the world schedules have been recalculated and compiled, all should be well.

1) Start FS9. In the menu "tools - traffictoolbox" select dump airports. Dump to the file "MyTraffic/aircrafts.txt", with log file "MyTraffic/aircrafts.log", (See manual how to do it ). Check the log that the new airport has no errors. End FS9.

Under airports, select import airports.txt. The number of airports should increase because of the new one. Save the database under another name so that you can always go back if you want, MT2006V1.myt as example.

I said that I was a newbie (add dummy)at this! have searched the manual but cannot work out how I create or find the MyTraffic/aircrafts.txt and the associated .log file so that I can check the airport (which has been installed OK into FS9 and FSNavigator). In MyTraffic editor I opened MT2006v40.myt but there is no listing for VTBS so I can't proceed from there.

I said that I was a newbie (add dummy)at this! have searched the manual but cannot work out how I create or find the MyTraffic/aircrafts.txt and the associated .log file so that I can check the airport (which has been installed OK into FS9 and FSNavigator). In MyTraffic editor I opened MT2006v40.myt but there is no listing for VTBS so I can't proceed from there

OK I finally worked out how the "dump" worked and I now have VTBS recognised by the editor and the new database file saved as you suggested as MT2006V1. I have edited VTBS with name and country checked International entered the number of gates and checked them and cargo. In VTBD Touristic and International checked, all gates and ramps 0 and unchecked and military cargo and combat checked. If these settings give me GA and military at VTBD and airlines and cargo at VTBS s far so good.

I am unclear about the next step (3b). When I reopen the database and select "airline", manage is the only one that gives me an option to edit. Is the list of airlines shown the one that I choose from and how and where do I modify the hub entry? I wil now go back to rereading the manual and see whether I can fathon this out!

You are on a good way... It cannot be described shorter and better than in the manual here...

Yes, with Airlines Manage Airlines you get a list. Most simply you click into that list and start to type Thai and it will jump to Thai International. Press edit, and you get what MT knows about Thai Airlines. Just change the D of VTBD to an S, and you see thousands of employees packing their stuff and all the tools and parts together - what a horror of work for these poor guys.

OK I think that I now have VTBS populated with the airlines which previously used VTBD as a hub. I will "create etc" later to confirm but everything looks OK in the editor.

One final (I hope) question. Is there an easy way to reroute all the airlines currently proceeding via a stopover at VTBD,eg qantas, to the new VTBS?

I saw on the news last night that VTBS is going to be, if not the largest,one of the largest airports in SEAsia in terms of traffic.

I assume you refer to the forks using VTBD?

I propose that you edit, with notepad, MyOwnRoutes.dat and replace all VTBD by VTBS. Than, in the editor, open your copy of the database, go to the maintenance dialog, delete all forks, import MyOwnRoutes.dat than as forks, and you should be fine forever.

Hi, in this case a quick create all files and traffic should do it for the moment - there are only a handful of more flights to handle from the forks and that should work, unless you really require every flight in the list to really be performed. You should be happy as it is now.

Hi, Everything seems to be working fine now. There are a few remnant airline aircraft,including some Thai and Bangkok Air at VTBD but they can stay! My eyes are getting tired after going through the MyOwnFlights files and most of the correct aircraft seem now to be at VTBS. Thanks for your help in getting this organised.

John

Every new airliner ( see A380 and B787) every new software ( see Vista) nowadays suffers at least 18 months of delay until really working, project schedules are only done by people who never did any real work themselves. So my assumption is that there will be flights sent into VTBD just because VTBS software will not work properly :lol:

• 2 months later...

I have been following these instructions as well but I have a problem. I am up to point 2 in Burkhard's post of 26th July but when I open airports.txt for editing I cannot find VTBS. VTBS is installed in my Addon Scenery. Would you kindly advise what I need to do.