The simFlight Network Forums

wide fs

Hey pete,

I am thinking about getting wide fs. The only thing that is stoping me right now is that i am computer illiterate. I was wondering if i dl wide fs and fsuicp will i need to do or get anything else. I just got a brand new laptop and want to run sb and weather off of it. do i need a cord to connect computers and will i need a network? The network part is what scares me. i run both computers through a cable lan line and the laptop is running through a router. I did a quick look through your web site to see if this kind of info was in there but i didnt finde anything. If it is in there just let me know and i will look better, or if it is anywhere else please let me know. thanks for your time

I was wondering if i dl wide fs and fsuicp will i need to do or get anything else.

As long as you have a fully working Network with no firewall problems between them, and both/all PCs are running WinXP (or Win2K) then WideFS should work straight-off, with nothing other than installation for you to do. There's virtually nothing you should change or adjust in WideFS in any case.

I just got a brand new laptop and want to run sb and weather off of it. do i need a cord to connect computers and will i need a network? The network part is what scares me.

Ah, I see. Don't get WideFS until you have overcome that and got everything Networked and working happily together. Yes, you will cerrtainly need them Networked. I'm afraid I cannot teach you how to do that -- the Windows help should be okay, and there are plenty of other sources of help including innumerable books.

i run both computers through a cable lan line and the laptop is running through a router.

Erthe Laptop is on a router, but the other isn't? What's this "cable lan line"?

If they are Networked (i.e they talk to each other freely and easily, then what's the problem? Why do you say "the network part is what scares you" and then say scary things to me like "cable lan line" (???) and "router"? I'm afraid I don't follow.

I did a quick look through your web site

I don't have any web site I'm afraid, only this humble Support forum. ;-)

to see if this kind of info was in there but i didnt finde anything.

Anything about what? Even if I had a web site why (how?) would I fill it with stuff about setting up Networks? I am no expert. I just did what Windows told me to. That's all I know. I am the last person to publish anything whatsoever about networks -- If I get into trouble with them I have to seek help like anyone else.

I know things about FS, and I can program. I know very little about the more complex side of Windows or the modern hardware. Even the Network code in WideFS is merely mostly a copy of stuff from Microsoft examples. My part is the interface to FS and making it all work efficiently by judicious data formats and protocol design.

Regards

Pete