The simFlight Network Forums
Burkhard

MyTraffic and Flight Simulator X

Dear friends,

first thanks to all of you to never ask this question. A few minutes ago, Hal Bryan has lifted the NDA agreement, so I can answer the questions I'm so glad you did not ask. :lol:

Flight Simulator X is a huge step forward compared to FS9 in many aspects, and a bigger step than the one from FS2002 to FS2004. AI Traffic isn't one of the focusses of these changes, but there are a lot of new features. Among these are gateways at thousands of airports that can be called by the AI aircraft to dock properly, push buck tracks, petrol cars, and so on. To utilise these features, AI aircrafts have to be modelled and configured specially for FSX.

FSX features a backward compatibility to FS9, that FS9 aircrafts and FS9 airports still work - but of course without all these new features.

Some details now are very different between the FS9 standards and what FSX defines, as example the parking radius that was half the length of the diagonal of the bounding box in standard FS9, and is half the wing span now - with the consequence that most FS9 heavies will not find a parking place in FSX as example.

So, while FS9 aircrafts work on FS9 airports properly, like they did, with FS9 schedules, they should never be mixed with FSX aircrafts, FSX airports or FSX schedules. Keep your FS9 AI stuff in FS9, and use pure FSX stuff for FSX as the safest way to avoid complete confusion.

To make this as easy as possible to you, I'm preparing two versions today.

MyTraffic 2006 Version 4.1 will be the last and ultimate AI package for FS9, with more than 3100 paints and a performance thought impossible beginning of this year.

MyTraffic X Version 5.0 will be the first version for Flight Simulator X. Since such a big change always is a unique chance for cleanups, some of the infererior models may be removed, but it will come with approximately 3000 paints of >150 aircraft series operating from more than 7000 airports - not a bad starting point I assume, and MyTraffic Communicator X can have its great days... This requires to have the final version of FSX in hands before release as you may expect.

As soon as both are finished, they will be published as a bundle, so that you can bring your FS9 traffic and your FSX traffic to the ultimate state, to be able to migrate very slowly as your hardware and your other software allows.

If you are not limited by disk space, you will have both simulators still for a while I assume.

I'm very glad to learn you are preparing two new versions of MT.

Could you tell me if MyTraffic X Version 5.0 will work immediatly with the french version of FS X, without fatal warning during installation process ?

I wish I could tell you such details. Development of the flight simulator core to my knowledge still is in progress, and national versions aren't available yet. It is very likely that inititally some options we are used for for FS9 aren't available for FSX, like addons to the ATC beyond what FSX delivers may not be available the first months.

Here are some things we've been able to determine from the FSX Beta.

1. Default GATE Parking sizes have changed:

Gate-Small 18M

Gate-Medium 23M

Gate-Heavy 36M

Others appear to remain the same.

2. Aircraft model radius is not used for parking of AI aircraft - the wing_span= measurement in the airplane_geometry section of the aircrft.cfg file is used. Half that value is converted from feet to meters - rounded up to whole meters.

This value needs to match the visual model wingspan at a minimum. The AIA B747's park with about 25% wing overlap.

Changing this value might impact flight dynamics.

3. Three entries in the ATC_PARKING_CODES= line can be read / used by the parking system. (This is based on testing with FS2004 AFCAD files)

4. There is a new parking type Fuel_Box

5. A huge # of airports have jetways as a default scenery property. The number of jetways which appear at some airports is based on the Scenery Density slider.

6. Heavy gate parking spots draw aircraft outline markings on the ramp - overlapping AFCAD parking spots look terrible.

7. Gate parking spots generate a pushback truck, a baggage cart and tug, a luggage loader about 15 feet from the front edge of the parking spot circle in AFCAD. Those are displayed at the highest scenery level.

8. AI aircraft will need pax doors, cargo doors and baggage doors defined in the aircraft.cfg file to make the Jetways, cargo loaders and baggage carts connect to the aircraft at the right places.

9. All parking spots now have oil stains on the ramp under the aircraft.

Thanks Reggie, more such things will add to the list I'm sure.

Short summary:

FSX is very different in detail to FS9. If we want to use the new features, we should never consider to install any FS8 or FS9 AI aircraft, airport or schedule to FSX - unless we are ready to play with situations were things are mixing up beyond control.

My advice: Do not install any AI traffic addon to FSX that claims FS9 backward compatibility.

Oh, and there are approx 2800 airport designator differences.

Commercial flights to Indonesia will have many new ICAO codes / designators - not too much elsewhere in the world - RJNN/RJGG already being known.

The new Bangkok airport is not in FSX.

GA flight plans will take a lot of work because there are hundreds of changed airports in the US along - Brazil has many also.

For those of you who get early hands on FSX, it is on sales since a few days already.

System specifications for MyTraffic X are the following:

- a powerful CPU, 3GHz or more. Multi Core is of little use, if you choose between a 3.2GHz single core and a 2.8GHz dual core take the first one.

- 1 GB of system memory MINIMUM

- a powerful grafics adapter, with 256 MB MINIMUM

like the GF 6800,7800, or 79x0 series, resp the ATI 9800 or 1900s.

With systems that have a slower CPU or a grafics card that contains a 6 as second digit, you may be happy at lonely remote places, but should avoid all busy places, even with all sliders at the very far left. Please anybody who knows better, correct me here.

Edited s few days later.

I got a positve report for a GF7600GS with 512MB, so we can add it to the above list. Large video memory seems to be very important.

A general information about Flight Simulator X.

To be Vista compliant, FSX will not store any settings the user can affect under the main directory, but all settings are to be found under the user profiles.

Since one can easily convincence oneself that if user A adds a scenery, and user B removes it again in such a scheme leads to a situation where even uninstallation of FSX and new installation does not help neither A nor B to be able to start FSX, the scenery configuration and the scenery database will be found under the all user profiles.

There is a copy of scenery.cfg in the FSX main directory, that is only used case there is no copy under "all users", to be copied there. Obviously, this means that the user is advised to warrant that the two copies are identical, otherwise beeing not able to access the all user profile will mean all scenery config settings are lost. If they are identical, a simple delete of the FSX all users profile will have the same effect as the "delete all scenery.dat files you can find" under FS9, solving many scenery problems by forcing a complete rebuild.

It also means that any change of the scenery config, and any start of FSX after any scenery change, can only be performed by users who have administrative rights to write into the all users profiles.

That this just eliminates all security that should be achieved through the above measures is obvious, in addition it makes management of scenery configuration and FSX settings much more complicated than things were in earlier versions.

You should therefore monitor what is in the FSX parts of the user and the all user parts of the profiles from the beginning.

MyTrafficX Version 5.0 will require changes to be made in both profiles, you should read the instructions and do the three steps described in there carefully - once you succeeded you will also see some advantages that come with this.

so how goes it on the forefront Burkhard? You guys seem to be the only ones who are actually updating us on FSX version work. I check the FSPassengers site every couple of days and no word on progress there. Also don't see much on the aftermarket aircraft companies, nor the freeware sites. I'm guessing they may have to wait til the official release date to let anything out but whatever.

Hello Burkhard, Hussein & Co

To echo SWVA5630's comment, I would also like to express my thanks for keeping us informed as much as possible. These days, it is rare indeed that the intests and concerns of current customers are taken into account - and I thank you for it.

I realize that making an add-on like MyTraffic must entail an incredible amount of work, and as in any business, it would be nice to forecast future sales. I can't help you there except to state that the moment MyTrafficX Ver 5 hits the Simmarket web site, I will be first in line to upgrade.

Greetings

Dave Britzius

(Cape Town)

Thanks for this encouragement. Indeed instead of making promises that I cannot hold about easy upgrades I started alread with early beta 1 to rebuild a new version. Partially the SP2 patch, the new items for version 4.1 and the completely new concepts of version 5.0 had to be done in parallel, that made things very hard, harder than ever I admit.

Version 4.1 got sent to the publishers already, and as I write this I can tell you that the Soundpatch for 5.0 (English version) is in the upload, and the German version will follow hopefully later today. For the other languages I need to get hands on their sound files, is anybody can help me he is more than welcome.

What is important for me is to make version 5.0 totally FSX compliant, using the changes methds and standards, and supporting the new candies like the jetways moving to the aircrafts, luggage cars to the right back, etc. All this is in final check now. But I know once 1000 eyes instead of few eyes look at it, we will find some items to improve...

Just to update you:

MyTRaffic 2006 version 4.1 and MyTraffic X version 5.0 are available as a bundle under

http://secure.simmarket.com/product_infts_id=2072

now.

As promised, existing costumors get a special rebate. The price is € 14 for both packages if you are proud owner of MyTraffic 2006, €24 for owners of MyTraffic 2004, and €34 for those who missed both of them.

Let me repeat her from the other post: If you already have dll.xml installed, use the installed one and do not replace it.

I've used MyTraffic in FS9 and enjoyed it. However, I'm worried that using it in FSX may kill my framerates.

Intel E6600, 7900GT 256MB, 2GB RAM

Do I need to be concerned?

If you do know that you are driving a Ferrari with 800HP over a curvy road with many trees on both sides, don't mind with that hardware. Just be aware that FSX, with settings "sparse" oftenly shows as much detail as FS9 with "very dense", so any attempt with "all sliders maxed out" is the same as full power on that road - and even blue screens have been observed with this ;-).

I successfully managed to get FSX tamed on much lower hardware, just tweaking some settings. I will post a little note on "how to tame that beast" tomorrow.

But maby I only read half of your question. MyTraffic shows as much traffic as FSX stock AI traffic(100%) with a traffic density of 25%. Using these settings, performance will be better with the MyTraffic aircraft than with the stock ones - at least where I tested or got reports up to now. It may equal in performance at 50-70%, so showing 2 to three times the number of aircrafts.

As example, the gain that I get when switching all shadows on or off is larger than the one when switching MyTraffic from 100% to 0%, tested at LSZH in this case.

Just to update you:

MyTRaffic 2006 version 4.1 and MyTraffic X version 5.0 are available as a bundle under

http://secure.simmarket.com/product_infts_id=2072

now.

As promised, existing costumors get a special rebate. The price is € 14 for both packages if you are proud owner of MyTraffic 2006, €24 for owners of MyTraffic 2004, and €34 for those who missed both of them.

Let me repeat her from the other post: If you already have dll.xml installed, use the installed one and do not replace it.

Okay, I am a user of MY2006, I bought it in December 2005, but I do not see where the discount is applied? I would like to see the updated price BEFORE entering my CC information on checkout, is there a special link or something?

Thanks in advance

EDIT - Never mind, I noticed I wasn't logged in @ simmarket. No worries it shows $14 Euro now :)

Hello,

I was happy to see this advertised and available so quickly for FSX however, the discount for my previous MyTraffic2004 & Mytraffic2006 purchages was not available to me. What should I do to take advantage of this offer?

Wilbert T Brown

wb2002@comcast.net

FSX airports do look very lonely without MyTraffic.

I have got FSX running quite stable at 20 FPS ( P4 3.4 EE, 2 GB RAM, x800 XT ) with most sliders set to medium ( but scarce Autogen.)

I do want to purchase MyTraffic for FSX, but may hold off until I get newer hardware somepoint next year.

I know Burkhard did a lot of work to optimise aircraft models for performance. Do we know if the new models offer better performance than the standard AI models included with FSX?

Also, do flying AI aircraft have a performance overhead above parked AI aircraft? Would it be beneficial to have airports full of parked aircraft but not many actually flying?

In another post today, I´already answered this partially, and another part of the answer came from the observation of the user.

http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.pb061b4251f

Just wanted to say thanks for MyTraffic FSX. I've found that putting the traffic levels at about 20-30 percent gives me more traffic than I get with vanilla FSX at 100 percent, with an improvement in the FPS.. which is exactly what I was hoping would happen (bought MT 4 times now, so I think I am getting to know the design philosophy!)

With 100% traffic density, you will get a performance loss. With 40-50% density, you will get twice the number of aircrafts, but still a slight performance increase, or the same performance as with FSX stock.

Detailed performance measurements had been done over the last months with FS9. As example comparing the new version 4.1 MyTraffic B737, its optical model only takes 1/30s of the power of the original licensed ones, and 1/10th of what the MS models or the very well known freeware high quality models take - so the tracking of moving aircrafts costs much more than their display - replacing them by unvisible ones doesn't change much.

The new Microsoft models are more detailed then the FS8/FS9 were, but rule very hard LOD settings, so details like weels and gears disappear very early. That should make them fast, but they need four times the texture size than the MT planes, and since we know texture memory to be one of the limitations of FSX, it may be that that is one of the reasons for the achieved perfromance gain.

You will also see the MyTraffic aircraft to have these LOD switches rather near to you. For your favorite aircraft, you can change this. Just look into the model folder, most aircrafts come with two versions of the mdl, like B738.mdl and B738x.mdl. The x model is the faster one. If you look into model.cfg, you will see it calls B738x . Just remove the x, safe it again, and it will call the normal model, which takes about twice the power for the visuals.

Apologies if this has been answered earlier, I couldn't find it through searching.

Is 2006 Version 4.1 available separately to those of us who are not interested in an FS X version?

Thanks,

Wilson