The simFlight Network Forums

Using GARMIN 176C with GPSOUT help needed

Hi,

I have been reading here and trying to get my GARMIN 176C (marine)

unit to read something..anything using GPSOUT with FS9.

I believe that not all units are capable of this..I think.

Some people have been able to get some older units working and mine is about 4yr old..

I have tried all of the information listed in my "sentence" and nothing seemed to have worked.

Interval : 1000

4800 baud.

My most logical choice in the GPS was NMEA In/NMEA Out.

I have these for choices also:

GARMIN DATA TRANSFER

GARMIN DGPS

TEXT OUT

RTCM IN

RTCM IN/NMEA OUT

RTCM IN/TEXT OUT

NONE

It states in the manual for NMEA IN/NMEA OUT: " supports the input/output os standard NMEA 0183 VER 2.3 data, and sonar NMEA input support for DPT,MTW and VHW sentences."

Does this pretty much sum it up for "IM OUTA LUCK'??

:lol:

Also..how can I tell if I have the correct COM connected? Both COMS are being said in XP are enabled and working? The GPS is not read by windows.

Appreciate any help on this.

Kind regards

James

It states in the manual for NMEA IN/NMEA OUT: " supports the input/output os standard NMEA 0183 VER 2.3 data, and sonar NMEA input support for DPT,MTW and VHW sentences."

Does this pretty much sum it up for "IM OUTA LUCK'??

Yes, I think so. I think your unit, like all three of my Garmins (Etrex Vista, GPSMap 60CXi and iQue 3600), has no facility to run with an external GPS supplying the positional data.

The NMEA type inputs will be for other things, not positional. Your GPS likes to act as a GPS, not as a Moving Map.

Regards,

Pete

I sent an e-mail to Garmin tech support some time back, inquiring if they ever planned to give their units the ability to accept NMEA IN so that the (any) handheld could be used as a remote map from another source (GPSOut). Their reply to me indicated they were rather offended that someone would want to send NMEA into it from another source. As though it would "infect" the Garmin. They don't get it. From a pure business sense, I do see their logic though. Lowrance does not subscribe to this same train of thought.