The simFlight Network Forums
Hans Exel

Ultimate Traffic

What is the difference between Ultimate traffic and MYtraffic?

I have MyTraffic but everyone of my friends says I should get Ultimate traffic.

Please let me know if they are right or wrong.

Cheers,

Hans

Having used MyTraffic for several months and Ultimate Traffic for just a few days, here's my take on the two:

MyTraffic does not use real-world flight schedules. It generates pseudo-real schedules based on which airlines are most likely to be found at particular airports. Ultimate Traffic (UT) uses real-world schedules, which are updated weekly.

There are pros and cons to both approaches, of course. With MyTraffic you get a good mix of traffic around the clock, whereas with UT you get lots of traffic during the day and much less at night (as in the real world).

Since MyTraffic does not depend on real-world schedules, you will occasionally find certain airlines at airports they don't normally fly into. On the other hand, with UT, you are limited to ONLY those airlines that populate the real-world airports, taking away some of the "fun factor" in finding the odd airline in places you don't expect them.

In my opinion, the handling of AFCAD files is much better in MyTraffic. MyTraffic puts its AFCAD files in a separate directory, leaving the original AFCADs supplied with FS2002 alone. UT actually overwrites the default airports, which has caused a lot of problems with folks who had their own customized AFCADs installed. UT wrote over the top of them.

The MyTraffic Editor allows you to customize the make-up of your traffic as much as you want...adding airlines, aircraft models, airports, schedules, etc. With UT, you will always compile the real-world schedules and airlines. There is an option in UT to add your own flightplans, but these are added to the initial set of real-world schedules.

UT has several very nice features, which MyTraffic lacks. Its user interface for setting up your AI traffic, airports, aircraft assignments, etc. is much superior to the MyTraffic Editor. Whether or not these additional bells and whistles are important is a matter of personal choice, of course. In addition, UT has a couple of AI traffic gauges that can be automatically added to the panels of all your flyable aircraft panels (a "Palm Pilot", which shows you the current flight schedule, including voice announcements of departures and arrivals and a TCAS gauge).

UT also has the ability to show a flightboard displaying all the departures/arrivals for a particular airport or airline and it can print out an authentic-looking flight schedule for any airport or airline. A very nice feature in UT is the on-line update feature that allows you to update new schedules, aircraft repaints, AFCAD files, etc. from within the program all automatically.

As for 3rd-party scenery add-ons, MyTraffic is much better at handling this than UT. The primary source of problems users are currently having with UT are related to 3rd-party AFCAD files.

In my opinion, both MyTraffic and UT are excellent add-ons. You can actually have both of them installed at the same time and switch back and forth between them.

Warning...neither program is perfect. That's because the AI traffic system in FS2002 itself is not perfect. I expect that FS2004, due in July, will fix a lot of the AI traffic issues and both MyTraffic and UT will be updated appropriately. At that point, your decision will probably be based on which program has the neater set of bells and whistles. Right now, UT wins in that category, but both program do an admirable job of giving you the feeling of lots of traffic and activity around you as you fly around in FS2002.

Hope this helps.

Best regards, Ron

Thanks Ron for this excellent reply. The biggest drawback that my friends are having is the fact that at busy airports they have to go around 4 or 5 times before landing is allowed.

Also they have to stand in line for takeoff for almost 15 to 20 minutes.

I know this is very realistic but for a game such as FS2 it is a bit much to wait so long.

Is this also your opnion? I think I will stick with MYTraffic :lol:

Hans

Tom Main (the author of Ultimate Traffic) had a good suggestion. When you're taxiing or getting ready for a takeoff or landing, set your ATC setting to around 50-75% when at heavily-populated airports. When you are just sitting on the ground waiting or after you've departed/landed, reset the setting back to 90-100%.

Works for me!

Best regards, Ron

This was a very civil approach to this debate. Fortunately the developers allow a limited amount of discussion concerning the "other' product. And yet I'd invite anyone to go over to the Flight1 sites and see the relentless castigation of MyTraffic by some users countenanced completely by the owners and operators of Flight1. I tried to defend some of the qualities of MyTraffic in their new forum and pointed out some of the deficiencies in UT and I was threatened with a ban and my posts were removed.

Look it. I asked for and received my refund for Ultimate Traffic. In my opinion, it is 50% hyperbole. If you look at what MyTraffic does - it does it very well and without the numerous hoops of relentlessly updating and compiling updates, the errors associated with that and the other miriad problems that are coming to light. At some point it is asserted that the real flight schedules will be made available - at a price. And for what - the product speaks about realism but in point of fact there are not many people who run 100% traffic especially with 3rd party scenery. What that means is pseudo realism. Moreover, I sat with Mobile Tower for 1/2 hour and listened and watched the Palm pilot watcher with its irritating robo-voice. Numerous flights were missed. All flights which landed disappeared into the abyss. No planes made it to the gates or parking. No planes took off. So someone says reduce the traffic - there goes the purported realism.

Its biggest problem is the third party issue. I cannot conceive of a product such as this coming out with all the attendant hyperbole and not a single AFCAD for the numerous people who have third party addon scenery. We were promised that all we needed to do was not check the 3rd party airport when it was AFCAD compiling and it would have instant compatibility. Yes, we were repeatedly reassured. So I did do as they suggested and it didn't work. Planes all over place, not arriving, disappearig...what a mess. Then the suggestion was we had to now go through numerous hoops to get the stuff to work which several people tried (including a beta tester) all unsuccessful. Yes, they'll start churning out the AFCADS after all the complaints. MyTraffic has it ready to go. No fuss, no muss with the extensive 3rd party compatibility list above.

What about the Status Board? Nice diversion. Imported from one of their other programs. But a diversion it is. You can sit there on your desktop listening and watching the list to the numerous flights purportedly taking off and arriving from your favourite airports. Then you have to shut it down and go into FS2 otherwise you will be sucking up cycles and memory and it doesn't operate within FS itself anyway. And when you get to your 60% traffic airport you'll see that 40% of the flights aren't arriving or departing anyway. Realism? I think not. As I said, the Status Board is a nice diversion but I didn't buy FS to look at a status board. I bought it to fly.

What about the Palm viewer which you can open in FS itself? Again, numerous flights not evident and less if you've had to cut back traffic because of disappearing traffic and traffic not taking off, etc. After you've listened to the irritating robo voice qua C-64, Apple IIe circa, for more than a few minutes you'll want to shut it off not only because it's a cycle and memory hog but because, well, it becomes irritating.

Loss of alleged realism. A few bells and whistles and lots of hyperbole. MyTraffic does it all without the confusing interface and the hyperbole. Quick and easy with a large third party addon support.

It's my opinion after playing with it for a week.

I also want to thank the administrators (i.e, developers of MyTraffic) of this Board. I never saw on this Board what was allowed to occur on Flight1 Boards with the disparaging remarks incessantly made of MyTraffic. It's true, I was not happy for the extra cost involved in the new planes which were optional for MyTraffic nor that you had to pay extra for the editor (even though I don't play with AFCADs and overplays so not a problem with me). but what passed for civil inquiry there turned out to be mass hysteria, hyperbole and several barbs directed towards MyTraffic. None deleted.

I'm glad UT is off my drive and MyTraffic continues with its quiet and relentless efficiency.

That's my opinion for all it's worth.

I think we would better wait till July and see how it all develops. In any case UT will give additional impetus for Burkhard to keep working on MyTraffic. I know he does constantly. But competition in this case would not harm.

It was a good remark about "some fun" in MyTraffic. But I should tell you that sometimes the fun exceeds all imaginable limits.

It's too much when Russian Airforce AN-124 is found in Washington, D.C. or Tel Aviv. Or regional Russian airlines (I am not aware of myself - living in Moscow) making final approach in Norway.

But we all should understand that we are playing a game after all!

Thanks for all those comments.

Concerning the Antonovs: During the war, all operational Antonovs were wet chartered to the USAF - I saw a lot of them in the endless chain USA - EDDF - Near East (operated every 15 minutes) which currently consists of 50% C17, 25% C5, 10% C141, 10% all white old 747s and 5% chartered from the rest of the world, among them Il76 and An125.

I agree that competition forces to improve - I welcome it. I also am aware of the way some PAI activists who are on UT payroll now write about MyTraffic - and am grateful for these no cost advertisements.

Burkhard,

I can't believe it was happening! Apparently Russian mass media, being openly on the Iraqi side (until it all turned into a show with armies disappeared) kept this information closed.

Okay, we don't play politics here. But your remark is truly thrilling!

Thanks!

That is even not politics - it buisiness only. In these days, charter rates for aircrafts that could take more than 50 tons of large cargo were good.

Of course - from seeing them on the US base at EDDF, it can also be they went to Afganistan or one of the other 1000 crisis places around there. We know due to the bad accident that Spain had their troops transported by Ukrainian Antonovs.

It was Yakovlev-42 crushed in Trabzon, Turkey, to be exact.

You, Burkhard, filled the traffic with so many Yakovlev-40 - a larger Yak-42 would be a good addition.

Airport in Trabzon - though on the shore of the Black see - is very difficult. I was there twice. But the Ukrainian crew's actions on approach were really odd. They made exactly the same fatal error as in Esphahan, Iran, in spring on a brand new Antonov-140. They simply ignored procedures and were making the third approach with GPS.

Keep wondering. Just humans!

Hi all,

If you want to take off quick, jump the clock forward 10 mins and most will be gone.

To Leonard, please point me in the direction of these detrimental remarks about My Traffic made by or endorsed by anyone involved with Flight 1.

Martin

TbScotland

Go to the FlightOne site, and take a peek at all the posts which have been made under the Ultimate Traffic Forum. That Forum has now been frozen and the new Forum created. Do you know how to search? Do it. Some of it is easy because the Title of the Thread Starts with "Ultimate Traffic and MyTraffic" etc. Tough to search ain't it? Let me give you a little taste. Here's a taste of one pejorative and sarcastic post:

" Topic: FOR SALE MyTraffic One Shilling only!" http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_p=4339&PN=7

With the developer chiming in approval at the posters apparent joy.

Leonard:

The Yak42 will be in SP3 - you are lucky, painted in more than 20 liveries, from Aurela to forgot most names already, well, the callsigns have been made. Its the good thing that many of the Russian airlines are named after existing airports. I will have to reduce the number of Aeroflot Yak40 significantly too.

It will be a long way to have all 200++ local Russian Airlines. First thing we will need is an AI friendly GMAX Tu154, Romans one has no LODs. I think I could make one if somebody makes the 60++ paints needed.

OK Leonard...followed your link.

This has been posted by regular simmer, not Flight1 staff and the thread is locked. The F1 reply does not "run down" MyTraffic in any way.

Any more where your rediculous claims are actually to be found?

Martin

>made by or endorsed by anyone involved with Flight 1.

Did you not say this? Maybe it was an out of body experience when you uttered it. It is THEIR SITE. They have complete control over everything which passes under their purview. They can delete any objectional material that passes on their site. By allowing this plainly gratuitous offensive remark they have endorsed it.

You are obviously self-interested in preserving any modicum of respectability for F1. I have little consideration for whether in YOUR opinion it was offensive. Try posting such a post on the EagleSoft site and you will be off their site quicker than you can imagine.

Secondly. Unless you are particularly inept at searching I will leave it to the posters to determine your laziness at pursuing these. Maybe I'll make it easier on you. Let's narrow your search to the new site. That way you wont be obssesed that that site is "locked" (heaven knows what that has to do with anything).

"not Flight1 staff"

I said:

> relentless castigation of MyTraffic by some users countenanced completely by the owners and operators of Flight1

Do you know the meaning of "some users"?

Do you know the meaning of "countenanced"? Sorry, maybe I should have made it more palatable for those not inclined to look beyond monosyllabic words.

Well. For our community members whose native tongue isn't English you might have written in a plain way. But "castigation" and "countenanced" made me look into a vocabulary.

Thanks.

Leonard,

You obviously have a bee in your bonnet about Flight 1

relentless castigation of MyTraffic by some users countenanced completely by the owners and operators of Fligh

There was no relentless castigation of My Traffic. I agree that some negative posts were made referring to My Traffic by Forum members but this is simply freedom of speech. Such posts are not removed by moderators in the same way that your offensive remarks regarding Flight 1 have not been removed from this forum.

"Countenance" means to support or approve.

Flight 1 does not countenance any such remarks regarding MyTraffic. Nor do they censor them......why should they? If they are not accurate then this would have been jumped on.

I have been a huge MyTraffic fan since its first release. I have also been involved in the creation of UT and was a beta tester. I consider both to be excellent in different ways.

Again I point out that neither the owners or operators/staff of Flight 1 (even beta testers) have ever castigated MyTraffic.......... they have too much respect for the author and all work that is involved in making such a program.

With regard to being able to search...........

There is no point as the claims you refer to simply don't exist.

Martin

There was no relentless castigation of My Traffic. I agree that some negative posts were made referring to My Traffic by Forum members but this is simply freedom of speech. Such posts are not removed by moderators in the same way that your offensive remarks regarding Flight 1 have not been removed from this forum.

Has nothing to do with freedom of speech. It has everything to do with cheapening the competition by, for example, stating that MyTraffic is virtually worthless and then having the developer on the self-same thread acknowledging the poster's position implicitly. It was offensive and should have been removed. If this were a matter of freedom of speech than my posts stating the benefits of MyTraffic would not have been removed. They were removed because the owner didn't like his new product stacking up against the competition. So my bonnet is quite fine. Yours might be too tight.

Flight 1 does not countenance any such remarks regarding MyTraffic. Nor do they censor them......why should they? If they are not accurate then this would have been jumped on

LOL! You are naive aren’t you? State it right now then. Is MyTraffic worth a shilling? Come now. Let’s hear it.

have also been involved in the creation of UT and was a beta tester

I figured as much. And no one is stating you can’t like or love UT. This is not about liking both, or neither or whatever other sentiments you are presently experiencing. This is about F1 allowing the kind of cheapening discussion I quoted above. One could have argued, if it was a lone post that maybe the developers and administrators overlooked it (or them). But in fact the developer posts immediately after it. Quite indicting. And it is worst in that my posts touting MyTraffic were deleted. Yeah, this is really about freedom of speech.

Again I point out that neither the owners or operators/staff of Flight 1 (even beta testers) have ever castigated MyTraffic.......... they have too much respect for the author and all work that is involved in making such a program

Who in the world stated that they ever explicitly castigated MyTraffic? It was that they allowed these posts to occur on their site and therefore they implicitly endorsed them by not censoring them. They’re not stupid enough to plainly state their dislike or disdain. It takes a particularly cynical argument to suggest that that is what one should have expected.

There is no point as the claims you refer to simply don't exist.

You just admitted there were “negative posts”, lol! So we have so far established the following:

(1) You’ve acknowledged there were “negative” posts.

(2) You’re too lazy to search.

(3) You have a self-interest in preserving any semblance of integrity (being a beta-tester of UT) of F1.

(4) You won’t acknoweldge that stating MyTraffic is virtually worthless (a shilling) is offensive.

Your opinion is of little weight.

stating that MyTraffic is virtually worthless and then having the developer on the self-same thread acknowledging the poster's position implicitly. It was offensive and should have been removed

The original poster said that UT was a fantastic product. Mr Main replied "Glad you like it. Other inferrences were made by the poster, no acknowledgement made by Mr Main.

State it right now then. Is MyTraffic worth a shilling? Come now. Let’s hear it.

It certainly is worth every penny I paid for it and I personally prefer the workings of it to UT.

But in fact the developer posts immediately after it. Quite indicting. And it is worst in that my posts touting MyTraffic were deleted. Yeah, this is really about freedom of speech.

Already dealt with and the first part, as for your posts I will get back to you ..........I can only assume they were either inaccurate, offensive or idiotic. You should not be touting MyTraffic in a UT Forum, that's obvious.

Who in the world stated that they ever explicitly castigated MyTraffic?

You did (remember the meaning of countenanced ?), and I quote........

the relentless castigation of MyTraffic by some users countenanced completely by the owners and operators of Flight1.
You just admitted there were “negative posts”, lol!

Correct.

Again, and for the last time, no representative of Flight 1 has at any time countananced the castigation of My Traffic.

The original poster said that UT was a fantastic product. Mr Main replied "Glad you like it. Other inferrences were made by the poster, no acknowledgement made by Mr Main.

Uh, I guess you missed the heading. Pair of glasses might help.

It certainly is worth every penny I paid for it and I personally prefer the workings of it to UT.

Sorry, this doesn’t jive with what you said here If they are not accurate then this would have been jumped on. . The heading was very offensive and the developer didn’t “jump” on it.

You did (remember the meaning of countenanced ?), and I quote....

Do you know the difference between “explicit” and “implicit”? I guess not.

Again, and for the last time, no representative of Flight 1 has at any time countananced the castigation of My Traffic.

Say it as many times as you want it’s still not true because you don’t understand basic concepts such, “countenanced”, “implicit”, “explicit”.

The heading is a smart ass, attention seeking banner. It is one individuals opinion and may possibly have been meant as humour. The poster indicates that he prefers UT to MyT....... BF'nD.

The same forum also has a subject line "UT ruined my sim"

As far as I am concerned this subject is closed. If you feel the need to throw any more insults my way please mail me direct.

Martin

The heading is a smart ass, attention seeking banner. It is one individuals opinion and may possibly have been meant as humour. The poster indicates that he prefers UT to MyT....... BF'nD.

Lame excuse but what one expect from someone who participated as a beta tester with UT.

As far as I am concerned this subject is closed. If you feel the need to throw any more insults my way please mail me direct. [/ii]

No insults. Just truth.

It's unfortunate that UT and F1 had to take the low ground but for a buck some people will do anything.

Hi,

Please refrain from flaming on this forum. We respect your freedom of speech but must ask that insulting comments be avoided.

I didn't note one of the more outrageous posts on the F1 site where the poster indicated he was going to take a "dump" on MyTraffic (i.e., as opposed to dumping it).